1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What devices do you use to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, we all know that HB still uses his 19th century wax cylinder gramophone as his main source of music, but I'm sure the rest of us use CDs and Mp3s the most often, which means we have a CD player and an Mp3 player.

The poll has two questions, the first is a list of devices that you currently own; while the second list is for which device you use on a regular basis (i.e. at least a few times a week.)

For me, I have 5 CD players (1 in each car, one in my stero shelf system, one in my computer, and one portable "diskman") and 2 Mp3 players (my laptop, and my Creative Zen Micro.)

FM/AM radio is not included because it is not a tangable form of audio. :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What devices do you use to listen to music? (36 votes.)

What devices do you use to listen to music? (that you currently own) (Choose 9)
    * Gramophone record system (Wax cylinders) - 0% (0)
    * Gramophone record system (Vinyl disks) - 31% (11)
    * 8-Track player - 8% (3)
    * Tape player - 47% (17)
    * CD player - 81% (29)
    * Mini-Disk player - 19% (7)
    * Mp3 player (not a computer) - 50% (18)
    * Computers for CDs, DVD audio, and Mp3s/other compressed audio formats - 92% (33)
    * I'm deaf...so this poll doesn't apply to me/Just the results for me. - 0% (0)

What devices do you use to listen to music? (that you use on a regular basis) (Choose 9)
    * Gramophone record system (Wax cylinders) - 0% (0)
    * Gramophone record system (Vinyl disks) - 17% (6)
    * 8-Track player - 3% (1)
    * Tape player - 11% (4)
    * CD player - 64% (23)
    * Mini-Disk player - 8% (3)
    * Mp3 player (computers count too) - 53% (19)
    * Computers for CDs, DVD audio, and Mp3s/other compressed audio formats - 72% (26)
    * I'm deaf...so this poll doesn't apply to me/Just the results for me. - 0% (0)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Unfortunately, my wax cylinder has melted in the beautiful summer sun we're having at the moment so I have to resort to listening to one of my two CD players (house one and car one - note that I have not yet got around to making my iPod Suffle work). But mostly I would listen to the radio - which was not an option on this poll.

Side note: I wish I could afford to have 5 CD players and 2 cars.....

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    lol...One car is mine, and one car is my faince's...so technicly, they're ours...but still mine at the same time. :rolleyes: :p

The reason I didn't add FM/AM radio, is because you can't sell "FM radio" at the store. It's not a tangable medium like a CD...it's an invisable wavelength.

I might have a new nickname for you HB: "Geezer with the Gadgets" :hahaerr: :rolling:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wish I could afford to have all the latest gadgets, but I can't, so I have to make do with what I do have. I spent so much money on my existing stereo and all my CDs and they still all work fine so I don't need to get anything new at this stage.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I would include radio because you need to have a radio tuner to be able to listen to it, which is quite tangible.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Picked up some vinyl by way of inheritance, but don't use it very often. Mostly radio for me, with the occasional computer or DVD player use for celebrations and such. The car has a tape deck and a CD player, only used on long trips where you can't just stick with a station.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My old stuff - albums, 8-track, cassettes - are back in Iowa. I'm stuck with mailed cassettes and CDs I could get here. I usually listen to CDs on the CD player. I have 2 songs d/l on my computer and I can't see the point of ripping off my CD music to my computer when I can walk five feet and click on the CD player. :p

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Mp3 and computer. No need for a CD any more, but of couse I am forced to listen to CD and radio music from time to time, especially crappy radio music in my gym (but now with my new Mp3 player I can overcome that)

9. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] You know - I use all those devices regularly, except the wax cylinder :grin:

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I'm probably one of the few persons who prefers mini-disc over a portable mp3 player.

