1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: When do you stand up for other passengers?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by shadow lurker, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    @shadow lurker - I usually sit near the front (Yobs like the back seats and schoolkids) so I would offer if they were standing nearby, or say if they had just got on the bus, but not if they were miles away

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I voted if there are no more seats available, but only to persons who need it more than I do. It seems kinda silly to stand up if the other person can just take a free seat.

I use public transportation every day, but it doesn't happen too often that I need to give up my seat. I prefer standing on the subway anyway and on the train there are usually free seats. If it is really crowded there are usually only commuters who seem to be in more or less the same physical condition as I am and than it's first come, first served.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Reading these posts over a thought crossed my mind. It does that once in a while. Maybe two thoughts.

1) We do have a thoughtful, caring group of people here.

2) Now I say this with a :) but for those of you, say under 30, what looks old (elderly) to you may not be and that may be part of the reason some 'older' people are offended. Here in the USA it is not uncommon for a person in the 50's to get Sr. Citizen discounts if the place does not require proof of age.

Speaking as a bona fide Sr. Citizen I suggest that you take a good look at the person. Does this person look as if he or she would fall over if they have to stand?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's not a question of whether or not they actually have the ability to stand though, is it? It's just good manners. I'll give my seat to pretty much anyone really. It's just polite.

5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I tend to avoid travelling at busy hours, so I don't think I've ever been faced with the situation. Now, I do always put my laptop on the seat next to me (he's heavy to put on the luggage rack and I've seen one stolen from a train), so I've been taking him down for elderly people or generally anyone not grunting at me. When they are arrogant or they push everyone aside to get the seat, they get to ask first. :evil: But even that doesn't happen all that much. Hurray Belgian railroads.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I refuse to become telepathic to accommdate people who can't master three little words. :rolleyes: The phrase "Excuse me, please" has myriad applications, and is generally misused only when it is NOT used.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Old rules apply here.

A gentleman gives his seat up to:

Elderly.
    Disabled, sick, or injured.
    A woman (especially if she is pregnant).
    A young child -- allowing the parent to stand next to the child.

Basically I give up my seat to everyone except healthy males between 10 and 60. It's the way I was raised.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Speaking of this, I actually had an awkward situation a few days back. I was sat in the stylists waiting to get my hair cut, and this guy with an obvious limp and a grimace on his face walked in and there were no free seats. He obviously had a disability and had a problem with one of his legs, but he was doing his best not to let it show too much. There was nowhere to sit and nobody gave up their seat. I was sat for a good minute contemplating what to do. I didn't want to say "Here mate, do you want to sit down?" when he might take offence and think "I'm perfectly capable of standing up! Even with my disability!". I was saved the choice by being next in the queue and was called a few seconds later. It was an awkward dilemma though, I'd usually give my seat up to most people but didn't want to offend or upset the fella...

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, no public transport available where I live now, nor for that matter for the last 15+ years. But back when there was, I'd give up my seat for an obviously elderly or disabled person.

Now that I am close to one of those categories and might one of these days be the other, I think I would still try to offer my seat to someone worse off than I am.

On the other hand, when I did use public transport, I often stood for most trips because it was just easier than squeezing in and out of crowded seats.

Interesting to see the small but real number of folks who just wouldn't give up a seat for any reason. I may reach that point in my life but I'm not there yet.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'll free my seat for elderly visually above 70, disabled, sick, or injured and a woman with children or pregnant. The deciding factor is wether there are free seats available.

I do not free my seat for impolite people, no matter in what circumstances and how old. 'Excuse me' indeed does wonders.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'll give up my seat if there's no others avaliable.

12. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Because pregnant women never use buses here. It would be very dangerous for them. Bus drivers in my city drive like crazy, especially if they get angry. OTOH because of these crazy drivers, public buses are the funniest and most exciting things in this city for maniacs like me. :shake:

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Rally: I think Uytuun meant people who won't even say "excuse me", much less "please", but will snap at you for not already having stood up yet. Not just people who can't make "excuse me" sound very plaintive. ;)

14. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It depends really. Fortunatelly in train as it was already metioned it rarely becomes an issue. In busses or trams I give my seat to those who seem in the need of it.

I fancy myself as polite, but I don't dare to offer the seat to elderly who manage sometimes better then myself. ;)

Of course should anybody ask, I'd be up in a heartbeat.

And in the end I prefer standing anyway, maybe just to avoid this issue.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Other:

If I see them (being as I usually have my nose buried in a book)

Elderly
    Otherwise physically impaired
    Obviously pregnant women
    People with young/small children

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Don't know how I should interpret your comment, Rally, but yeah, what chev said, basically.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If they are elder and disabled I will offer them my seat if I can.

I can thankfully live with having to stay on feet for a few hours, whereas some may not.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Uytuun and Chev: ditto. THanks for the interpretation!

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Other. I never had cause to offer a seat to anyone, be they old or young. The buses in college town were standing-room-only and I don't go much up here.

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Anyone that needs a seat can have mine, however I get annoyed at obese people that expect me to stand up for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.