1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prop 8 Goes the Way of the Dodo

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's Attorney General Jerry Brown actually.

And the 9th Circuit didn't uphold Prop 8. They decided to stay Judge Walker's order to allow gay marriages to continue until they can rule on the appeal so that there is no confusion (i.e. allow, disallow, allow, disallow nonsense). As I stated above, it is doubtful anyone wanting to appeal will have standing to do so.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the effect is the same (given that I said "upheld for now"), but yeah, poor wording on my part.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't know why I thought it was Mike, and not Jerry, Brown.

What I don't get is if it is doubtful that anyone having standing to appeal will request an appeal, why is the Circuit Court involved? If there is no appeal, then why would the Circuit Court consider the case? I don't understand the legal process at work here.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The 9th Circuit has to tell those trying to appeal that they have no standing. The 9th Circuit it going to let them argue that they do have standing and what it is.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Prop 8 was ruled unconstitutional because it contradicted the US Constitution (equal protection). The Constitution doesn't have to have a specific section for each possible law in order to say 'something' on the issue. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where something wouldn't comply with the Constitution, yet not contradict it, either.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, but I think we are arguing semantics at this point. If the US Constitution had a part that read, "you cannot pass a law restircting gay marriage", then yes, the CA Constitution would be directly contradicting the US Constitution.

However, since the US Constitution remains silent on marriage in any form, there was no direct contradiction, but the amendment in question was certainly up for interpretation. That's the primary function of the judicial branch of the federal government - interpreting law. That this judge ruled against the CA Amendment doesn't mean that it was always apparent that this was so - interpretations of law change over time.

For example, it was unthinkable in the 1700s (and even the 1800s for that matter) that women should have the right to vote. (Incidently the 90th anniversary of Women's Suffrage in the US is today.) Up until 1920, women not having the right to vote was not seen as contradictory to the US Constitution, but it is now.

Or take the current immigration law in Arizona. If it was clearly contradicting the US Constitution, there wouldn't be so much debate as to the legality of such of law.

Again, I think we're arguing semantics here. Cases where there is room for interpretation either way typically involve laws that are not necessarily (or at least not obviously so) contradicting the Constitution. If such were the case, they'd never get on the books in the first place. I view such examples as not contradicting, but also not complying with the US Constitution. I see your point, but I view it somewhat differently.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's what I was thinking as well, but I also see Aldeth's point. I guess the distinction lies in whether the non-compliance has to do with the actual intent of the proposed law, or whether it is more of a side effect.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think it has to do with whether you consider the 'contradiction' to be a direct and obvious contradiction or a contradiction of someone's interpretation. Since the entire Constitution seems to be about interpretation these days (go living document!), I figured the latter.

Now, do you think this invisible elephant is more mauve or burgundy? :)

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Dang it! There you go with those false dicotomies again - the elephant is obviously pink!

And Splunge pretty much has it right regarding my viewpoint. Side effects, unintended consequences, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.