1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What devices do you use to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you have music on 8 track that you like to listen to why run out and buy dvds, assuming you can get the music on dvd?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Audio quality for one. :thumb:
    And if you have a CD player that can read .mp3 songs, you can pack over 100 songs on a single CD.

Compare the audio quality of your favorite song on an 8 track player, and then again on a DVD-audio disk. Your 8 track player will be out on the curb on the next trash pickup day. :rolling:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is probably why I don't make a point of listening to things on the latest techno-gadgets because it probably does sound a little bit better. But if I only listen to my old gear then I will never know what I am missing.

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

By the way, Kitrax, you have Creative Zen Micro, right? Ever used the feature 'Smart sound' (or whatever is called in English)?
    It took hours for the Media Source Organizer music analizer tool to scan my thousands mp3s and when used in the Zen the sound quality seems to lower a bit. I guess that the tool what makes it is to get the sound level of mp3s 'equal' but I still can hear that some of the songs has lower volume and some higher.

5. Kitrax

Media:
    I've never used this Smart Sound feature that you speak of. My misic organization is different than most people that have the Zen Micro. I use the Creative Zen Micro Media Explorer to import, and organize the music on my Mp3 player, I use CDex to rip the songs from CDs, and I use WinAMP for playing Mp3s on my computer. All Mp3 files on my computer at all in the 'My Music' folder, and I have sub folders for each artist that I have 4 or more songs from.

I know Creative Media Source Player comes with the software package, but I don't like using it. WinAPM is easier, looks better, and has features that the CMSP doesn't. :thumb: :rolling:

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

100? Sheesh, dude, I already packed near 200 on a damn CD.

7. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah, well, I was calculating a 5.5MB average song size on a standard 650MB disk. If you encode the songs at say, 128Kbps, then the average size will drop...so you would be able to pack more on. Using a 700MB disk would change things a bit too.

And I *did* say "over" a hundred didn't I? :shake: :rolling:

8. Disciple of The Watch

I rip my mp3 ad 112 Kbps, and it still produces decent quality. Hell, on my old P2, when space was a constant matter, I even did 96 kbps, and it still sounded not too bad.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Nothing less than a bit-rate of 160 here, sometimes 192Kbps.

10. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Why are there two questions when they are exactly the same?

I only ever use my mp3s. Vynil is too much of a pain, CDs get scratched, and tapes are just annoying.

IMHO, surround sound is nothing more than a gimmick. You will never notice the difference playing music, and just because it's in a different audio channel doesn't make it sound any better than if it were in another audio channel. As far as movies, well, maybe but it's not worth the hassle and price to set up. And you are not going to get a descent set up for 60$. Hell, my earbuds for my portable mp3 player nearly cost that(I'm willing to bet the specs are better too:)) As far as video games, maybe, but I'd take my audiophile quality headphones over *any* surround sound set any day of the week.

As far as bit rate, I rip them with VBR, with a low of 160kbps, although it almost never goes above.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Agreed.

Only if you play with them in your sandpit. I've had CDs for 20 years that still play as well as they did when I bought them.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Meh, in the case of CD-R and CD-RW that's not much of a problem. But with proper care, CDs last a long time, just like vinyls do.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Sure do, sure do. But the CDs I burn tend to last less than the one I buy. And plus bought CDs has cool label and case.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    Which ones? I am unaware of any identicle questions... :confused:

Maybe I just have bad luck with CDs, but I'ds say that 90% of all my CDs are scratched a fair amount, and I always keep them in my CaseLogic case. :rolling:

15. Harbourboy

I can't imagine what you could have done to your CDs for them to get that scratched. Maybe Utah is unnaturally sandy and the level of atmospheric sand is too high for CDs to survive.

16. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The two questions were:
    What devices do you use to listen to music?
    and:
    What devices do you use to listen to music?

They look the same to me. :confused: *shrugz*

Most of my CDs don't get scratched, although I just rip them to mp3 format and not even play them anymore. I don't like them, because it's annoying to pick them out of my collection and stick them in the player, maybe I'm just lazy and find it alot easier to just pick from a list in winamp.

The CDs I scratched, I had stepped on them :D

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really like it for games. The sound really seems to be directional, as Kitrax has pointed out already. Headphones? You can keep 'em.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Yeah, I played Doom 3 on a 5.1 Home Theater. It's not for the weak of heart, let me tell you!

Anyhoo, the CDs I scratched, they were burnt ones which I don't really care about. The bought CDs of my collection, however, are museum-quality and I take pride in that.

19. Kitrax

Media:
    Hedron, you must be blind or something because the two questions are as follows:

"What devices do you use to listen to music? (that you currently own)"

"What devices do you use to listen to music? (that you use on a regular basis)"

There's a huge difference between the two questions...just because you might own some of the devices listed, doesn't mean that you actually use them on a regular basis. :doh: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.