1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pope

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    What is the process of selecting a new pope? Beyond the fact that it is decided upon by the Cardinals, I don't really know the process. Is it just a bunch of nominations and then a vote?

4. chevalier

Media:
    When the Pope is dead, the Cardinal Camerlengo (chamberlain, head of household) strokes his head three times with a little hammer calling him his Christian name. Then he verifies his death by a judicial act. They break the fisherman's ring and the papal seals. The obsequies last nine days and cardinals who are in Rome assist the ceremonies for the deceased pope while waiting for other cardinals to come. If they have the use of reason and at least the orders of deacon or a special indult from the last pope (i.e. they must have any holy orders at all or special privilege from the last pope to vote, although they can still enter), all cardinals have the right to vote - even excommunicated ones or those who have been appointed but not yet installed (cardinalate is not a degree in holy orders but a function, so it doesn't require a sacrament or anything). The cardinals govern the Church, swear to obey election rules and then gather elect a new pope during the conclave. During the event, they are locked inside and can have only a secretary and a servant with them unless the other ones allow them a third assistant because of an illness. The space is divided into appartments each with three or four rooms, each with a crucifix, a bed and a couple of chairs. Food and other things are brought from outside and administered inside by a prelate chosen for that purpose. Cardinals can leave and return later because of illness, assistants can't return. Every measure is taken to prevent undue communication and breach of secrecy means loss of office and excommunication. The Cardinal Dean (the head of the College of Cardinals, the most senior cardinal - currently Cardinal Ratzinger) presides at the mass they concelebrate and they receive Holy Communion from his hands and listen to a Latin reminder of their duties. During the vote, everyone who isn't a Cardinal gets out and the door is bolted from inside.

Last non-Cardinal was elected in the 14th century, but there's no law restricting it to cardinals. It can be any Christian man of the age of reason, except a schismatic or heretic or notorious simonist (essentially sacrilegious bribe taker). A fraudulent election is null and void and so is any held outside of a properly organsied conclave. When casting the vote, the cardinal calls Christ to witness he votes for the one he finds the most worthy. Votes are also collected from sick cardinals residing in their cells. The number of ballots has to agree and ballots are marked to make sure no one votes for himself. If two thirds aren't obtained, there is a practice allowing to repeat the vote until successful.

When successful, they smoke the white steam and the pope elect is clothed in papal garments and paid homage by the cardinals. He confirms the current Cardinal Camerlengo or appoints a new one and he puts the fisherman's ring on the pope's hand.

If not a bishop, he needs to be ordained bishop at once by the Cardinal Bishop of Ostia (Dean of the College). Otherwise, he receives a solemn benediction.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04192a.htm

Some things may have changed since then, but not much.

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

He is gone.

Hmmm... :(

6. chevalier

Media:
    The media say he has died. :( I so don't want this to be true. I know he deserves rest, but it feels like... what will we do without him.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    And so he gets the rest he deserved, but why did they reanimate him this morning?

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Haven't turned on a TV yet, but my mainstream web sites still report him alive. How strange. If he truly is dead, may he rest in peace and may the Catholic Church find a worthy successor.

9. chevalier

Media:
    They say he's still alive now but Christ will open the door for him this night. :(

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The world certainly has gone through alot since John Paul II came along. Probably for most people here, he's the only Pope they've ever known. I'm sure this is especially difficult for the Poles here, for whom the pope was not only a spiritual leader, but also a symbolic political figure who precided over Poland's transformation to democracy, and, as the first Polish pope, a source of national pride. Even as a non-Catholic, this feels like the end of an era. My sympathies.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As I write this the news reports that the Pope is still alive but that his condition is worsening. My heart goes out to all the Roman Catholics here and throughout the world. Especially do I feel for the Poles. He is a very special person. He traveled extensively. He reached out to the world. I saw him in New York. I grieve for his loss to world. Truly an era is ending.

12. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Much like I thought with the Terri Schiavo news, for some people, it's just their time. I'm surprised that he has lasted for this long, he truly shows strength in these hard times we live in. My school even had a moment of prayer for him today, one that even the non Catholics observed.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Please please please don't take this wrong way, but I'd like to confirm why everyone on TV is telling us to pray for him? If anyone is going to heaven, if anyone is recognised by God, it's going to be the Pope. Why are we being urged to pray for him? Sorry, if this sounds offensive or insensitive but I am truly curious. I don't know what I'm aiming for if I pray for him.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's a load of old bollocks Harbs.
    He's just an old man dying. He's nothing special, at all.
    Old men die of illness all the time.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I suppose most pray for him staying alive and then others may pray for him to go in peace and without pain. I'm sure there are other reasons too but these were the first I came upon. It's not all just about getting a ticket to heaven you know. ;)

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So if more people pray for him, then God will let him live a bit longer (and/or die more peacefully)? Surely the Pope has already done enough in his life to earn those things from God anyway. I can understand why we might pray for, say, Barmy Army's life because God may not be aware of why he is worth saving. But surely there is nothing more we can tell God about the Pope that he doesn't already know?

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, I can only guess at the answer to your question.

Prehaps part of the answer is that we don't know what else to do. Pray that he dies in peace without suffering? Yes. Pray that he die in a state of grace? I am sure there is no problem there. Pray that he live? There comes a time to let go.

If I were to ask anyone to pray it would be this:
    Pray for the living that they may be consoled; that they may make wise choices; that they remember the good; that they may live good lives.

18. Harbourboy

Aha, now Nakia - your answer makes much more sense to my limited mind than what I am hearing from the people on TV who just say "pray for him" which doesn't seem to mean much.

19. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Barmy Army, he might not mean anything to you, which is fine. But don't insult those to whom he means something with statements like that. It's just plain rude and inconsiderate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.