1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Where do you buy your books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Carcaroth, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Agreed, but if you have around 2,500 books and are reading them at a rate of 1-2 per week, you're not going to have time to read all of them again, plus read all the new ones that you're no doubt buying. I just can't see how anyone can have enough time to do that and go to work / school or have the space to store them all. But as I am clearly in the minority in being flabbergasted at this, I will shut up now.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, some people also simply enjoy collecting books, either by author, series, edition or whatever. It's certainly a worthwhile hobby, and if you have enough money to be able to afford it, and even time to read the books as well, well, I'd be more than happy to trade places!

3. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

True words, Taluntain, true words.

Also, we have some books double (though only a few). "Krabat" for example, we have at least three copies of (I don't know why). We also used to buy a lot of books when the library had spring cleaning, and got rid of older books ("1984" 50 Euro-cents, for example)

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is nice to be able to read any of the books in my collection whenever I feel like doing so, plus I can look up details in previous books in a series when I am reading the latest book.

That being said, I also collect books for the purpose of collecting and displaying them. I like books and the two rooms of my house where I spend the most non-sleeping time have large shelving units full of them. Anyone who buys Easton Press books who tells you that they don't buy books to collect/display is flat out lying - after all you could buy the book in the normal hard cover format for a third of the price or in paper back for one tenth of the price.

Personally, I have not had as much free time to read as I used to so I have quite a backlog of unread books - but with my new job and commuting via train that problem should be resolving itself.
    :)

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I said I was going to shut up but I found JSBB's last post to be even more amazing.

So you're saying that not only do you have an incredible number of books but:
    a) you buy them at 10 times the normal price! and
    b) you lug big hardbacks around when reading on the train!

I wish you lived near me, because then I would be able to come around and borrow from your extensive collection whenever I wanted to read a book.

This is why I like Sorcerer's Place. Every day I found out such fascinating insights into how other people live their lives.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yep, they cost 10 times the normal price of a paperback (which I will always avoid in favour of a hard cover if possible) but you get a beautiful leather bound edition with gold inlay on the cover and the quality of paper is amazing. They look great on the book shelf and have a great feel to them.

I generally don't bring them on the train but I do bring normal hard covers. I almost never take my Easton Press books out of my home-office. I have a very nice leather recliner in my office that I sit in to read them.

7. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I don't buy books at 10 times the normal price.

But I dream of that copy of "The Neverending Story" which a friend told me about. How it had been described inside (Because the book "The Neverending Story" kind of tells, how Bastian Balthasar Bux reads the book "The Neverending Story". So you got a book inside itself).

The description (translated by me from the german original):

"He lifted the book and examined it from all angles. The cover was of copper silk and shimmered, when he moved it. Volatilely paging through, he saw that the writing was printed in two different colours. There didn't appear to be any pictures, but beautiful large initial letters. When he examined once again, this time closer, he discover two snakes, one dark and one light, that bit each others tail, thus forming an oval, on it. And in this oval was written in peculiarly wound letters the title:

The Neverending Story "

Then follows something about the love for beautiful books, which would actually also be appropriate here (I also love beautiful books. I read paperbacks, but I am extra careful with my hardcovers), but is too long to quote now.

I wish I had that book...

But the version I have is also beautiful. A hardcover book in a dark red cover (though not silk), with the snakes (the Auryn) and title pressed into the textile. Inside the book, they also have the big, illuminated initial letters, and it is also all printed in two colours (red for what happens in Bastian's world, green for what happens in the book). The book is also in a protective paper sleeve, which is quite nice.

*drool* (but careful to not drool on my book)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.