1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Written Expletives

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Carcaroth, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

A random train of thought occured to me over the weekend as I was scratching my hands to pieces while trying to extricate sloes from blackthorne hedges and swearing at myself, the hedge, the dog (who kept rolling in fox dung) and the world in general.

I tend to swear a lot to myself, but rarely to other people, and even more rarely in written format. The most common use of swearing seems (to me) to come from the groups of 11-16 (approx) year-old lads (mostly) that seem to hang out at bus-stops throughout Britain (and unfortunately also outside our neighbours)

I think swearing is something which works as an explosion of annoyance or frustration and a good means of releasing the pent up emotions. As I tend to think about what I'm writing it doesn't have the same effect. However, I am left bemused when people write using ***'s in place of letters. Is there anyone who doesn't read it as the word intended by the author?

So finally, the question is...
    What is peoples prefered use of written expletives?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Written Expletives (34 votes.)

Written Expletives (Choose 1)
    * Use of **s. Not too rude, but gets the point across - 6% (2)
    * Full spelling, everyone reads the word as intended anyway so what's the point of dumbing down? - 41% (14)
    * Pictographs - (Like the Asterix Comics) Obviously swearing but with the comic relief - 12% (4)
    * No swearing - 15% (5)
    * Depends... - 24% (8)
    * Results only - 3% (1)

2. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, swearing adds emphasis to statements; it can be useful to add a certain emotional level to one's postings. But in order to bring such an emotional point across it has to be applied economically. If swearing is placed in your text - or your words - inflationary, it will become a nuisance.

Accordingly, I like the use of swearing every now and then if it's kind of sensible. In these cases it should be written unscathed - because everyone knows what's behind the asterisks, and the displayed beep is a bit ridiculous.

BTW, on these board's it's not the author's choice whether or not to censor their swear words. Just go ahead and try to type **** suck and dick. ;)

[EDIT] What? Suck and Dick went through? Police are sleeping or what? **** You. Bull****!

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't mind mild swearing but when used in excess it becomes crude and childish.

The thing I hate the most is when 'normal' words have been abused and become swear words and cannot be used like bitch, *****willow, bastard, hell etc.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Darkthrone - I can't understand why you would think "suck" would be censored in any way. Even in the extreme sense, "suck" could only be considered swearing when paired with a few very specific words, regardless of whether preceeding or following the word "suck". It would be the equivalent of censoring "hole" or "head" based on what could preceed it.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I swear a lot in my spoken language, more in Swedish than in English and to some extent it shines through my written forum and chat language. When it comes to spoken language I can almost look a bit askew at someone who never swears, feels stiff and unnatural.

Cesard, the words you listed to be "abused" must have been abused for centuries in that case, actually most of our swear vocabulary is surprisingly old and unimaginative. Not much new in it, sure there are waves and trends but they come and go. Some creativity can be found in the area of euphemisms though.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    OK, everyone knows I don't speak like a little girl. It almost always has a comical effect, though.

Swearing needs to be done in style. Otherwise it's just a piece of offensive rubbish. Especially if accompanied by bad grammar or spelling. I've been known to start paragraphs in letters with swearwords, but not to miss commas after them.

Sometimes I'll use asterisks, but that's when I need to identify a word when quoting and the audience would be offended by hearing the full version, and there's no need to to use the same number of asterisks as of missing characters.

In some situations swearing just doesn't go, such as dealing with customers. It should be controlled by people who talk in front of the camera, as well, so as to avoid obscenity. For a man, swearing on dates and in similar situations doesn't go, either.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We only have 6 words on the censor list, 5 of them such that they could never be used in a legitimate, non-expletive word. (And that one that could be never is.)

There's no censor on words like bastard or Dick because around here bastard swords are frequently mentioned, and Dick is a common name, obviously. I don't consider "suck" to be anywhere near offensive enough for it to need censoring. As I said, only the 6 most offensive (and most commonly used) expletives are on our censor list.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only six... not seven? Well, I guess things have improved since George made his list so long ago.... ;)

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

hmm, now I'm kinda wondering what the words are :D

figured out what 3 of them are but what about the rest??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

And another thing, it can be really embarrassing when you accidentaly get one of these gems in your post (like missing the 'r' in 'shirt').

@ Arahar: I think that two of Carlin's 7 words are variants of other words already on that list, but one of them may not be on the list. At least one that I've seen starred out was not on that list.

11. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IIf you feel its inappropriate to swear, then don't.
    If you either feel its appropriate, or are going to swear anyway, then have the courage of you're convictions and spell it out.

OT. Mmmmm, Sloe Gin, :D

12. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@Aldeth and Tal: Stop preaching to the choir, dudes! This was just to show how ridiculous it is to try to filter swearing, when swearing is all about colorful language and metaphors rather than single words.

Besides, you're :yot: and :banana: !

Or did I miss your special sense of humor? :p

@ Arahar: The words are ****, ****, *****, ****, ******, and ***. ;)

[ November 30, 2004, 09:34: Message edited by: Darkthrone ]

13. Arahar

well I figured out what ****, *****, **** were but I'm still a little unclear as to ****, *** and ******

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab [Numbers 21]

Hmm...

[ November 30, 2004, 22:13: Message edited by: chevalier ]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Never heard of that Carlin guy but I looked him up now... 4 of those words are on our censor list. The two longer ones have never been used on these boards so there's no need to censor them (and yes, I WILL give you the idiot plaque if you try posting them) and I don't consider "piss" to be really offensive, so it's not censored either.

Btw Darkthrone, we don't censor them because we wouldn't want to see them used in "colorful language and metaphors", but because they're frequently used in an insulting manner.

Oh, and for those playing the guessing game, the words censored on SP have 4, 5 and 7 characters. There are no 3 or 6-character ones.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Not to mention some of the younger members of our boards probably shouldn't be exposed to certain language. Granted, it's the parents job to know what their kids are up to, but I don't know of any parent that is looking over their kids shoulder 24/7 when they are at the computer.

17. Taluntain

Media:
  18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    :bang: Gotta stop feeling this old . . .

George Carlin is/was one seriously funny mother****er (which, IIRC, is one of his words)

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never heard of him either. I assume he swears a lot.

20. Arahar

hmm, those last three words are really bothering me for some reason. Oddly SP lets us put in derogatory words for prostitutes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.