1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Post Your System Config and Play Experience

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Heh, I thought that it was applied by the driver set itself whenever the game accessed it. But I admit that I could be wrong here. Regardless, a quick check of the game showed very little in the way of jaggies. The contours looked pretty smooth.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I anti alliasing not only for ATI videocards?

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ??

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think "I" was supposed to be "Is," in which case the answer to his question is yes - both nVidia and ATI cards are capable of rendering anti-aliasing. Like shadows, anti-aliasing is a product of the game engine, not your GPU.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Hold on a minute, I thought it was a function of the driver and the GPU. I'm sure that certain types of anti-aliasing may be used by game engines, but I think it rests more within the GPU and its drivers, which is why I thought it could be controlled by the software supplied with the driver set by either nVidia or ATI:

Perhaps game engines can be written to take advantage of these features or maybe it is a function of the GPU and its software settings once applied to the API, whether it is open GL or Direct 3D.

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=175&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=1

6. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Core 2 Duo E6400, 2 GB of memory
    GeForce 7600 GT
    1024 * 1280 LCD screen
    using default options for the game (I think most of them are at max, with exception of shadows)

I've been playing for about a week now, and I am quite satisfied with the experience. The starting village was a bit tougher on the framerate (I was also playing with the patch 1.02 at that time). Might have been the river flowing through the village, and the lot of trees. Anyhow, I would get between 15 and 30 framerates, depending were I was and how many trees were in the way (also, by day seemed to run smoother than at night, maybe lighting was simpler)

patch 1.03 seems to have improved the performance quite a bit. Now the framerate rarely seems to drop below 20, and it generally looks quite smooth. It is possible I could improve the performance a bit by fiddling with the graphic options, but I do not really feel the need.

As about gameplay, I did not get very far yet, but it is quite fun. Controlling your companions can be a pain in the a** some times (they are not even able to switch from ranged to melee weapons by themselves if they are engaged in close combat), but not so bad as I feared. I told them not to use items, or cast spell by themselves, and they mostly listen (they use healing potions from time to time, but only when they get below 50% health, and that's fine with me).

Camera does not bother me, it seems to jump around a bit more than in NWN1, but is basically the same. Trees are annoying, because I typically like to use a point of view from a distance above the party (a la BG), and trees tend to get in the way. The controls are also a bit different from NWN1, but after getting used to them, they are okay. You just have to make sure which is the target of your next action when casting a spell or using a potion, because the targeting mode is a bit confusing.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How do you find out your framerate?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  9. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have:

Pentium4 2gig
    1gig of ram (sorry don't remember which kind...but it's by far not the fastest)
    ATI radeon 9800 256mb

Do you think NWN2 would even run on my comp? Granted I will have to use the lowest settings, but I simply don't have enough cash to buy a new comp and to upgrade my cpu and RAM I would need to buy a new motherboard and power supply as well.

10. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@TheShizzo

To be honest, if the game even ran, I'm not sure if it would even be playable. Although a great card for its time, the 9800 would face some deadly hurdles within the game. Your cpu seems like an older P4 (didn't they get up to 4ghz at the end) so you'll face problems there as well. Lastly, your 1gb of ram probably isn't enough either (it can run with 1gb, but with a lower end system i've a hunch that the ram will simply be drained away). Sorry for the bad news.

Although, you might want to do a general google search. It could be that some extreme tweakers have figured out a way to do the impossible - but with settings as low as they'd need to be, you may as well stick with NWN.

11. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Indeed. NWN2 on its lowest settings actually looks worse than NWN1 on medium settings.

12. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31

Hey Fink, do you play on BoW by chance? NWN1 arena server.

13. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I used to play BoW, yes, but haven't played NWN mutliplayer in over a year. How's BoW adjusting to NWN2?

14. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Are the recommended system requirements really nessecary to play this game smoothly?

I remember not installing Oblivion because it wouldn't play on my pc anyway... so I thought. But I installled it anyway and plays like a charm on medium graphics.

15. TheShizzo Gems: 1/31

BoW hasn't done anything to transfer over to NWN2 that I am aware of, Fink. Alec seems to be very busy with life, so i think it's up to the other DM's to make the big change to NWN2.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Core 2 Duo E6400
    GeForce 7900 GT
    Resolution 1440 x (whatever the short end of widescreen is)

I've only done the village so far, but I have to say, the game does not look any better than the original NWN, even with all my settings turned up to maximum. My character looks awful (like some sort of half dead drug addict), and the character screen / inventory windows etc look like something from 10 years ago. Also, the camera whizzes around too fast, even with the responses time turned right down. Finally, I find the "right click on target then cast spell on them OR cast spell then click on target" options very confusing - you might right click on something a while back and it's still your target when you go to cast a spell. What a nightmare.

So overall, not very impressed so far - but it's still early days and I will stick with it to see if it gets better once I am more used to it.

So, pretty disappointing so far,

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    HB, the game is paaants. I tried hard to like it but it just wasn't happening. My head fell off with it eventually. It's just collecting dust on my shelf now.

18. Harbourboy

I will certainly give it a good go, but some games impress you right out of the box, but this isn't one of them.

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't get any better. The best part of the game, IMO, is the beginning bit when the town gets attacked. It starts to go downhill from there IMO. Extremely linear for an RPG.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! Someone who hasn't finished the game can't comment on what the best part of the game is.

The village tutorial is the worst of the game IMO, but the battle right at the beginning after the tutorial is a good start.

What's funny is that I just started Darkness over Daggerford in NWN1 and I look at the graphics (especially how the characters look and the environment), inventory scheme and camera control and think it's crap. I think it just depends on what you've gotten used to. I hadn't played NWN1 for a while when I started NWN2 so I wasn't biased like some seemed to be.

[ December 30, 2006, 22:52: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.