1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which game is better?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Felinoid, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Here you go, the ultimate debate for Sorcerer's Place.

EDIT: Maybe I should explain the questions.

1) Mechanics means how the game works: setup, proficiencies, basically the nuts and bolts of the engine.

2) Design means aesthetics: How do the screen, avatars, items, etc. look?

3) Difficulty level refers to: Is it too hard, too easy, or just right?

4) I hope you don't have a problem with this one, :rolleyes: but just in case: All things considered (mechanics, design, difficulty, etc.), which one do you like best, above all others?

[ June 28, 2005, 19:13: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 79 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which game is better? (79 votes.)

Which game has better mechanics? (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate - 4% (3)
    * Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 41% (32)
    * Icewind Dale - 4% (3)
    * Icewind Dale II - 33% (26)
    * Planescape: Torment - 8% (6)
    * I like another one better! - 6% (5)
    * I just want to see the results. - 5% (4)

Which game has a better design? (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate - 8% (6)
    * Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 39% (31)
    * Icewind Dale - 4% (3)
    * Icewind Dale II - 16% (13)
    * Planescape: Torment - 28% (22)
    * I like another one better! - 1% (1)
    * I just want to see the results. - 4% (3)

Which game has just the right difficulty level? (including bugs) (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate - 16% (13)
    * Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 35% (28)
    * Icewind Dale - 9% (7)
    * Icewind Dale II - 9% (7)
    * Planescape: Torment - 20% (16)
    * I like another one better! - 5% (4)

Which game is the best overall? (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate - 8% (6)
    * Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 52% (41)
    * Icewind Dale - 3% (2)
    * Icewind Dale II - 4% (3)
    * Planescape: Torment - 27% (21)
    * I like another one better! - 3% (2)

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well Bg2 has the best mechanics, Planescape Torment the best design and IWD2 the best difficulty. Planescape Torment wins overall clearly for me though.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Questions 1 and 2 could be the same, since game mechanics are the same as "game design" (or in other words: designing how everything works). You could also count in 'difficulty' -too hard/easy battles mean bad design, don't you agree? ;)

Anyway, BG2 first, Planescape second, and BG1 third. Icewind Dale shouldn't be even counted, considering that it's pure hack'n'slash.

4. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Why is PoR not in the list? tzk tzk tzk :shame:

And where is the "best storyline" question? Or did you skip it because of the upcomming obvious results?

I just cannot say which one is the best really. BG2 has the best gameplay and athmosphere (plus it has a santimental value to me... I guess to everyone) but it also has kinda dull storyline. Planescape has undoubtedly the best storyline and character evolvement ever created + it is really an RPG :) but the graphics suck hard (even worse than BG1)BG1 is the most difficult of the lot (especialy with that creature respawning thing) and responds more than any other to what a D&D CRPG should look like, plot is nice too (faaaaar beter than BG2) but misses much of the charm that the second part has and those graphics... (though I must admit I am beginning to like them more and more lately)
    So, you see choice is hard, but I guess that memory of the first time I played BG2 would finaly solve the problem.
    I am not a graphics maniac at all (I love infinity!!!), but what joy it would have been if BG1 and PS:T had the TOEE graphics... *sigh*
    (nope, nobody touches the BG2 ones - they rule!)

5. Felinoid

@Wirhe:
    No, I don't agree. So I made the questions clearer in an edit. And personally, I would prefer if you would just ************ off, mostly because of your intolerance. This new blow-up, however, is also partially due to the fact that you apparently are unable to frame your critcisms constructively, rather than just trying to tear down the first poll I've ever posted. :shame: A'ight?

EDIT: @Myth:
    :doh: I knew I forgot something!
    As for other games (e.g. PoR), that's why I included the 'I like another game better!' option. I figured I'd just list the major ones, though PS:T was iffy. :)

[ June 28, 2005, 19:36: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

6. Myth Gems: 6/31

ROTFL :lol: :lol:
    I almost fell from my chair, thanks for the great laugh *wipes the tears from his eyes*

Edit: It is not about the *s. Anyway, funny.

[ June 28, 2005, 19:52: Message edited by: Myth ]

7. Felinoid

You're very welcome. :D

P.S. FYI, it's supposed to be two words, with one of the *'s representing a space. Now I did initially have a three-digit long string of them to represent everything I really wanted to say, but it screwed up the page so I decided to redo it. :cool:

[ June 28, 2005, 19:54: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I would say BGII, but my views are also quite narrow, only having played BGI and BGII.

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Gee what a surprise, BG2 in the lead :grin:

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For me, Planescape: Torment is hands-down the best of the lot, because it minimizes hack-n-slash and maximizes dialogue. (Thus, graphics aren't nearly as important to me as to some of the other board members.)

11. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

IWD is not a big deal (although it's a very good game if you play it once or twice). PST is very good.

I will only tell opinion about BG1 vs. BG2.
    BG2 is unrealistic (its fantasy, but I mean that it has several unnatural things such as "Quests will find you" etc.). The reasons why it is so popular:
    1. NPC interactions. I admit this is a big advantage.
    2. Quests will find you -- newbie/daft players love this, so they prefer BG2.
    3. Linear plot, linear areas -- no BG1 exploring. Newbie/daft players love this, because they don't get lost when searching for something.

And most players are young, they started their gaming with BG2 and not BG1. Most of the young players are daft players. So due to point 2 and 3, they prefer BG2.
    So the majority of those who prefer BG2 are daft/newbie players. :)

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

BG2 is the best overall and still thousands of players enjoy it. And many Mods there are which make this game so cool. But PS:T had the best story.
    @Baronius
    BG2 is not such linear. I remember my first time when it took me one week of playnig to do all those side quests.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Where's NWN?

I chose BG2 and IWD for 50% of the questions. :rolling:

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Strangely, I voted IWD for all three. Mostly because it was different from BG - new portraits, no multiplay frustration, allies could walk through each other instead of bumping around. :p

It just seemed more open to me. I liked making my six characters and going out, not having to listen to NPCs b*tching about this, that and the other thing. My grieveance of BG2, honestly. The way Imoen is 'forced' upon you (re: sister) sticks in my craw. I really don't care if she IS my half-sister; I'm leaving her useless butt in Spellhold! Her depression makes me long for a conversation with Xan.

15. Arendil Gems: 6/31

I like 3ed D&D so first question for IWD2. Having said that, BG1 rules in all remaining categories !

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

IWD2 easily has the best mechanics of any of those games, in my opinion.

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

BG2 the best mechanics; Torment best design/overall. BG1 was good, but not as polished as 2.

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I agree with Harbourboy, IWD2 has the best mechanics. BG2 just got to the point where nothing could hit you, and you could hit everything.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, having trouble deciding on Mechanics - everything else is PS:T ... hmm. The Mechanical elements I like of BG1 fit more into design than Mechanical ... I think I'll go for IWD2 after all.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Mechanics: Icewind Dale II
    Design: Icewind Dale II
    Difficulty Level: Icewind Dale
    Best Overall: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

I don't like IWDII, but those two things they got right on the spot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.