I usually listen to vinyl solely for the listening; I don't put it up as background music that often. Radio and CDs are more suitable for background music imho.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I use to listen music with portable CD player, I have 3, but they are archived in some box around because I have a Creative Zen Micro, which is the one who provides me with the music at home (connected to the stereo) and when I go anywhere, when walking, headphones, when in car, connected to an amplifier (sp?) so I have plenty of music styles that I know most of the people who a travel with in car likes.
    Zen rules :grin: :rolling:

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

You're not alone, Mesmero. I prefer the sound quality I get from my Mini-Disc player to that of any MP3 player I've put my hands on.

13. Harbourboy

Snap, kuemper. I'm with you on that one.

14. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

MP3 player, my computer and my hi-fi system (I love my CD collection :bigeyes: ).
    I also own a tape player (and one is in my car but I use audio converter connected to my MP3 player :p )

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Vinyl :p

I also have a vintage tape player, a CD player and I am well on my way to get a Zen Micro :p

16. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I use CD mostly. I don't want to end up getting into MP3 just yet since there is a possiblity that they may become illegal, thanks to Sony.

**OFF TOPIC** Sony is one of many Hollywood companies trying to make MP3, DVD burners and other new technology that will allow end users the ability to copy media illegal yet it was Sony who was fought hard to allow VCR to become a legal way of copying media in the 70's and 80's. And now they are on the other end.

I hope Hollywood looses. After all a good arguement would be the fact that if the product is used solely to copy a purchased product, to protect the product purchased, the product should be allowed. That is why I hate all these copy right protective programing in new DVD's and games. As long as you purchased the game/DVD/Music, etc... you should be allowed to copy it. Maybe provide the individual who purchased the game with a second serial number at no extra charge.

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I see a point in ripping my music CDs because:
    - I listen music very often, so CDs usually scratches, and I won't buy another one because of that.
    - I bought lots of CDs, lots, and many of them, have at least 14 tracks, but, usually, I like 2 or 3 of them, so, I won't walk 5 feet to change from track 4 to 11 or to change the CD after 2 songs.
    - I work in an office that I have to myself, so I can hear whatever I want, so, for same reasons as above, is easy for me to have the mp3 player connected to an amplifier and let it play hours of music without having me walking every 4 songs to change CD/track.
    Maybe are silly reasons, but they work very nice for me :p

18. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't listen to music all that much. But when I do it's usually on my computer... I do own a CD-Player, though; and I've once owned a Mp3-player... wonder what happened to that one :hmm:

19. Harbourboy

I don't think I've ever listened to music using my computer. I guess it's not something I would ever think of doing.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    My main music player is my computer, which now has an Asus DVD double layer burner. But I use mostly a secondary Yamaha CD drive for burning music. The Yamaha has burned everything that I've thrown at it over the last couple years, and the discs will playback on just about any type of player.

I no longer upload or download music, since the courts have ruled it illegal, but I still have about 500 CDs and about 1500 vinyl discs that I have purchased over the years, and have been in the process of loading onto my PC. It is all played back through a Logitech 280/560 watt THX 5.1 sound system, and Musicmatch software. The vinyl is somtimes remixed and cleaned-up through Audio Cleaning Lab's software, which works fairly well, but sometimes can alter the sound a bit if I am not careful.

My office sound system is an old 100 watt/per channel JVC receiver with JBL floor standing speakers. The only playback device is a Toshiba DVD-CD player, which also plays back MP3s without having to be converted into waves.

My main sound system is usually in use by the rest of the family (since it is also hooked to the TV) and it consists of a 200 watt/per channel Carver main amp, with a dolby pro-logic Carver pre-amp. The speaker system is by Polk Audio, and a turntable, for vinyl (Panasonic), and tape recorder and regular CD player/changer, also by Carver. The Carver will playback anything that I have burned on the Yamaha, but discs burned on the Asus will not playback here.

I also have a standard CD player in my car, which will play back just about anything, and an old Intel 3000 MP3 player for portable music. But it only has 192MB of memory, so I can only fit roughly 30 tunes on it at a time.

Radio? Never listen to the thing.

[ January 06, 2006, 01:34: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.