1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Well, what kind of RP?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dalamar Maximus, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, I've just been feeling like starting the most negative RP I possibly could ... alas, such a thing probably wouldn't go down well here - getting to that sort of negativity would probably involve breaking several rules :(

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I thought of a couple questions as to what kind of RP to create. Warwic is done atm, so I'm getting the urge to bring my ex-RL campaign here.

Would you prefer an RP where you describe interactions between your PC and others, the world and NPCs with some fighting?

Or would you rather have an RP where you continually fight? Dungeon crawl-esque?

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've only really played the first so a straightforward crawl would be fun as well. I'm happy to go with the flow as long as the story moves I'm happy :)

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

"I'd like to see what's behind door number one, Chip!" :roll:
    Dungeon crawls are great for cRPGs or PnP, but on a cooperative text RP, I'd rather have a bit of interaction instead.

5. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I agree with DarkStrider, as long as the story moves along, I don't mind either way ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Interaction definitely gets my vote.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Where's option three, doctors and nurses...

Okay, fine, I'll be serious. I prefer interaction.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like RP's where ther is interaction. I play off others post but I also like one that moves and has a lot of action in it.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Dungeon crawl in a play by post game = horrible. It's just not suited to the format.

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It looks like the talk of another RP thread died out about 2 weeks ago, but I'd be game for another Dungeon and Dragons RP, I'm just "dying" for a thread to RP Arethir and Aurora in (assuming no one minds the ridiculous racial abilities their respective blood lines grant them).

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, that new Battletank RP did start up, so something did come out of all that talk.

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, since I want to see Scot's WW2 rp start, I'm gonna do so myself over the next few days. I reckon it'll be in France, to get a good mix of Germans, Maquis, and OSS

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It's difficult to post a new RP, either stylishly or totally different from the usual ones, and knowing of the 20 or so active posters, not even 1/4 will bother to talk about the idea.

I've only thrown out a futuristic-military type because it's one of two ways I know I can 'lead' people and remain in character.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actual the Corner is very busy right now. There are a lot of choices and it's just a question of time and preference.

RP's come and go.

All anyone has to do is post an idea and see if there is any interest.

15. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I was thinking of doing an RP with a lich seeking it's all consuming goal across the north of Faerun (maybe trying to find some lost little temple somewhere in the North). Obviously since a lich will perform any action in order to come closer to this goal, I figure the lich lays waste to the area, doing whatever it takes to try to discern information.

The adventuring party is created as an attempt at the very least to turn the liche away living areas and at the very most deal with a very dangerous lich who has completed his reason for entering lichdom, becoming something something delusional, needing to be destoryed so it cannot be exploited by other evil creatures.

Unfortunately I know I can't dictate the story with Aurora in the RP as it will become just that, a story instead of an RP.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, I'm not interested in trying to start an RP here because I don't trust you all to be interested (or, for that matter, to be any good :p There's not much fun in starting an RP if the RPers don't fit what you're after). The RP corner caters mostly for D&D-fantasy, with a smattering of other things, but they're generally within a certain grouping of ... something. Anything out of this, I'll wager, is going to get ignored or misinterpreted. The Battletech one had an easy start because it had an existing player base - can something offbeat without a backing like that survive? *doubts*

Plus, there's plenty of active RPs at the moment - more than any other period of SP's history, I'd bet. I don't think there's much room for another one. Of course, I could be wrong - I'm not sure how many people uninvested in a game there are that are willing to play.

If you're going to start something D&Dish - there's a fair chance that you'll have a player base because that's what this site was designed around. Other things seem very hit-and-miss.

Er, I think I just said what kuemper and Nakia said - except in a whole heap more words...

17. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Aik It's ok having doubts about an RP but deciding that we aren't interested or good enough to play your RP without telling us what it is, is in IMO very judgemental of you and I for one would be offended if I thought you really meant that. :)

Unfortunately my campaigns that I could try and convert to RP probably wouldn't hold any new interest they aren't set in FR, they're not 3 or 3.5 rules but 2e AD&D rules and are too long and too structured for the environment and I don't really have time at the moment to try and create a new one, maybe later.

