1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What devices do you use to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How do you get your vinyl music on to your PC, Chandos?

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    HB - Direct line-in through MM software.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well since my CD player (teac) has RCA capabilities I plug either my Computer or my Playstation 2 for better sounnd quality than those crappy compy speakers. I use my CD player to play CDs, since it's roughly two feet away from the compy. However I do have a large collection of mp3 downloaded from internet. They are mostly (about 80%) mp3s from people who made music and made them available through the internet. I also possess a panasonic portable cd player that I use in my daily walk. I also have a sony mp3 player, which honnestly I don't use that much.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, Chandos, I didn't understand much of your post as it started to get a bit techo for me (e.g. I have no idea what a pre-logic carver is - I'm sure I don't want my logic carved up). You are clearly some sort of audio-phile and have loads of spare money to spend on all sorts of stereo goodies.

Why do I seem to be the only person here who can only afford to have one basic mini-stereo in his house?

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I have 2 CD players, one in my computer and one old battered 7-year-old portable thing that cuts out often. But I never use that since I have an mp3 player. An iRiver H320... that cuts out after about 3 songs, and it's only just over a year old. Fortunately, iRiver give 2 year warranties, unlike some other popular mp3 player makers.

6. Harbourboy

7 year old player? My stereo is 17 years old and still works fine!

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

This is an age of disposable technology. TBH, it wasn't even meant to last 7 years. Most people I know replace things like that after a couple of years.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Not really. Just working in electronics has a few benefits (huge discounts) - sometimes...

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Comp for all my needs. 'twas expensive, so better rip full benefits out of it.

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

@HB

You don't have to be a computer genius in order to get music from vynil records or tapes on to pc, it's very simple. All you need is the correct cable (rca/phone jack or phone jack/phone jack, it depends on your amplifier), which will connect the amplifier of your stereo with the sound card of your computer and a sound recording software, which is included in the software of the modern sound cards or can be downloaded as a freeware.

As for the topic of the thread, vinyl rules. CDs are used only in the car cd player or in my computer if the specific album has not been released in vinyl.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You obviously have your priorities mixed up. And you might be someone like my dad who's motto is "the cheapest, and most basic works for me!" You might not care to archive your extensive CD/Mp3 collection onto a 2 Dual Layer DVDs, or listen to music blasting on a 5.1 speaker system...but if it has a basic source of audio, and a basic speaker or two, it's good enough for you. There are a lot of people like that HB...don't worry, you're not alone. :mommy: :rolling:

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, and I've sold a lot of E Machines, with Celeron processors, to those who feel exactly the same. Technology IS highly overrated - but it's still fun. ;)

13. Harbourboy

Not only do I not do any of that, I don't even know what it means. My stereo has two speakers. Not sure what I would do with 5 speakers plus 1/10 of a speaker. What's the 1/10th of a speaker for? Is it some mini speaker?

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It's actually the "big one" (the sub). It comes with the other five. :)

http://www.5dot1.com/how_to_listen_in_5_1.html

15. Harbourboy

So it's a 6 speaker system then, not a 5.1 speakers system?

16. Kitrax

Media:
    Ok Harby, I'm going to walk you through this, and together, I hope we (you) will learn form it.

A 5.1 speakers is actually 6 speakers, but the ".1" is a subwoofer and can only produce bass. The other 5 are paced all around you for true surround sound. 3 up front (left, center, and right) and two behind you.
    Now while listening to music, playing BG2, and especially watching DVDs, the music/noises move within those 5 speakers to make you feel that you are actually *there*.

For example, wile playing BG2, if my party is all together on the screen, their voices will come from the front 3 speakers, but if Immy, is still running to catch up, her voice will only be heard from one of the rear speakers and you feel as if she's actually behind you. :rolling:

Listen to: 'The Cars - Moving in Stereo' on a 5.1 speaker system you can hear the different instruments moving across the different audio channels (speakers). :thumb:

See...it's not that hard to understand. :rolling:

17. Harbourboy

Thanks Kitrax. Sounds expensive to me. I usually play computer games with the sound off, or down super low anyway (so I don't wake the kid but can still hear if he wakes up) so it wouldn't make any difference to me.

18. Kitrax

Media:
    Actually, my Creative Labs 5.1 speaker setup was only $60...and that was almost 3 years ago. The USB soundcard that I use is Creative Lab's Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, which I got on sale for just over $100. An internal sound card for a desktop would be better than my USB sound card...but it works just fine for my laptop. :thumb:

The typical AV system costs:
    $50 and up for a tape player
    $250 for a CD/DVD 5-disk changer
    $400 and up for a receiver
    $100 and up for a turntable
    and $50 and up for each speaker...and all you can do woth it is listen to music and hear the DVD's audio though it.

Compare that to a $160 system hooked up to a computer that produces awsome sounds quallity...You can do so much more with a computer at the same time too...

The choice is obvious to me. :p :rolling:

19. Harbourboy

I guess sound isn't as important to me as it is to you. My 17 year old stereo works fine and I'm too lazy and/or poor to go and buy anything else. I've got the iPod Shuffle that I was given for Christmas so that is enough of a new audio toy to keep me happy for a few years.

20. Kitrax

Media:
    Wow...3 of you guys still have 8 track players, while one of you still uses it on a regular basis! :eek:

My only question is: Why?!? :shake: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.