1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What Topic in the Alley Most Gets On Your Nerves?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Master, you're not making sense to me, even in dutch. :grin:

You say things to [getuigen]? :confused:

Perhaps it's due to my lack of sleep ;)

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Or perhaps it's due to MY lack of sleep... ;)

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, less babble in the AoDA forum please.

4. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I definitely get annoyed with any of the political, religious, and the "bioethics" discussions (a term which I'm hearing for the first time, heh).

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I get tired of the topics with 57 links to papers and news articles that I have to read first to have enough fundamental knowledge to be able to participate in the discussion reasonable.

I'm also pretty sick of topics that people start for (seemingly) no reason other than to pick a fight. Very often, those happen to be (or turn into) America-bashing.

6. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I voted other. Topics don't really annoy me. It's what's posted. Sometimes I wonder why we bother to post. If it's to share your opinion we have a lot of that. If it's to TRULY argue the merits of each person's side I don't see that often. Most have already made up their minds. Few actually admit to being wrong or changing one's mind after hearing another's argument. There's a basic lack of respect probably because we're too far from each other to feel any repercussions. Isn't it harder to debate with someone face to face because you see an actual living being? Respect is given mostly to the mods. Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't be respected. It seems they're the only ones respected. How many of us would dare to verbally abuse them the way others SPers are abused? Check the threads. You won't find many.

AoDA is becoming a forum for merely stating your opinion or showcasing your knowledge. Some put down others by stating their job, educational attainment or age. Some won't believe the sources of information from which the others are arguing from. Phrases like, "Second hand info isn't reliable. It has to be first hand" abound. This will elicit a "You're first hand source isn't believable. He has vested interests." How are we supposed to debate then? The answer is we don't. I just content myself with answering to the best of my knowledge without bashing anyone.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Damit, Charlie hit the nail directly on head.

I don't think anyone is gonna change his views, just because others got better arguments. In this case, people just get angry and leave. On the other hand, you always have a chance to learn new things and someone who's opinion isn't already hard as stone might be influenced. And those who can't be influenced or convinced (like ... me), get a chance to see, that others (or at least I) see things in a different way.

I guess that's why they call it a forum. And the feeling you get from it: the blues.

or France-bashing, Europe-bashing, Arabia-bashing, South-korea bashing....

[ April 02, 2003, 12:22: Message edited by: Yago ]

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] To be honest, i find religion a touchy issue. I mean with the people like Bin Laden preaching on about holy war against America and the Democracies is totally absurd. Maybe he should consider re-reading the Quran (sp) (assuming he isn't 'floating' up there in the heavens that he believes he shall enter which i seriously doubt. and he might find out that Islam is a religion based on tolerance of others. On another part, a holy war can only be sanctioned for one particular reason which i have forgotten... I think its something to do with another religion trying to force islam follwers to convert to theirs but don't hold me to that. But i do know that the whole thing with democracy has nothing to do with a Holy War ... :mad: I personally hope he burns in the eternal pit of hell! :flaming:

I also find these random e-mails from my relatives in Singapore (they're all muslims) which go on about how we must pray or else god will punish us and islam is the only correct religion that God or Allah approves of. That seriously ticks me off :mad: :mad:

Sorry if i've offended anyone but this is my view on the whole thing. As i mainly come from a islamic background, though i hold no or little religious beliefs myself, i must admit that most of the things that annoy me is the way a small minority of islam people conduct myself.

9. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

crikes, I was going to mention what I found annoying, but to do so after Charlies excellent post seems slightly silly.

Oh, well; may as well. :)

Evolution. See Vuklodak's (perceptive) post above; and the even more perceptive (and accurate) post by Mathetais almost immediately afterwards.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

C_L

When you said
    What did you mean ... that I am annoying, or that Evolution is a crock? ;)

11. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Graduate evolutionary biologist me :)

[ April 02, 2003, 17:14: Message edited by: Christopher_Lee ]

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Voted Religion because well for me Religion is the stuff you find left behind in some stables.

If you didn't get that I meant Bull ****.

But hey that's just me :p .

Oh and isn't evolution a scientific fact?
    Or am I opening a huge can with worms right now?

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yes, you are... :D

Religion for me, too, because there is NO WAY we can prove our beliefs valid. No freaking way. And then people start behaving like Joacqin so perfectly put it, this were the 16th century :rolleyes: or otherwise irrationally because faith is such a strong thing. It overrides logic, and people post things they might not otherwise say...

(/end rant mode)

14. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Religion and especially is God evil topic gets me on my nerves.
    We can't prove them o why argue and create chaos?

15. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

to Charlie and those that would agree: it is just a wonderful (if somewhat unproductive in RL) manner of amusing oneself to debate, just like playing CRPG's and most hobbies.
    If you don't like that, well than forget AoDA but I love it. Totally

16. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I hate the bioethics stuff, [snip].

[Offensive rest removed.] -Tal

[ April 04, 2003, 21:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'd have to say religion, but for different reasons than have been given. I rarely debate actual theological points in the Alley, but I WILL argue people who say dumb or misinformed things about a religion. The flare up of anti-Mormon sentiment in the Random Babbling Post was a good example. It was started by some posts that were false, and evryone got ramped up from there. I don't care if people don't agree with my theology, and as has been stated before there is virtually no way to convince someone about matters of faith, but I WILL argue blanket statements regarding my practices (or the practices of other religions, for that matter -- I'm no Catholic, but when people say they have insidious plots to control the world, that is an issue of fact, and I will argue against such nonsense anyday.)

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I can't stand the topics like: "Why Bush Sucks", "Why America Sucks", and "Why I suck for living in America, and supporting Bush".

My thoughts on these kinds of topics...
    • If you don't live in America, but constantly complain about it...just be glad you live in a country where you can do anything that you want...right? Oops, sorry about that, I guess you can't.
    • If you live in America, but don't like it...GET OUT!!! Go move to a place where you can moan all you want about your government and not get punished for it...oh wait, I guess you would still be in America. Sorry about that...
    • And lastly, if you don't like someone else's government, I think you should take a good look at your own country's government, and do a lot of researching on both before you start complaining about another's. You don't see me Bi*$#ing about how much Tony Blair sucks, (even though I think he's a decent guy), or how much Norway's government sucks...which I don't, because I know nothing about it.
    Anyways...that's my 2 cents. :rolling:

19. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

right.

[ April 09, 2003, 12:40: Message edited by: Yago ]

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Kitrax, my opinion on posts like that is that it is a one route biased account of an individual that hasn't studied the past and seeing how the Americans (and whoever else they claimed to have sucked) have helped in this world. It also seems to be more of a statement then a topic for discussion. Saying that, when i think about it, I'll have to say that Hitler and Starlin must have done something right to raise their countries to a power, despite the fact that if they were still around, I'd probably have been murdered by Hitler for not being of the 'perfect' race and also by Starlin for being more Capatalist (sp)

I think you may have to excuse my grammer or sentence structure here. I apologise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.