1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What would your dream cellphone be?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Okay, arguing with Kitrax in the topic about my 5165 battery problems gave me the idea of another absurd and useless poll.

Some people like their phones with a boatload of bling-bling on it, some like their phone vanilla.

So, let it loose, fellow SPers, and describe what your dream cellphone would be. After voting, drop a post describing it.

A special note for Harbs: I know you like your phones very, very basic, but try to let loose for once and picture your dream phone, will ya?

Another special note for kuemp: I know you hate cellphones, but please don't bash the thread. It's just for fun.

ANYWAYS, personally, I'm not much of a bling fan. A candybar with color screen, polyphonic ringtones and speakerphone is good enough for me.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What would your dream cellphone be? (14 votes.)

What would your dream phone's form factor be? (Choose 4)
    * Candybar - 14% (2)
    * Clamshell - 29% (4)
    * Slider - 7% (1)
    * Flip - 50% (7)

What are the functions you'd like to have? (Choose 10)
    * Music player - 43% (6)
    * High-speed data transfert (UMTS, HSDPA, 1xEVDO) - 57% (8)
    * Camera - 50% (7)
    * Video capture - 43% (6)
    * Polyphonic ringtones - 50% (7)
    * HD color screen - 64% (9)
    * Speakerphone - 50% (7)
    * Expandable memory - 64% (9)
    * Web browser - 36% (5)
    * Other (please specify) - 29% (4)

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My SonyEricsson K300i perfecly matches my expectations and so far I'm very pleased to use it.
    I don't need better camera (I use far better one then any cell phone could ever have) nor I use phone as a MP3 player (there is no cell phone with memory space high enough for my needs :p ) or a radio.
    BTW I use my own ringtones (Slayer!, Iced Earth!, Katatonia!)

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

DotW, when have I bashed a poll of yours? I have a phobia for phones, big whoop.

If I had to have a cellphone, I would just want a phone. I picked flip for the kind; I'd like some way to cover the buttons so they don't get beeped accidentally. I'd like an easy off-on switch that's not hidden or in some silly place and a simple way to talk. I dislike the 'cordless' upstairs because I can't find which button I poke to answer it. Maybe connecting the flippy cover with answering or making a call? Too easy. :p

4. Disciple of The Watch

I put up this special note remembering your 'intense hatred for phones', dear marilith, that is all.

At any rate, airtime expiring tomorrow, switching back to my Telus flip... offering the very cheap rate of .40¢ per minute :rolleyes:

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I want a phone with 40gb+ worth of storage, so basically an iPod. Plus a 5+mega-pixel camera. Also, unlimited message space so I never need to mess about with deleting sessions in my inbox.

Then I'd be happy :)

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Camera (current one has), a full keyboard (current one has), high-speed data transfer (bloody expensive, don't have), a web browser (current one has), support for midlets (IRC!)(current one has, email (current one has)... the 6822 is pretty good, though the keyboard is mostly a joke for IRCing for a longer time, and the camera just isn't good enough - though with 3.5mb of memory, the camera isn't that useful anyway.

A larger, waterproof, shockproof 6822, with a larger screen, better camera, better keyboard, loads more memory, the support for programs series 60 has, PDF reading support (with images!), a good digital camera... and of course running several programs at a time, a text editor and calling while IRCing.

Yeah, I don't talk much with my mobile phone. :p

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Shockproof phone, that would do it; after all, is a PHONE, want music? Zen Micro mp3 player, want internet? have in home (if I'm walking around, I'd get into a ciber), ringtones? Zen plays the musice with much better quality, besides, my phone is not ringing all the time and I WON'T have some silly voice saying some silly stupidity just for the laugh of the other people who hears it; games? have in my computer, they are bigger, better quality, etc.

Why put everything in just one little thing? What if it breaks? No camera, no music, no nothing...