18. Nakia

Media:
    We have a variety of RPs going. Not just 3 or 3.5 ed. Which in my opinion doesn't translate well into forum playing very well. There are no dice rolls unless you roll your own dice. :) I think people set up their characters using DnD rules because either they already have the character developed or they are just more comfortable thinking in DnD terms.

19. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I like to use D+D terms just because it makes my characters easier to understand. That my character Arethir has a starting unmodified charisma of 22, (+4 racial modifier :D ) helps people understand that despite being icy, cruel and demeaning, his powerful personal magnetism, flawless looks and instense personality keep situations from degenerating into violence or other such similar action.

It also helps me from making my characters (Arethir specifically) go crazy with knowledge of random things. Skills make it so Arethir's knowledge sticks with arcana, history, nature, the planes and religion (all this is curtesy of his six levels of monstrous humaniod) instead of everything.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

(Note, all references to how 'good' someone is are purely subjective - my good is probably not your good :) )

It's not that you personally aren't good enough - it's just that it's impossible to be sure whether you're good enough, short of actually playing with you :p Now, that should be a simple matter - and in a real-time environment it is - but PBP is a long process that is *painful* if the people turn out to suck. It only takes one person with dodgy ideas and the whole thing goes to hell - I've played enough games that do that to know.

So, it's a risk, and I think the odds are stacked against on this one. My ratio of good:bad PBP RPGs isn't very promising, so I'm a bit jaded :p

As for not interested - well, that's just wild assuming, yes - but let's face it, some ideas take off better than others - and here it's clear which ideas should in theory do so. Again, I don't have a good record with more off-beat games working.

But yeah, let's face it - I am pretty judgemental :p I'd rather not be, but urgh, I'm not sure if I can stand another horribly disappointing game :p

To the D&D terms:

In freeform PBP, I can't stand them. I wouldn't mind if they made any sense to use, served any mechanical or social purpose, etc (well, I wouldn't play in those games still, but they wouldn't be superfluous) - but as it is I don't find them adding anything but really flat character descriptions.

To my mind, a decent writer should be able to convey that the character can captivate an audience and such without everyone having to look at stats. Sure, it might make things blatently clear - but I'm not sure I'm a fan of blatent...

Of course, anyone who wants to move D&D rules into PBP should consider slitting their wrists, which I think would be more enjoyable :p The system hardly works as it is, let alone in a format totally unsuited to it...

Also, having a D&D-mentality pretty well restricts what kind of games can be played. I can't stand D&D and have a healthy dislike of the genre, so when people start bringing in D&D throwbacks, well - yuck.

I'm not even talking about porting the rule system when I talk about D&D - just the fantasy world which is very similar to the standard D&D - really kills my interest.

But yeah, this is turning into a whingy rant, so maybe I'll add something constructive.

One idea I've been playing with which would be well suited to a PBP game is a hard science fiction game set on an alien world (I'm specifically thinking an interstellar planet ). The game would be as much about building the world as it would be playing in it - with things working intelligently, and would thus require a huge amount of player investment. There would be a large OOC aspect to the game, possibly structured in a similar way to Nomic (but with less waffle), which allows people to add stuff to the world outside of their characters in a way agreeable to all and working with the stuff that's already in game.

Characters would either be the aliens (which would be awesome but almost impossible to do properly, at least at first), or maybe visiting humans.

Overall, it probably has a very large simulationist bent - which would be fine in PBP because the format gives the room to explore the world and aliens with the detail it deserves.

Now, if anyone is interested in that - I'll eat both my words and my foot :p If you're not, I really can't blame you...

Most of my thoughts for PBP involve big player investment, because it makes sense with the format. A low investment dungeon crawl is clearly better suited to real-time where the action can flow fluidly, a totally foreign world clearly works better in PBP because you have time to research and add details. *shrugs* A lot of people don't see it that way, however.

In the end, whatever floats your boat...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.