1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your life versus...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Oaz, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah. Sorry about that. I got a fatalist view on life.

You're not the only one.

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Rocks fall. Everyone dies.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:shake: Actually, it was a cop-out for Oaz. I was the third person to vote, and taking out my votes and DotW's "They Die"s, Oaz abstained from every question. Coward. :p

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I mainly put abstain up there for the people who just didn't want to vote (like me, actually) but did want to see the results.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I die, period.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I always love the ones who attempt to intellectualize their selfishness by talking about "instinct for survival". Listen: you aren't a slave to your instinct. That's what being human is all about. If we were all helpless slaves to the Id, we would never have been able to construct society as we know it. We put aside our own wants in the pursuit of creating a better world.

I would choose to die in any of the given situations, since it's my choice; therefore, deciding their death would be the same as putting the gun to their head and pulling the trigger myself. The murder would be directly at my feet, and that's something I couldn't live with.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's not selfish in an immoral way, MM. If you find $20 on the street do you pick it up and give it to somebody else who could have picked it up? I don't think so. I think you'd keep it for yourself. If you don't pick it up, someone else will. Someone is going to come out of this situation $20 poorer and someone else $20 richer. Using life and death is just a far more extreme and 'terminal' way of looking at the same situation. Someone is going to live, someone is going to die. Frankly, in all honestly I'd rather it be me. There would be no guilt since someone was going to die anyway. Then you need to think about what the other person's choice would be. If they said they would kill you then hey it's all fair since you're BOTH selfish bastards. If they said they'd die for you then the point is moot since both get what they want.

8. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If they are my parents: I die, great person: abstain, I don't want to die, but don't want them to either, everyone else dies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.