1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Well, what kind of RP?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dalamar Maximus, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only person here that might be a venerable DM is The Kilted Crusader. :)

Some others may have DMed in P&P or in one of the older threads.

Basically what some one does is post an OCC thread with a detailed description of their RP idea. Letting people know what type, where, some idea of how the RPing will be handled.

The person who starts the thread is the DM unless they wish to have someone else do it and that person agrees.

Who ever is interested posts and the RP either takes off or doesn't.

The character sheet is an inovation we started here with Rashemen.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I insist of GMless freeform - without it I have no interest (of course, you might not care - in that case, go ahead :p ).

JiggaJay: Your idea is the closest to what I'm interested in, actually. Freeform, no GM, no defined plot but rather reacting to the player's interests. My only points of contest are: a) Setting it in FR, and b) it seems by what you're saying that the guy in Icewind Dale isn't actually interacting with anyone - now, this can be cool (it works in Nationstates) - but I'm hoping that there's also multi-characters and such so that others can interact with the guy raising the dragon army as well as bumming around Beregost with different characters.

I'm a bit wary of that one - it can work (it's essentially what I did for Pirates of the Sorcerean - and was pretty much the only way at the time as waiting to discuss the idea would have meant stagnation and death), but I'm not sure that it would be the best approach this time. It might end up as one of those RPs where people think they're interested in but then the direction of the game changes (That was what killed Lantus' first game). I think, seeing that there is currently a heap of interest in PBP - we should be able to come up with a starting scenario that we know is going somewhere and that won't stagger around before dying horribly at the hands of a disinterested populance. No need top waste anyone's time that way - and it will have elements that all involved in starting it up are interested in, rather than just the single person who starts the thread.

3. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

yes, my good friend IceCold_83's dwarf eventually invaded the entire sword coast with his army and his dragon, which made for some pretty serious defense of cities kind of thing for the other people. We did a LOT of interacting and all that. Many of us have (had) multiple characters, like one guy (lat I belive :D ) had his paladin and a halfling assassin.

Glad you like my idea, I'll definitely think about starting it up.

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Freestyle just means no DM I assume?

I like the idea of an RP thread where in we have multiple characters as so many characters of mine already had extensive history with each other. Also gives me a chance to play more personality aspects.

5. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Laelit has no definite DM ya know. :)

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And we each have at least two characters to play. Plus 5 Travellers are going with us. Alandro seems to have snagged one and I think one of the others was walking around with another - both female :) .

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

That's because Daie likes many characters. Recap: I ahev Alandro, Alandra, Nightingale and Sophia to rp now....

Scot! You gonna start a WW2 thread? Maybe? PLease?

8. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, I think I will. Give me a couple days to get things together.

9. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I personally would like to participate in a Faerun RP. I also agree with Aikanaro, in that there should be at least some sort of central theme-to begin with. I think it would be cool to start of with enough plot to serve as a basis for a starting adventure or conflict, then to let it go from there as the characters actions and interatcions cause events to unfurl. That way, the characters would have some sort of common ground and history before the posts themselves determine what new scenerios take off. This, of course, is assuming the RP in DM/GM-less, but unless anyone wants to play with stats, a DM isn't really necessary.

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

If anyone out there is planning to start up a RP, I'd be willing to help out with a story idea (though I don't know what sort of access I'll have to a computer with week). I am far too hesitant to try and start my own as I tend to try to tie things down too much by far (I'm more of a story teller then anything else) and wrap things too much around certain characters.

Going out and buying Aasimar and Tieflings, A Guidebook to the Planetouched has really made me want to RP the Tiefling I just rebuilt (Demonic Kiss looks to be a very fun feat to impliment without the D+D mechanics)

[ February 05, 2006, 22:21: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

11. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Dalamer is a Tiefling and Elwithrawl is an Aisamar. I would like to be ( if Scot will make the WW2 RP ) a Russian spy. I think a more realistic RP would be fun.

12. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You see, the thing with my style of RP is there is no central story, you make up your own revolving around your character and it intertwines with everyone elses someway and somehow.

13. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You can check out Dalamar and Elwithral, the opposite duo, the Light and the Dark in the Trademeet RP.

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Well it sounds like I'll be starting up an D+D style RP thread (not Faerun though) around Wednesday or so.

Should be a relatively magic heavy world (no PC psionics though), the people on the world will follow the deities from the Player's Hand book, but the particular make up of this world makes it so the divine casters of gods from other planes can still access them (that's for you guys out there who have a certain god you like). Should have plenty of options for you evil and neutral characters out there, trying to make sure I avoid the NWN complex.

15. deepfae Gems: 7/31

I'm interested (sad its not faerun though). What kind of world/place in the world do you expect this to be?

Will there still be options for good characters?

16. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

the most persay "straight foward" path will be for good characters, as the man who hires/requests aid from the adventurers/mercenaries is from a town dedicated to the NG god Pelar. Shouldn't miss the good path when you're fighting a Balor Lord, his Cambion sons, Nergaz and Orcs. :) (The Balor Lord and his sons are very open about their presence so I'm not giving away the plot)

Most of the non-good alignment paths have to be discovered or present themselves as time goes on.

As for the world, Faydorn, it's heavily agrarian in civilized area, forested wilderness in non-civilized area (50-50 split between wilderness and civilization), however the starting location of said RP will be in a more mountainous and forested area, a bit of a northern european feel geographically, high racial diversity of core races and their sub races (though core sub races that have a +3 level adjustment or higher are very rare and limited from being player races for balance even though there are no mechanics), Sun Elves are more common then Moon Elves in this world (It was the Sun Elf's +2 intelligence modifier that induced civilization in this world after all) making elves on average less likely to interact with human society, though the Moon Elf population is still large enough to have only mimimal impact on the number of half-elves in existance.

Would seem that there is also a high abundance of orcs in this world.

High abundance of monsters and monsterous humaniods (humaniods with a +3 level adjust or higher are very rare in human society and therefore not a player race, though they aren't that uncommon outside of human society, you can't play as a Yuan-Ti Abomination, but you're still likely to encounter one if you wander into wilderness areas) in nonsettled areas

[ February 06, 2006, 04:28: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

17. deepfae Gems: 7/31

So where do I sign up? Seiously though, this sounds like my kind of RP. A few questions though. Are you planning on being the DM/GM, Illmatar's Suffering? What level are we talking about starting the characters as? And is this a world of your own, and if so, are we free to create cities/nations that our characters hail from, or are the characters all going to be pretty local to the starting town?

18. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Sort of DMing as a suggestion from Nakia. I don't want characters starting higher then level 4, the characters are adventurers or mercenaries of average standing, no one of heroic porportions (Nakia's got the credit for this forsight so no one just runs off and kills the bosses right away).

It's a world I've created, but feel free to make up nations (someone has to, I haven't), the adventurers are coming from as far as the call for adventurers made it, your character may even be a planewalker who arrived in this world and decided to hire themselves out, I was thinking myself of making that Tiefling I'll be using a planewalker.

On a side note Aasimar, Tieflings, Jinx, Sansanni, Silvans and other planetouched creatures (though the Silvan isn't truely plane touched) are not uncommon in Faydorn, allowing the Khazerkas to be the one +3 level adjust PC race in the game (however other +3 level adjust planetouched creatures are off limits as they typically fail to exist in human society), as Faydorn is a hot bed for Planar Gateways (making most non-Khazerkas planetouched creatures on Faydorn planewalkers).

19. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Ok one more question: is there an underdark?

20. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

there is at least some subterranian location in which Duergar, Drow and the various other races of Faerun's underdark live, though off the top of my head only the Duergar, Drow and Half-Drow make the playable list. Svirfneblin are not PC playable because of their +3 level adjust and their reluctance to interact with non-Svirfneblin.

Drow, Half-Drow and Duergar may find themselves in an odd position coming to the city in the first place as the city they they are defending is devoted to the Sun God Pelar, not to mention they don't have the best relations with humans. That aside they are still playable however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.