1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Project Eternity - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by hannibal555, Sep 14, 2012.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, you make a very compelling argument Tal. I thought I was being original there and thought SP was the last bastion of active old school rpg love. I was tempted to donate myself but thought it could be more fun to do it through SP and help breathe new life into the community.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, like I said, I'm not inherently against it, but I'm glad you brought it up because I probably wouldn't have done it myself, but that's just me. Stick in the mud and all that. ;)

Everyone, please vote in the poll here: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58007 !

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow. When I saw this on Friday, they were at $250,000, and I thought they had a long way to go. Now, two days later, they've hit their target and are on to "stretch goals".

Of course, this is just pledges. I wonder how many people will actually put up the cash when they're asked to honor their pledges.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think that they kick in by the end of the collection? Not sure though. But I haven't heard of any significant withdrawals after the fact.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Stretch goals 1 & 2 achieved. I doubt there will be many withdrawals of pledges. Thee will be a Mac version and the story added to with new locations, quests, NPCs and special loot. The backers are strong IE games fan and many if not most are Planescape/Torment fans.

It is impossible to keep up with all the posts but I have only seen a few that I considered really obnoxious. One had posted about 10 AM EDT complaining that Obsidian had not given us an update. It was then only 7 AM on the West Coast. The responses to the post, including mine, pointed that out rather strongly. Later on there was an update posted.

Speculation and wish lists galore mostly. So far I haven't seen any really hostile arguments but one moderator did post saying if we found a post offensive to report it. Guess something was said I missed.

You authorize Amazon to pay out the money. They say they will set up payment through PayPal but I do not think it has been done yet. You can change or withdraw your donation through a button on the Kickstart page.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Itll still be useless to me unless there's an IPad version. I only use a PC at work and I hardly ever get time in front of our Mac at home.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Better stick to Simpsons: Tapped Out and Temple Run then....

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hate to be selfish here, but I sort of hope that they don't include an iPad version. My understanding from BGEE is that the interface differences are extreme enough on mobile devices that this would be a huge undertaking. Windows, Mac and Linux are already on the list - that's the holy trinity right there.

Project Eternity seems to be about going back to our CRPG roots, and a mobile platform isn't part of that. I'd much rather see the story expanded, more side quests, etc. Let Beamdog worry about iPad ports for the time being.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Nykidemus likes this.
  9. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that once they're past 2,5 million or so, an iPad version will be announced.

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If they get too much higher than 2.5 million, which they likely will, I think the current release target is going to start getting iffy.

Hopefully we'll see a few of these features included in a post release update. I'd vote for iPad support, should it be included, to be a post release item. :holy:

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Most 'withdrawals' tend to be from credit cards bouncing (is that the term one uses for credit cards?). The vast majority of projects I have backed have had a certain proportion not come through, although it's small.

12. Marceror

Media:
    1.8 million stretch goal reached. :)

13. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Kinda scary how fast this goes. I really wonder what sum they will end up after the remaining 25 days!

They also stated that the will be Using the Unity-Engine for the Game.

14. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

That's not about being selfish. It's about being realistic. iPad's shouldn't be for complex games (and I'm using the term loosely here). If you're sitting around playing BG on it, you might as well go home to your PC.

If I were them, I wouldn't completely waste my time making it for the few people who would benefit from it.

15. Marceror

Media:
    I tend to agree with you Nizidramanii'yt, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Once they have a bazillion dollars, as Tal suggests, it seems plausible that this will make it onto the list. BGEE is already going down that road, and believe that a lot of the Obsidian guys are friends/former coworkers with the Beamdog guys, so a bit of the do's and don'ts would probably be open for sharing.

I just hope that if they do this they won't get in over their head, and end up derailing more important stuff to tackle what seems like an 800 lb gorilla compared to the other stretch goals that have been announced.

But yeah, give me a large monitor, a full size keyboard and a mouse any day of the week. Tablets have their uses, but I find them far less than optimal for gaming.

16. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It has slowed down considerably though, compared to the first 48 hours.

Here's how much money has been pledged each day so far:
    [​IMG]
    (from Kicktraq)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  17. Marceror

Media:
    I think that's to be expected to some extent.

There are still a lot of days left to burn. I'm betting they will still surpass the 2.2 million stretch goal.

18. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I expect so too.

19. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The average per day is still damn impressive!

20. Marceror

Media:
    From update 8 we have a picture of a companion in the game. Edair. He looks great. I have only a few small suggestions to tweak him.

First, remove all of his clothes. Then remove his skin, muscle, sinew, etc. Next take the neck and everything below it and remove that too. Take the skull that remains and give it the ability to float around.

Finally, some adjustments to the name. Rotate the E clockwise by 90 degrees. Stretch out the D to be more circular in appearance. Move the R two places to the left. Stretch the horizontal lines on top of the I so they are longer. Take the horizontal line in the A and hang it from the top of the A vertically. Then rotate the A counterclockwise by 90 degrees.

Okay, now Edair is just about perfect!

[​IMG]

Oh, and can't forget the finished product:

[​IMG]

Montresor likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.