1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Post Your System Config and Play Experience

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh yeah, I might feel different after I have played it some more. I just wanted to post my 'first impression' while it was still fresh in mind. ANd my first impression was not positive.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I was playing NWN they day before I got NWN2. I made a comparison and I have to agree with BTA, the graphics suck in comparison to the sequel.

My comp is an Athlon XP 3600+, with an AGP GF6600 @ 256 MB RAM, 512 MB DDR-400 System RAM. Set to high res textures it runs smooth with reduced lighting.

I miss customisability of the armors and weapons. What I really miss are the radial manues. They allowed for much easier access to the special abilities.
    I miss NWN's solo mode, oh, that was KotOR. I just hate it when I send out that tiefling rogue to disarm traps only to see my moron dwarven buddy or my main char run into it to assault a number of enemies head on. Will they also do that when I decide to play a rogue and want to scout or backstab? :rolleyes: Puppy mode is no replacement. I still haven't found a way to tell my chars to stay where they are, and don't dare moving. They do it anyway. NWN 2 char KI sucks.

And then, there is tasking. When I task a char, that dwarf especially (the tiefling is out of sight, arching, that is, I need to check on her), like 'kill that mage' and then switch to main char again, he will forget my instructions and attack whoever he sees fit. Yuck. It's maddening as far as tactics are concerned. The npc's also just don't get it to switch to a melee weapon when engaged in melee. The enemies do get that. It suggests to me that NWN 2 is optimised to multiple players to an extent NWN was not. For a single player and control freak like me that is annoying.

The first NWN had the better interface IMO.

[ December 31, 2006, 12:34: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Go into the AI for your party members and turn off "Protect Master". I noticed after I did that everyone did what they were told.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've got the game to play on a Celeron 2.4 GHz (512 MB RAM 400 MHz, GF5900XT). It's actually playable. Sure, it lags and it's obvious it's meant to look better, but it's playable. Around 15 fps isn't that hard to get if you spend many hours with the settings of your computer and the game itself.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am now getting less than 10 frames per second. This is very frustrating. What is the point of having the latest PC if it still can't play the game smoothly?

Two questions then:
    1) Which graphic settings are the prime candidates to be turned down (i.e. they use the most power but provide the least benefit)
    2) How do I get rid of the fps screen once I no longer need it?

6. chevalier

Media:
    Harbs, you really need to tweak it a bit because your system is better than mine and you should be able to get it to run better. In fact, you should be able to run it fluently.

I suggest you defrag your hard drive and get rid of all the unneeded services, unneeded resident progs (stuff from your taskbar, like communicators, weather forecast, antiviruses and the like). Then switch off swap file and restart, make it a fixed size (e.g. 2560 megs) one. It should be fast and unfragged for ever after.

As for game settings, begone with vsynch - although you might be out of luck because you have an LCD monitor, I think, don't you? Stuff looks bad there without vsynch sometimes. Then you don't need shadows and the rest. Make sure you've patched the game to 1.03, as well - because earlier versions are laggier.

And go read GameSpot's guides and whatever Google returns for "NWN2 performance guide". That stuff helped me quite a lot.

7. Harbourboy

It's a brand new PC and I have used about 20g of the 160g hard drive!!

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What "rest"? That's what I'm asking. What of the rest do you need and what don't you need.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    I reduced the number of light sources, and reduced shadow generation to reduce processor workload, and set textures high. It works for me. It looks ok and is rather fluid.

You'll find out by trial and error what's best for you.

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I came across something you guys might be interested in, I have'nt had a decent look through because I don't really understand any of it, here it is anyway: clicky.

Hope that helps a bit.

10. Harbourboy

Cool. That is some interesting analysis. I think I will turn all the shadow and water effects down and see how that goes.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    HB - Did you get the 1.03 patch? If not, it helps a lot with frame rates. I wouldn't turn down the shadows if you can help it, because they're sweet. There's not much water around, so you can turn water effects down as much as you want and you won't miss much.

12. Harbourboy

I have whatever version you get when you push the 'update' button on the main screen.

Also, can anyone tell me how to get rid of that frames per second screen?

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    IIRC you just do the same command as what you did to bring it up; it's a toggle.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Sometimes the update aborts, that was in my case because I had less than 6GB free on either of my hdd's. When I changed that, updating worked.

15. Harbourboy

I'm now getting 14 - 19. Still disappointing. That was the whole point of buying this new computer.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Don't worry about it; I doubt you'd notice if you hadn't turned on the FPS.

17. chevalier

Media:
    Harbs, 14-19 is playable, but the thing is, if I'm getting it on my computer, you should get twice that on yours. I don't meet minimal requirements...

18. Evangel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm using an AMD Athlon XP, 2083MHz
    1023MB of RAM, nVidia Geforce 6600 GT AGP (all of this is info from Everest Home Edition), and this game is simply unplayable for one reason, i don't have a DVD drive.
    I made an image of my DVD on my sisters computer (which has a DVD drive) and tried mounting it on mine, it refuses to start without a physical disc, i found a 1.00 No-CD patch, tried that, it started but then i'd get 5-10 FPS just in the starting areas.

19. chevalier

Media:
    Switch off xfire, vsync and the other power eaters. As for DVD, DVD-RW's are cheap these days and they read stuff really well (writers have better lasers and read better than simple readers do), so you might want to get one.

20. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

My configuration is a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, 1 GB RAM and ATI Radeon 9600 TX with 128 MB (AGP).

Long load times but otherwise it runs smoothly.

I enjoy the game immensely. Good graphics, nice sound, entertaining quests, a good history and entertaining and useful NPC's.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.