1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Potatoes

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Domino, Jan 12, 2008.

?

How do you like your potatoes?

1. Mashed

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Roasted

42 vote(s)
    71.2%
  3. Fried

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  4. Boiled

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. Baked

36 vote(s)
    61.0%
  6. As salad

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  7. As wine

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. ... raw? o.O

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Potatoes for a soup base is very good. There area lot of great soups that involve potatoes.

My favorite potato dish however, is mashed with milk, butter, garlic, pepper and feta cheese.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Dragonfly,
    try leaving out the feta cheese and add some fresh marjoram instead. You won't regret leaving out the feta. It's more subtle and it's lighter and has less calories and is better suited to be a side. If you swirl up the mashed potatoes with whisk or an electric mixer a they'll have a nice, foamy consistency.

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You're all very, very wrong...

Potatoes are the root of all evil and pave the way for the devil to enter our world through gluttony :shake:

Needless to say, I don't much like potatoes no matter how you cook them, unless there's plenty of hot fat, cream and general masking of flavour with something very unhealthy :D

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I can say I love potatoes cooked in any way... except for potato wine and drinks, never tried them before.

6. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Roasted, baked, and mashed are the best ways.

Also - Worst poll ever. I mean, really.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Last night at Chez Rally, dinner was a large pot of potato-leek soup. 5 main ingredients don't get much tastier!

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Rally, one day i'm coming to your place for dinner.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Me an' you both, CJ.

10. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Raw roasted potatoes,

cut raw potatoes up in 1/4 slices on the long side, pour a bit of oil, lots of peper wee bit of salt, and a bit of parsley owns all

11. nunsbane

nunsbane

I'm not aware of a potato dish that I don't like...superior foodstuff.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Spuds are the food of the gods.

13. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    At the moment, mashed potatoes are the safest thing for me to eat. I like them, but I'll admit I'm getting a bit bored...

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Tonight we has roasted potatoes with dinner. Yum!

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

With "Potato Wine" I assumed you meant something like "Akkevitt" (info), a traditional Scandinavian potato brew with spices and stuff. So I crossed of everything :p

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Instead of making them with milk and butter, try stirring in one head of roasted garlic and ~1/4 c. of extra-virgin olive oil - the goooood stuff! While not likely of concern for you, this is a great way to serve mashers with meat in a kosher house! ;)

*If* there are any leftovers, put them in an oven-proof dish, make a well in the middle, and crack in an egg. Season with salt and pepper and a little grated cheese, if you like. Bake until the egg is set to your liking.

As Splunge says, food of the gods. :yum::yum::yum:

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

What an odd poll! Funny, too -- one of the readings I just did with my ESL students was about the Great Potato Famine in Ireland in the 1840s. I learned some things about the potato I had not known before.

1: It does not keep well (modern refrigeration has mitigated this problem, but they had no such technology in the 1840s.)

2: It is quite easy to grow -- all you really need is a spade.

3: The Irish had no other crop to fall back on when the blight hit the potatoes, which is why things got so grim.

As for today, I like to take the little potatoes and cut them into thirds. Drizzle them with oil, salt and pepper, and roast those little fellows! Yummy!

I'm also a fan of the "twice baked" potatoes you can get at some restaurants.

I must say, though, that I don't view potatoes as a vegetable in terms of nutrition -- they're a starch / carbohydrate in my world view.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.