1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prometheus has landed!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I went and saw the movie, Prometheus, last night. Pretty awesome. After seeing it, it seems like the Space Jockeys are even more evil than either the Aliens or the Predators. At least the Aliens are living according to some kind of animal instinct, and the Predators have a code of honor when it comes to hunting. But the Space Jockeys have a real genocidal agenda about them. My suspicion that the Aliens were sprouted from the Space Jockeys developing a biological weapon of mass destruction that ran away on them proved correct.

Personally, I think this movie should have been made well before they ever went anywhere near an Aliens vs. Predators movie.

The Space Jockeys' biological weapon seemed to take a page or two out of the X-Files 'purity' concept, except the Space Jockeys' black oil genetically warps whoever comes into contact with it, turning any creature it touches into a far stronger and more feral version of itself.

One of my minor complaints was that the events whereby the black oil led to the development of the first face hugger and thus Aliens proper as well seemed pretty contrived and far-fetched.

Also, there seemed a gap, since I still haven't seen an explanation for how that Space Jockey who was chest-bursted in the chair of that ship (in the first Alien movie) got there to begin with, surrounded by all those eggs. Maybe this will come during the obvious sequel.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Are any of the Alien vs. Predator movies even taken seriously by the Alien fanbase? I thought they were basically the equivalent of video game movies.

(For that matter, I'm not sure purists even take Alien 4 seriously.)

Interesting about the space jockey.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Coming from an Alien fanboy, I will say it flat out that the AVP movies are considered to be utter trash, by the fanbase. Alien 3 and 4 are accepted, but not accepted with a huge smile - to put it that way.

Prometheus, however, was excelent.

Beren. You know that sealed chamber they found the black goo inside? I don`t know if you noticed, but it has a xenomorph mural\painting directly above the jars. Huge sign, right there :)

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I went to see it largely due to the positive opinions of you guys. Everyone else said it was crap. Everyone else was correct. There was the seed of a good movie in it but it was just so poorly done. It felt rushed and shabby, the acting was abysmal. Noomi Rapace was horrendous, couldn't even keep a consistent accent but floated between your average Swedish school English to Swedish person trying to speak British. Awful. Why put a not old actor in old age make up and not use a very old actor? Why was the entire mission so exceptionally stupid? This strip sums up the movie pretty well: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/13

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By contrived and so on ... the heroine just happens to have an emergency medical unit to bail her out in the nick of time? Well ...

But I did wonder about the IQ of some of the characters though.

Fifield gets pouty to the point of splitting from the rest of the team?

And what hell kind of biologist was Millburn anyway? I'm a layman, but even I know one of the almost universal truths about any wild animal. You try to touch an animal that is unfamiliar (i.e. not domesticated) with you, it will feel threatened and have its survival instinct triggered.

And what happened to Vickers' joystick that she couldn't run right or left?

But on the whole, I did enjoy it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.