1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Preempting the storm: RIP Margaret Thatcher

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Apr 9, 2013.

1. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    They are screaming for English teachers here, but if you want to stay for a longer period, you'd need a visa. I got married and started with a family visit visa, but it's most practical to arrange a 1-year work visa with an employer. Foreign visitors are generally treated very well, but I wouldn't want to be without a visa in case you met the wrong person.

For official jobs with high salary companies, you need:
    - Any bachelor's degree from a western university
    - TESOL / TEFL degree. Very easy to obtain for native speakers.

I only lived in Scotland for 5 years during my childhood, but I use English media enough to consider myself a native speaker without a shadow of a doubt. I was lucky to be born in the UK before 1983 (June 1982), so despite my Scottish father not acknowledging me, I could claim territorial citizenship. My British passport is a very valuable asset when finding work as teacher, more so than my Dutch passport.

You can embellish your English teaching experience and education a bit, to value yourself a bit higher. Read a contract carefully, and stick to it rigidly, because employers will try things to reduce your salary. They're scared that you'll leave their company, though, so the slightest complaint from you will set things straight. Always be on your guard, of course. Sometimes you must forgo politeness to prevent the company from taking advantage of you. It doesn't make the atmosphere unworkable, so don't worry. Negotiating/haggling is just a habit here.

The TEFL course could be done online mostly, and I traveled to a weekend classroom. It's fairly simple, and actually a great refresher on English grammar rules (I had learned the Dutch terminology at school). Anyone doing the course would be wise to take notes while filling in the examinations online.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.