1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your religion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shell, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I am my religion. That's the best I can describe my faith. :)

Edit: Liberated Master of Nuhn. Liberated is the word you're looking for.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's because they are complete idiots. If they would do a little research they would realize that we mormons are christians, probably better christians then they are.
    :idea: :idea: :idea:
    Hey, seeing as the LDS church is growing so fast, maybe in a few years we (mormons) will drive all the other religions out of the eastern states...I feel that a little revenge is in order!
    I know our church teaches us to forgive and forget, or "turn the other cheek" but I still like the part where it says "An eye for an eye"!

Or, we could go down south with a campain called, "Save the Southern Baptist"...see how it makes them feel. :mad:

Anyways, that's my two cents. :rolling:

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

With Ash Wednesday been on today and me going to a catholic school, I truly reslise the stupidity of what these people are doing. The whole thing is basicaly saying that we are slaves to god, and god actualy doesn't seem to mind slavery in many cases. And, been a rather anti slave anti stupidity person kind of person, I find the entire puting ashes on someones head thing very very stupid.

OK, end rant

5. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The ash mark put on the foreheads is symbolic of the sinfulness of the person. Where did you hear that it meant people are slaves to God? If you're not Catholic, you're excused for not knowing this. Otherwise you need to brush up on your studies.

Excuse me while this stupid slave removes the ash mark from his forehead.

6. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I dont believe in anything. Except that no gods exists, they have never existed and they never will.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Kitrax, I always suspected you were Mormon. I'm all for peace these days, though. Despite some serious hiccups, I think that the States has proved that many religions can be in close proximity without bloodshed or persecution. It took a while, but the religious question in America is a lot more peaceful than it is anywhere in, say, Africa, the Middle East, or even the Orient.

8. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ahhh, I can't believe you forgot Judaism! That was my religion at birth, but I renounced it so I guess that makes me atheist...

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] @Kitrax: Or it could be that many Protestants don't consider Mormons as Christians because they have their own "Bible" (Book of Mormon). Not to mention that through most of its early years the Mormons didn't consider anyone else to be Christians...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Actually, Capstone, the issue is partially the Book of Mormon and partially the LDS view of the Godhead. The whole issue of salvation through works vs. faith is also at issue with these Protestants. When people listen to this sort of thing, though, I always like to point out that the Protestants who assert this also assert that Catholics aren't "real" Christians either. Suddenly, those willing to swallow the "Mormons aren't Christian" line aren't quite as sure of themselves when faced with this little tidbit of extra information.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tell me, what makes one christian 'better' then an other? ;)

Edit: I added a smiley :)

[ March 07, 2003, 14:33: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I think he means "more diligent" or perhaps "more obedient". But you're right, taken out of context, it does sound funny.

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Well I'm Anglican, or the Church of England.

14. Istari of Thay Banned

Ehh... Virne...
    It's not about proofs...
    It's about faith...

:good: :holy: :angel:

I'm a christian,
    not a very good one, but I believe...

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hmm, I probably should pay a bit more attention to threads that I start arguments in.
    Alrightio, I go to a Catholic School. I have been aught by my RE teacher that in biblical times the mark of something on the forehead is a symbol of ownership, and that how having the sign of the cross marked in ash on your head means that you are no longer a slave to sin and now a slave to god.
    I shall now resist the tempation to further piss anyone off

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

I was raised by two people who were raised as fire-and-brimestone catholics. Even though I'm not totally sold on the idea of the christian God, I still have a healthy fear of....well, absolutely nothing....instilled in me. You know, that constant guilt that follows you around, dictating all of your actions, and you don't quite know why you let it? Yeah, that one. I, as I said, am not christian like most people think of it, but I believe in God. What God? I dunno, really. I also took it upon myself to study as many broad religion types as I could in college, and I've incorporated some facets of several of those into my homemade belief system. I still think Wicca is pretty neat, as far as the nature thing goes, but a religion like that would just be too hard to explain to someone who asks me where I go to church every Sunday. (Especially here in the bible belt.) As far as my kids go? Their dad is catholic. I'll let them decide.

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Depaara, remind me. What is the LDS view of the Godhead? Twofold?

18. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] I follow the teachings of Lord Bhaal! :evil:

[Edit: In case you weren't aware, this forum is for serious discussions - BTA]

[Edit: ... and how do you know I'm not telling the truth?! :) - Blackhawk]

[ March 12, 2003, 20:12: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I believe that this response is on topic, as this thread is a location to discuss religion. If it is not, my apologies.

Cap, the LDS faith sees the godhead as three distinct individuals (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) who are purely united in purpose, and are in that sense "one". Now, for the many who do not believe this, great -- I state this fact not to proselytize but to inform. Please do not flood the thread with the 101 reasons I'm going to h***. I'm well aware that the vast majority of Christendom disagrees -- there is no need to tell me.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] What, and you don't want to know why we disagree? :p

All right, I won't hijack this topic, as a discussion of the Godhead could very well do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.