1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Powergaming the OC

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by DominionSeraph, Sep 14, 2010.

1. DominionSeraph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ok, I am finally getting around to really playing this game after putting it away in disgust years ago. (I got it upon release, and v1.0 would run at like 8fps on my high-end [for the time] Athlon x2 5200+ and Geforce 8800 GTS with all settings to Low, at which setting I've seen better looking DOS games. So I put it away until now.)

Current party is:
    Khelgar
    Neeshka
    Elanee

At level 11, just got to Blacklake.

PC was planned to be a Bard(14)/Frenzied Berserker(5)/Ranger(1), and this party was sickeningly effective coming up with the Bard buffs, but I noticed most of my damage was coming from Khelgar and the PC with their two-handers and Power Attack. (Hitting is no problem with Heroism + Inspire Courage + Natural Leader + Taunt.) This got the powergamer in me to thinking about their optimization, and I realized that this party will get no Persistent Haste.
    Since I want to romance Elanee, to get Persistent Haste means giving up Neeshka. But no Rogue means no detecting or disabling traps over DC20. So I thought, "Swap out the Ranger level for a Rogue level on the PC," since being human and the Bard levels (at INT 16) give me enough skill points to go around.
    Too bad that changes everything.
    Multiclassing into another medium BAB class means I don't get a 4th attack (5th hasted) -- a rather big deal when you're planning on having 26 STR and sporting +20 damage Enhanced Improved Power Attack. To get it back I have to swap two levels of Bard for a high BAB progression class, but that loses me Inspire Courage +3. But if I'm going to lose Inspire Courage +3, there's little reason to go past Bard(8). I also need the Able Learner feat to properly level Rogue skills so that puts off Frenzied Berserker by three levels.

So, before I completely revamp my build, should I even be worrying about traps? Or, going the other way, should I even be worrying about Persistent Haste and any other differential between Neeshka and Qara's damage outputs? I mean, under my original plan Neeshka is dual-wielding with Improved and possibly Greater Two Weapon Fighting with Inspire Courage +3 and Holy weapons...

(I realize the OC is easy but I'm planning on installing the 1/2 HoF mod to lengthen the battles)

Going without Neeshka, my PC would probably look like Bard(8)/Rogue(2)/FB(5)/Ranger(5), allowing for 2 favored enemies to get Favored Power Attack in for +60 to damage. (That feat is in the vanilla game, right? Otherwise ranger is pointless in all my plans)

So, ideas?
    (I'm really not keen on RDD. Buffing the entire party with a better Inspiration, a better Curse Song, the skill points for a huge radius Taunt while levelling Tumble and Spellcraft seem to be better than what RDD provides)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.