1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Ultimate Evil Person

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have seen many polls and topics posted by people compiling the ultimate "good" or ultimate "evil" party. The only problem is, there's only a handful of truly evil characters in the game. In fact, without add-on mods that give you the ability to take on characters such as Valen and Solefein (sp?), there aren't even enough evil characters to put together a party of six.

The other thing I've noticed is that evil characters are harder to characterize than good characters. As far as "good" aligned characters go, it's pretty simple to make arguements of who is the "most good" of the good. Arguements usually lean towards the righteousness of Keldorn or Mazzy, or the everlasting innocence of Aerie or Imoen.

With evil, it's not so easy - which brings us to the poll question. Who would you rate as the "most evil" of the base NPC's. I'm not including the mods, because it would make it unfair - Valen is a vampire, so yeah, she's pretty evil all things considered.

So we have the bloodthirsty ways of Korgan, the manipulative hatred of drow and others alike by Viconia, the machinations for self-gain by Edwin, and the unending lust for power of Sarevok.

It's really a tough decision for me. While Keldorn and Sarevok are very straight-forward kill you now evil characters, sometimes the more stealthy forms of evil performed by Edwin and Viconia are more insidious, and ultimately more deadly than the swing of an axe or a sword.

That having been said, I vote for Korgan, because his evil ways are ultimately pointless. Sarevok and Edwin are evil with a motive of self-gain. Viconia has a revenge motive. Korgan revels in being evil and would act the way he does even if there was no benefit in it.

So who's your pick, and an explanation of why you voted the way you did would be great too.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
    Voting stops at September 11, 2003 21:44 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll until voting has stopped.

Poll Results: Ultimate Evil Person (52 votes.)

Ultimate Evil Person (Choose 1)
    * Korgan - 58% (30)
    * Viconia - 8% (4)
    * Edwin - 17% (9)
    * Sarevok - 17% (9)

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Korgan is nearly mindless in his violence and evil, which is why I picked him, though it should be said that he DOES have a greedy streak -- He likes money! Viconia and Sarevok are both somewhat redeemable in ToB, so I couldn't vote for them. Edwin is very selfiish, but he does not seem to revel in violence the same way Korgan does, so by process of elimination, like I said, I go with Korgan.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My PC is the ultimate evil person! In the game I'm currently playing, my charname just met and killed Keldorn in the sewers, and then popped back up to the government district to massacre the Firecam household! Lathander Temple wiped out and the Order of Radiant Heart next on my list!

Guess daddy's not around to save his little girls and his old whore anymore. ;)

But seriously: Korgon lives up to the concepts of 'Chaotic Evil' much more so than Sarevok. Edwin is 'amusing' evil, more of a laugh than a threat and I really cannot call Viconia evil at all.

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

If we were talking BG1 Sarevok, he's easily the winner. Starting a war between two countries and slaughtering innocents is a *little bit* beyond the other three. In ToB, though, he seems so... diet evil.

Korgan gets my vote, simply because I think he's the most likely to stick an axe in your back while whistling a happy tune. Edwin comes across (fairly or unfairly) as comic relief most of the time, and Viconia IMHO is not very evil to begin with.

edit: fixed typo

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would say Korgan, because he kills people and commits evil deals for no point other then fun. Edwin seems to be more self-serving than outright evil, and Viconia seems more bitter than evil. The only other character that would compare is Saravok, but you can change him to Chaotic good.

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sarevok, just seems mean, like if he turned against you, you wouldn't be able to stop him. Plus he has the Death Bringer. Korgan's nothing special in my opinion, he just seems like a senile old man, Edwin is to whiney, and Viconia is evil like an ex-girlfriend.

7. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes, but Viconia's evil is corrosive in a way the others' pale attempts can't match. Viconia is a sower of discord. Anyone can wound the flesh, but Viconia wounds the psyche - and in such a devious way that one hardly notices.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's worth the mention that Sarevok states Viconia scares him where hell didn't. That's saying a lot!! I just eliminated both of them because you can change their alignment.
    Edwin wouldn't seem so funny if it weren't for his silly Nether Scroll quest and the funny way he ends up. I have always felt his evil should be taken more seriously given his great power.

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, at the risk of repeating what others have said, Viconia does simply come across as bitter rather than evil, Edwin's self-serving nature doesn't necessarily equate evilness, I haven't played BG1 so Sarevok to me isn't an option but Korgan! The first time I played BG2 I spoke to him and had him join the party but for some unknown reson changed my mind when the person he replaced asked what was up so Korgan went all psycho and I had to kill him.

10. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

of the npcs its korgan, but of them all, its my char.

i let my char slaughter everyone in amn exept ribald, the vampires (so i could go to spellhold from athkatla) and a priest.

i spared ribald and that priest so i could buy and sell stuff and donate money so my reputation was at top. Good and evil way to get more xp it is :) oh, i did slaughter the priest and ribald before i went to suldanesselar :)

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'd have to go for Sarevok on this one. Of all the stuff he did in BG1 just to gain power...
    Besides, Korgan actually has a kind streak somewhere in him. He's very nice to Mazzy...and he's even supposed to change alingment if he spends enough time with her.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm with the few others here who've voted for Sarevok. He has a history far more grand and bloody than that of the other characters. The fact that he is of a purely evil god does have its effects as well. And I can't imagine where they got the Chaotic Evil for him. Indeed Korgan is far more fitting the Chaotic Evil type than Sarevok. If I'd have to give my opinion on the types of evils in all those four characters, I'd say Neutral Evil for Viconia and Edwin, Chaotic Evil for Korgan, and Lawful Evil for Sarevok. Afterall, Lawful Evil would be the most accurrate description of someone willing and able to easily lead a large organized croup of evil villains and creatures to a war.

Sarevok has it all, the cunning of Edwin, the bloodlust of Korgan, the power of a demon, the patience of someone who's real darn patient, the drive of an obsessed madman, and the wisdom to combine all this into perfect harmony. He is the most capable and diverse evil in the entire game.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I went with Korgan.

Viccy isn't really evil, I'd almost put her more as Chaotic Neutral than anything. She doesn't really seek to ruin the lives of others, she's just a bit bitter over the situation that she's been put into.

Sarevok-the definitive embodiment of evil in BG1, but he seems much more repentant in ToB. He regrets his evil ways, not a very evil thing to do methinks.

Edwin-he's a jerk, but doesn't seem to act on his evilness too much. I agree with the above post that neutral evil seems to fit him the best, but he doesn't come across as being as evil as Korgan.

14. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes I'd have to agree with you that it is Korgan.

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I would say that *ultimate evil* is much more than the mindless slaughter that Shura's group practices. I would go with Sarevok who can be evil in so many more ways, make people feel dispair and fear in so many more ways, and still at the end he can leave people dead on the street with an equal amount of pain next to the slaughter field evil Shura suggest as ultimate evil.

Pointless slaughter lacks so many layers of diabolic behaviours. At least I think so. No doubt Korgan is evil, but just not ultimate. Unfortunately Edwin doesn't have the guts to be that super villain Sarevok is, so I am running out of evil genius beeings who live for torment and pain, Except Sarevok. But that is my own opinion only of course. And afterall Sarevok does a very good job at beeing the Lord of destruction throughout the BG saga as an outsmarting doublecrossing machine of mayhem. Korgan can't really live up to that. Although I agree that his violence is pointless, he acts as nothing more than just a tool for more sinister powers.

Note that although you might temporarily sway Sarevok to goodness, he eventually dissapeared in rage if you read the "after ToB" bios on the NPCs. he is a product of evil deities and couldn't stay "good" for long without going insane. That probably goes for Korgan too, but then again. Sarevok has so many more layers blended of dread, subtle wrath and enraged fury.

[ September 07, 2003, 03:33: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

16. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It depends how you define evil, I would say that acting for selfish ends is not really evil, that being said it removes Edwin. Vicona comes across as a slightly pitiful figure who can not accept love from someone if you've played her romance. The only ones that would really count is Korgan and Sarevok. Korgan is insane but Sarevok is much more capable of causing havoc and they're both nuttier than a squirrels picnic.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... I was intrigued by the alignment comments above, and I agree with them. When you look at Sarevok's past, with his attempted manipulation of the Iron Throne and Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate, it's almost the definition of Lawful Evil. Using the government systems and law already in place for personal advancement and acheiving self-benefit. That's almost the exact definition of Lawful Evil.

I also agree that Edwin could just as easily be neutral evil as lawful evil, but the difference is not nearly so glaring as the Sarevok example.

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

@Nobleman:

The way I see it, they were just too lazy to make another ending for the good Sarevok. Sarevok doesn't seem the type to me to make hasty decisions anyway, and that goes for his alignment change as well. In my opinion, as per the last dialogues he has in ToB (I might confuse the official ones with Ascension though), Sarevok would've probably acted in a similar manner as Balthazar did. Trying to redeem himself and act as a force of good.

As for those here who claim Sarevok is a "puss" since he turns to good, think again. Only a very strong individual would have that introspective power and ability to turn for better. Or worse, should the situation be different. At least to me a person who can make such a change has far more personality and own personal power, than someone who just starts off by following a certain path and then never strays from it, as if a slave to destiny.

19. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I played through the last part since my memories are very faint. I played an evil party so the good story might be different from the bio I get from Sarevok?

He led armies to crush others only to dissapear for months and reemerge somewhere else to cause mayhem. Though his soul balancing between life and death he vanished for good. No one knows where. Some say to bury his one true love Tamoke. So nomatter evil or good, he whithers away? I can't figure his personalities out, so I'll leave that to foradashtar.

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Well in this era of bugs and hurried decisions etc, it always comes down to one's opinion in the end, doesn't it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.