1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pregnancy At a Young Age

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eldular, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a teenager I went out of my way to do the opposite to what was told. So as a teenager I would most certainly have had sex before the legal age just to annoy everyone.
    I was a scary teenager.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Shell, if you were my kid, I would have shown you the back of my hand!! :lol:

3. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The reason why most teenagers (IMO) brake their vow/pledges (or just end up having sex) is due to the strong link between 'love' and 'lust' at their age. Their hormones are pretty worked up (some more then others), making them quite 'active' (I should know, I'm 17 :p ). All that along with the current 'norm' in having intercourse at a young age is pretty strong pressure to those not raised in a morally strict family/society. They fall in love, get a chance to be alone, kissing leads to touching, and touching leads to sex.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The problem is in drawing the line. As Eldular said, one thing leads to another. The key is to stop while you can. My girlfriend and I started dating when we were both 18, pretty much the height of all the hormonal issues. We are now both 21, and have been dating exclusively from the beginning. We are both virgins and the reason is simple. We knew where to stop. We've never gone beyond kissing because we don't know if we'll be able to stop or not. Because of this, we feel quite comfortable with each other, even when alone on the couch late at night. We both know the standard and neither one of us is willing to break it. If you honestly want to avoid problems like this, just set a standard, one you know you can keep, and enforce it.
    By the way, condoms and other contraceptives have little impact on STDs. Some of them have antibiotics on them, but that only helps if the STD is bacterial, and even then, it isn't even close to 100%.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You should remove the words "condoms and" from that sentence. Though condoms are not 100% effective in preventing STDs, it is hardly correct to say they have little impact.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Condoms have quite an effect on STDs, and it does help against AIDS and viral diseases unless our education system has been screwing with us which I seriously doubt. Now the problem is that if and when a condom breaks which it can do sometimes, you're in trouble. So casual sex with people you don't know well is pretty much playing with fire. With proper knowledge and quality condoms the risks can however be reduced a lot.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ah, forgot to mention that taking a chastity pledge and substituting oral or anal sex for vaginal intercourse is not a good idea from a theological point of view. By Catholic rules, if it includes intentional orgasm, it's already mortal. Actually, intentionally turning someone on to the point of having an orgasm, ejaculating, fantasising about sex in his mind etc, is mortal. So why bother with the pledge?

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ok, a lot of STDs (I don't actually know how many) are bacterial or larger. A condom will stop these so long as there are no leaks. The molecular weave of the rubbers and plastics used to make condoms, however, are actually larger than viruses (HIV), allowing them to penetrate unhindered. Interestingly, the original condom was made of deer skin, which would stop viruses, was much less likely to break, and was reusable.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    THis is true:

But this isn't:

If we're comparing straight size, yes, the virus is smaller. To put it into terms that are easier to visualize, if the virus were the size of a basketball, the size of the matrix latex forms would be equivalent to the size of a doorway. So on the surface, it surely seems like your statement is true, as one can easily fit a basketball through a doorway.

The problem is that you are assuming that the latex is only one molecular layer thick. You're thinking that once you pass through that first door you're out of the condom. It's not like that. The latex thickness is actually hundreds of molecular layers. So while it's easy to throw a basketball through a doorway, try throwing a basketball through several hundred doorways. That alone would be difficult, but to add to the complexity, those doorways aren't lined up in any way.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oooh, great analogy, Aldeth!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.