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Take my fiancé’s Samsung e715, and give it a lager screen (both of them), a 1.5 MP+ camera with video capture, and a speakerphone, and that would be the best cell phone of all time! :thumb:

Although, my brother has a Samsung t809 slider...and it's pretty cool. If I were to ever get a slider phone, it would be that one.

BTW, what's the difference between a clamshell and a flip phone? :confused: :rolling:

9. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Take my LG 4500 and square up its lines, and then give it better reception at home so I can ditch my hard wired phone. I pay about $160 amonth for cell and home phone together.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't understand what those 'form factors' are so I couldn't do the poll. But the main additional features that I would like in a 'dream' phone would be:
    - a battery that lasts a whole month so I didn't have worry about recharging
    - indestructible so I don't have to worry about dropping it
    - locator beacon so I can easily find it if I lose it
    - automatic function to make it impossible to accidentally dial a number when it's in your pocket that you don't have to press any extra buttons to de-activate when you actually do want to make a call.
    - ultra low price tag.

$160 a month? That sounds pretty high to me. I pay NZ$50 a month for both.

11. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know the country of origin of Samsung and LG?

12. Disciple of The Watch

Kitrax, a clamshell is two halves connected by a hinge, while the flip is basically a candybar phone with a flip that covers the keyboard.

Samsung and LG are both South Korean, I think.

13. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Thank you~

I just read an article that indicated that 68% of the French think that they're both Japanese :mad:
    Just wondering if it were the same in other Western countries hehe.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so Clamshell 100% for me. :thumb:

I know for a fact that Samsung is in South Korea...not too sure about LG as it's a crappy company, if I had to guess, I would say S. Korea too.

@ywpark89: That remaining 32% is probably taken from 'French Speaking Canada' where there is some actual brain matter between their ears... :lol: :shake:

Have you ever tried to call a lost phone? As the ringing gets louder, it means you're getting closer to your lost phone! So technically, every cell phone has a locator beacon built in...unless it's set on vibrate mode... :rolleyes:

That seems impracticable. My "candy bar" style cell phone has a feature that locks the keypad by holding the '*' key for 2 seconds, and to unlock it, all you have to do is press two keys...
    That's easy enough for me.
    What, free phones aren't cheep enough?!?! :eek:

15. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My dream cell phone has to come with a phone line, a wire of some sort that is attached into the wall. i will not settle for anything less!

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

One that doesn't scratch or breaks when it falls (because it will fall).

17. Disciple of The Watch

Indeed!

And Kitrax, LG phones are far from being crappy. I must say I had some serious doubts when I purchased mine (A VX-3200, for the record), but the time I used it proved me wrong. This phone is AMAZING. The sound is crystal clear (CDMA is great for that), the reception is awesome, I switched to analog mode maybe once, and I was in the 4th level of an underground parking lot. Apart from that, I'm always on 1x.

LG GSM phones are a bit inferior because LG's speciality is CDMA, but phones of both tech perform admirably. I definitively recommend LG for cellphones.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not if it's on silent or it's turned off, which mine would usually be. I almost never have my phone set to an audible ring.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I guess my ideal would be a clamshell phone with no side buttons that are exposed on the outside.

It would have a long battery life and would be hefty enough that I could actually feel it in my pocket so that I can be reasonably assured of not losing it and being able to locate it in a hurry if I need to answer a call.

Apart from that, I don't care about any other features. I don't want to use it to play games or listen to music.

I suppose that if they were able to create a camera phone that could take pictures of a quality similar to my digital camera then that might be neat. However, I have no use for the poor quality pictures that the current camera phones take.

20. Disciple of The Watch

:shake:

Well, judging by the results so far, the favorite form factor is flip (!!!), which kinda surprises me, actually. Candybar is SO much better, but I'm not here to impose my opinion. I As for functions, high-speed data transfert, poly ringtones, HD color screen, speakerphone and expandable memory are favorites. You folks sure like your phones bling, do you? :p :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.