1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pope

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Apr 1, 2005.

1. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have a question about the papacy. I noticed that he changed his name when he became pope. And during studying the middle ages, I found out that all popes changed their names. Why do they do that?

Do nuns still change their names when they enter the order? What about Monks? I know priests do not.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It's official now, he's dead.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Lord give him rest. He deserved it more than anyone. He isn't dead for me. He will always live. He is in heaven now, but he is still here.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As I asked originally, what might the implications be for us of a new pope?

My condolences to those of you who felt close to the pope who has just passed.

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Although he has passed on, he will live forever through us, and through our actions. Rest in peace, Holy Father.

6. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

He is in better place now, but he will always be with us.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Now they will just replace him with a newer muppet for the rest of the muppet show to enjoy.

8. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I believe it started with a medieval Pope (don't remember which -- chev, some help here) whose birth name was "Mercurius." He felt this was too close to "Mercury" and it would be inappropriate to have a Pope named after a pagan deity, so he changed it. After that the practice continued.

As for John Paul II, may the Divine grant him eternal peace...

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    In Nomini Patri Et Fili Et Spiritus Sancti....Amen.

10. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Rawgrim, with all due respect, for some of us this is a time of mourning, you don't need to insult us because you don't like our system. If you don't agree with it, please just don't say anything.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy - what does that mean?

12. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In the Name of Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit...Amen. (latin)

13. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ah, okay. I know John Paul II took his name from the pope before him, John Paul I, to honor him.

I never met the man, but from what I could tell, he was a decent and honorable man. People like that are rare and getting even more rare.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

requiem in pace(sp?) jp2. i'm not a good catholic but he seemed a decent man.

15. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Chev,

I have come out of months of hibernation to share your pain at the passing of the pope. As a fellow Catholic, I too feel a great sense of loss. He is the only person I haven't met whose passing I have shed tears for. But I know he meant more to the Polish people than any other group of Catholics. His inspiration was essential in empowering the Polish people to resist and eventually force out communism. I pray the next pope will be to continue Pope John Paul II's work in his own unique way.

@Everyone else,

Thank you for your prayers and kind words for our dear pope.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I was just about to say what just Charlie said.
    Now he is at His right.

17. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

requiescat in pace - May he rest in peace.

A requiem is a mass for the departed.

Now we're in for Ratzinger as a Pope in transition. I'm gonna shoot me in my head...

Oh, and I read the Poles demand the heart of John Paul as a relic? Well, each to his own, I suppose...

18. Harbourboy

What might be some of the impacts on the world if the new pope isn't any good at the job? From what I've read, many people seem to think the recently deceased one was quite competent and had some good achievements. What if the next one isn't as good? How might that affect the world (including me)?

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Darkthrone

ah, my bad, thanks for the correction. Guess that line from "Tombstone" wasn't very accurate :rolleyes: :o

20. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

HB: The new Pope is 'going to have to fit in really large shoes.' The latter John Paul II has created such a high standard that the new Pope is always going to be compared to him. Nevertheless, it's most about the media—previous Popes, with the exclusion of John Paul I, did not have great access to them, and thus were virtually unknown to most people in the World.

The new Pope? It's not for us to decide, and not really to speculate. People are talking about a black Pope from Black Africa, or Asia. This would certainly be quite revolutionary, and the new Pope could earn a head start thanks to it. Or how about a Russian Pope, or a Chinese? That would cause quite a stir and consternation (not unlike the one caused in 1978 in Poland, and the entire Soviet Bloc).
    To fit in the said shoes? Other possibility is for the Pope to visit Russia. This has never happened, at the opposition from the Russian Orthodox Church (the Patriarch Alexei II has always opposed dialogue with Roman Catholics, arguing that they convert the Orthodox Christians), and if it happened, it would definitely crown the next pontificate. Another place is China, and the Pope would certainly be remembered if he is able to normalise the relations with them.
    There are certainly many worthy candidates, and I wholeheartedly believe that the Holy Spirit will grant the cardinal electors the insight to elect the best suited one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.