1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Post for random babbling, possibly with some sense, #6

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have the same problem with my computer to. The one I had before worked just fine for four years, the new one which I bought this January is nothing but junk.

If I haven't found this site few months ago I would have completely given up on computers :bang: :bang: :bang: .

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Keneth, does that computer of your's have an AMD procesor?

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    How the hell do you know that?! :eek:

4. Fallen Paladin

AMD's procesors are not as stable as those of Intel. Athlon Thunderbirds especely (i know i didn't type that right). There are alot of articles on the net that say that. And my dad has an athlon, he has some problem's too (computer just resets for no aparent reason....) .

[ August 07, 2002, 20:24: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well I wanted to buy Pentium IV but I didn't have that kinda money. Oh and I to have a Thunderbird but there aren't as many problems as I would have expected considering that my computer is on about 18 hours a day. :D :D

I noticed that you are to from Slovenia. It is nice to meet someone that lives in the same country especially a small one like ours. :roll:

Use spell-checker if you don't know how to spell a word.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'm happily using an Athlon and my comp is as stable as a rock. When it crashes I always know why - and that's never because of my hardware since that, as I clearly know since I chose it myself, is excellent.

Weird and mysterious things can happen when you combine cheap bastard hardware (no one knows who is the father of these no-name motherboards/ graphics cards ... :rolleyes: ) with a good CPU - that relatively often happens with "off-the-shelve" computers offered in compartment stores ... however, in my experience poor quality of hardware components is - with wrong installation - one of the most frequent reasons for mysterious computer troubles - but since AMD is written on the box it's easy to blame the CPU.

It's just like with cheap graphics cards - they may have plenty of RAM and a nice NVIDIA chipset but there is a reason why they are so cheap - and you see it when you use them on a complex game and then compare with the same chipset and the same amount of RAM on a quality variant of the same kind.

AMD produces excellent quality processors - and when your hardware is ok they run flawless. I really doubt if a CPU exchange would correct this funny reboot problem mentioned before. :D

Just my two cents :D - totally subjective since I don't know these articles on the web nor the comp you're talking about :D

[ August 07, 2002, 21:02: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

7. Fallen Paladin

Ragusa,then how come my dad has problems with his procesor nomather what he does and i didnt have a problem since i got my Pentium(III)? He changed his motherboard once and did't help at all(both of these motherboard were had good quality. And he also bought a new procesor and it's still the same.

Keneth: right back at ya!

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hehehe...when I got my new computer, I took my old one out to a field and shot it several times with my dad's 16 gage shotgun! I've never had so much fun in my life! I would recomend it to anyone having computer problems....or format the hard drive and put Win2K pro on it.... :idea: :rolling:

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, that may all be right but I still doubt it - obviously no-one has really been searching for the error, otherwise it would have been found and eliminated. Two motherboards were tried, two CPUs too - and the error remains? What makes you so sure it must have been the CPU? Actually the changes should have told you that exactly that is unlikely. How about the rest of the system? The possibilities for errors are about infinite :D The reason could be as well in the RAM, the soundcard, graphics card, power supply etc ...

And again, I think it might be rather something else but a defect CPU or - horrors (and kinda highly unlikey) - an AMD specific defect: "Caution, this CPU may produce some unexpected reboots!"

Unlikely, unlikely .... :D

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You shot your computer! :eek: That is cruel!

11. Fallen Paladin

Another thing, i read somewhere that NWN has problems with Thunderbird/window's XP combined.
    I guess that's why i could't play NWN on my dad's computer becuse it keept freezing.
    And my dad tried everything!

[ August 07, 2002, 21:33: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Using a crap-OS like Windows XP and then blaming the CPU for the crashes .... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

[ August 07, 2002, 21:35: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

13. Fallen Paladin

*sigh*
    i don't have the will to argue with you anymore...
    (but how come NWN works fine on my computer and i have XP too?)

[ August 07, 2002, 21:40: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Your're lucky.

15. Fallen Paladin

And you're lucky your Athlon doesn't have any problems......
    And i never had any problems with XP on my Pentium. But my dad did (and, as you know, he has a Thunderbird).

[ August 07, 2002, 22:16: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

16. Ragusa

Media:
    Maybe happy, but not lucky. My comp is good because I composed it to be good - with carefully chosen components, and not despite its components :)

[ August 07, 2002, 22:19: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

17. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Would you believe that we just set a record for the most people on the forums at one time in SP history?

18. Fallen Paladin

yeah, like 40 people.
    Another record for Sorcerer's place!
    long live SP!

19. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If 40 was the record I just saw about 70! :eek:

[ August 07, 2002, 23:04: Message edited by: Abyssal Knight ]

20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Have you been drinking and seeing double now? :xx: :grin: :shake:

Just kidding ;) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.