1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What would your dream cellphone be?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Feb 5, 2006.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I can't stand the candybar cellphones - even with the key lock on my last one I was constantly managing to reactivate it while it was in my pockets and then speed dialing people.

Having a design that prevents accidental hitting of buttons is my number one desired feature in a cellphone.

Oh and as far as the flip phone thing goes - I have never seen a phone that you describe as a clam shell phone called anything other than a flip phone. As a result when I originally voted I chose flip phone instead of clam shell.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hmm... yes I realize that it might be a bit confusing.

The clamshell is a phone in two halves joined together by a hinge. The flip, on the other hand, is a candybar with a small flip to cover the keyboard. It's kinda like a crossover between a candybar and a clamshell.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Me too. Plus the battery life thing. I never thought of the flippy phones as providing that feature as part of their design as I have never had anything other than what you call a "candy bar" (which always make me think of some sort of weird lollipop shaped telephone).

I have no idea what you would do with 'high speed data transfer' or 'expandable memory'. How many telephone numbers are you expecting to have to store on there?

4. Disciple of The Watch

Harbs, expandable memory is specifically aimed for movie capture, photos, and music. High-speed data transfert is to download ringtones, wallpapers, and it also has it's utility for email, though BlackBerry remains the best for email. It has nothing to do with phone numbers. Storing the phone number is the SIM, or the NAM's job.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh, well given that I only store phone numbers, I probably don't need any expandable memory. I am unlikely to ever have pictures, movies, or music on my mobile phone. I prefer to use technology to simplify my life, not make it even more complicated.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I stand with Harbourboy - simplicity is good - the rest is just crap which jacks up the price.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My dream cellphone would be:
    -- Good looking, like my current Nokia 6060 silver.
    -- Cost less than 200 euros and usage costs less than 20 euros per month.
    -- Reliable.
    -- Able to show good quality broadcasting, both TV and radio.
    -- Can play games and can be hooked to a PC easily.

So yea; I expect a lot. If they can't provide these, then I usually want only vanilla instead of half-baked and expensive extras.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Motorola announced they would be releasing a Slider version of the RAZR, known as "Z". It's a CDMA, and it has been announced only for Korea so far. I do not know if it'll be released world-wide, but I'll post an update as soon as I get more info.

See it here

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My ideal cell phone is one that would not work in theaters, restaurants, or moving vehicles. If a picture phone, it should have a way of getting concent of the subject before the picture can be saved. It should not have a walkie-talkie type feature -- conversations/music should be heard exclusively by the user of the phone.

In fact, all cell phones should have these features.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    How about keys that are not so small you need a toothpick for operating the damn thing?

11. Harbourboy

Excellent points by T2Bruno and Arabwel, which I fully agree with.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Hehe, if you guys dislike small buttons, avoid BlackBerries. They have a full keyboard, yes, but it is painfully small.

As for the walkie-talkie iDEN phones, I agree with T2Bruno, however, this feature is immensely handy, but there is a specific time and place to use it. I mean, I wouldn't use it at school, but I used it a lot back at my former workplace, where placing calls isn't the best option. My next phone probably will be another iDEN. For Canadian fellas, that would be a Telus Mike. For you Americans, that would be Nextel, or Southern LINC.

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I've gone against all three of T2Bruno's points, and will in the future.

Besides, it's a good way to get people stop acting like idiots when you've got a device that can record video. (Even if you don't save that video.)

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    For the moment, I would like something with a monthly internet fee and a good digital camera on board. ;)

15. Disciple of The Watch

Liquid camera lenses announced to be ready for production... an interesting idea.

See it here

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hey...that new RAZR looks pretty cool! :thumb:

And the "water" lens has been in the works for some time now...I remember hearing about back in 2005...it's about time cell phones can finally have the ability to use an optical zoom instead of the crappy digital zoom.

I am still undecided on which phone to upgrade to in about a month or so. T-Mobile's RAZR v3 is still on the list, but now the Samsung t809 has my attention. :rolling:

17. Disciple of The Watch

Yeah, it looks good, but "Z" is a CDMA, so if it's released in the US, it will either be for Verizon, Sprint, or both.

Kitrax... I cannot remember how many times I warned you against the GSM RAZR, and I will continue to. DON'T GET THE DAMN GSM RAZR. Four of my friends bought it (two of them are on a three-years sevice term and the two others on prepaid), and all are banging their heads into the wall because that phone is pure bull****. If looks good, yeah, and that's it. Good-looking container, no contenent.

If I had to choose between the two phones, I would go for the Samsung without even a single second of hesitation. Trust the ****ing judgement of SP's official phone guru for once, for it may save you MANY headaches in the future.

18. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Where can you get new phones for free? I will take 10 right away.

As for the dream cellphone, my Nokia 5140i has about everything I need. It would be perfect with built-in Bluetooth support.

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My Samsung C225 was new at the time that I got it, and it was free. Sure, it doesn't have a camera, and it's missing a few extra features, but it was free. :thumb:

Hmmm....It looks like Motorola is cashing in on the RAZR's looks, they now have the SLVR (pronounced "Sliver"), and the soon-to-be-released 'Z' slider...all of which are super thin, and sport the same keypad as the origanal RAZR. I'm sure more will come too. :rolleyes:

I also have an addition to what features would be in the "dream" cell phone... an Mp3 player that doesn't require iTunes or any other stupid file conversion (i.e. Sony's bulls**t). If I wanted to use my cell phone to listen to music, why the f*** would I want to use iTunes?

And who the hell still uses AIM for IMing these days? And yet, AIM is on almost every cell phone now! :bang:

I hate these stupid agreements companies make to promote their s**ty products...

/end rant :rolling:

20. Disciple of The Watch

The slider version of the RAZR - aka Z - is to be released in a GSM version as well. I'll post more info as I get it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.