1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Autobalancing.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by raptor, Jan 8, 2006.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes, increasing teh hit dice (ths also ab, saves, feats, stats etc) should increase CR. Or just not increase it in the first place.

Unfortunatelly it does not seem like anyone knows how to change this.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It can probably be fixed. The problem is that most modders don't have an interest in modding IWD2. Hell, I might even look into it myself.

3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

There's one modder whose name I do not remember who seems to specialize in player combat scripts. I wish that he'd work on enemy scripts and here's my reason why.

Only a certain percentage of players actually use the computer AI scripts for their own parties. I certainly do not. Part of the fun of the IE games is that *I* control my parties. I don't want to let the computer turn battles into a hands off movie that I only watch. That said, I know that other people probably feel differently.

However, if one improves the combat AI scripts for the ENEMY, everyone who plays the game gets to experience the improvement, the upgrade to difficulty.

FYI, I've been thinking about doing some IWD2 modding. It interests me more than BG2 modding.

One thing that I'd do would be to make traps much more of a factor in the game.... which, BTW, I've already investigated and have figured out pretty much exactly how to do it, and how to get around most, if not all, of the standard player "workarounds" for traps. (It is surprisingly easy, with a little thought and ingenuity. I haven't tested it yet, but is ought to work.)

4. packrat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As far as I know, Auto-Balancing only adds enemies.
    To increase enemy levels, you have to use HoF mode.

One area to see Auto-Balancing is AR5000 (Wandering Village).
    As your party level increases, Thvara adds more Barbarians to her group.
    Some of them will be Shamans (Divine casters).

The only downside is you won't get any XP for this larger, more challenging group. Your Party level will be too high.

5. nunsbane

nunsbane

crucis, are you going to fix the enemy mages? They are exceptionally lame. When the mage in (HoF) dragon's eye prison attacked my monk, he and the his troll buddy were tough so the battle lingered. Eventually he summoned an elemental without casting PfE. Luckily for him and the troll the elemental was attacking me so I went invisible and the elemental immediately began attacking the troll. So, the mage did the only *logical* thing and summoned antoher elemental to his aid...and then another until the three elementals overwhelmed the troll and that inbred hedge wizard. What wizard would have atleast three summon elementals and not a single PfE spell?

6. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

nunsbane, I really don't know a thing about combat scripting in IE. That's why I started off that post mentioning the person who seems to specialize in player scripts, and how I wish that that person would work on improving the enemy spellcaster scripts.

As I stated before, I never use the AI scripts for my own party. And I imagine that plenty of other players think as I do. That's why I with that people who understand combat AI scripts would focus in improving enemy AI which is used 100% of the time, not player AI which may not get used all that much.

7. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have to agree with most of the opinions here that Gate and Summon elementals aren´t that nice as many people thinks.You can´t control them and they have a missbehavior that amussed me,due to that, they often run away from your fog of war and do nothing at all.
    I mostly used summon animal companion, or monster or my favorite: undead.
    But in the specific battle in the courtyard, I just buff my party to the max, go upstairs and let the fun begin. The clerics cast Holy word, it works wonders here, wizzy cast power word stun and the like, chaos, slow, confusion.
    In the 90 % of the cases I survived the figth

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.