1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Ultimate decision

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Baronius, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Since you could only have one game Tutu is not doable since you need both BG1 and BG2.
    Otherwise the choice would be simple :)

2. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Many of my friends tell me that Bg2 is "too long, too repetitive and too hard to finish" and they just love Bg1. Well. I needed 3 attempts to finish Bg1 after playing Bg2. I ended fed up of running through a huge map without finding a single creature or NPC. It takes a party more than two minutes to get from one side of a map to the other, following the road, what for? And why do you have to have towns fogged? what about walking around an enormous map to find two kobolds and five hobgoblins? It takes 5 Cd's to run the whole game simply because you waste hours wandering meaninglessly around. Bg2 hands down, definitely!

Btw, I consider that NWN sucks and the IWD saga is a combat tutorial for BG2.

3. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well thats your take on it, but let me splain something to ya young'en, bg1 was so amazing because the slow increase of mystery and plot, in bg2 they just land you right into it, and secondly bg1 takes work to be able to walk around and kill everything that comes your way, in bg2 you A. level up to fast, and B. get too many good items, there were no where near as many magic items in bg1, which made it way harder than bg2, yet way more fun as well.

4. Etrigone Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's so apples-n-oranges for me, I can't decide. I like the explore/character origin aspect of 1, but the coming-into-your-own aspect in 2 is great too.

Sorry if that bugs y'all; I wish I could peg it better.

Btw, I'm playing BG1 now, with BG1tutu, with the idea of taking the character all the way to the end. For the poster who talked about wishing to see some 2 stuff in 1, this might be a not too bad option. It is a little buggy, but then, it's also kinda cool to see your familiar whomp the bejezus out of some kobolds.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Cadderly, you don't level up an faster in 2 than 1. If anything, you level up more slowly due to the vast gaps between levels.

I agree there are too many magic items in 2. At one point it seemed like even the poor beggars living homeless on the streets would have a magic weapon on them. I'm not even sure why they did this as adding a +1 magic weapon to an NPC doesn't make them much harder to kill.

6. cadderly Gems: 5/31

the level up thing is because you gain too much experience too fast, for learning a spell that you can't use till you can use level 9 spells you get 9k exp, go buy a few lvl5-9 spells and you can easily get 1-2 levels in the begining, and its not that hard to get gold with all the very expensive magic items that you find so early on in the game, not to mention you get good exp just disarming traps and locks, thats what i was talking about, in bg1 you had to be able to kill stuff to get the exp you needed, not just advance in the main quests.

7. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've played both games through several times and I love them both, but BG2 is my favorite. The whole idea of becoming a deity, cool weapons, and well, I just love smashing my enemies with a giant comet. Also, there are more mods for BG2, especially the npc mods. (Currently playing through w/ Kelsey and loving it!)

8. cadderly Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] hate to say it but if their are more mods, then their are more ideas they could have improved upon.............or so is how i look at it.

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

It was very hard to decide, but in the end I think Baldur's Gate is "better" than Baldur's Gate 2.

BG2 has many things going for it: improved graphics and game play for example. I have played BG2 innumerable times and will play it again, but I can't imagine playing BG1 again. Why do I think BG1 is better then?
    Well, the story in BG1 is better and that counts for a lot! BG2 has too many powerful magic items although it can be argued that the high levels call for such items. It still feels a bit Monty Haul'ish to me.
    My final argument is that BG2 builds on BG1, so you have to give much of the credit for how good BG2 is to it's predecessor - Baldur's Gate.

In conclusion: both games are excellent. BG1 is best, but BG2 is the game to play. :D

10. cadderly Gems: 5/31

fine words, however i still think that the main reason i like bg1 besides what ive said before is that its 10X better for soloing, because having a few magic items on your one character makes him or her almost godlike in bg1, unlike bg2 where you can be slaughtered even with pretty good magic items on.

11. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not unless you've cheated and given yourself a couple million in gold you can't. Gaining 2 levels for a mage just leaving Jon's dungeon - assuming you've just hit level 8 - would mean 160000 XP. How many 5-9th level spells are you going to be able to buy with the gold you've got at that stage? One. Maybe two if you're lucky. Maybe even three if you sell everything else you've got and mug a few passersby for their hard-earned cash. Which is going to net you 15000 XP. Not enough to move even a solo mage up a single level, let alone 2 levels. Never mind if that mage was in a party...

Gaining XP from spells is handy certainly but unless you've got the ability to scribe your own scrolls (which you won't get in SOA) you'll never amass enough gold to make buying spells just for their XP bonus worthwhile.

12. cadderly Gems: 5/31

do not patronize my idiotic freind, sorry let a newbie freind of bg2 use my name on this forum, but anyways, yah yah he was an idiot, but ive already hit him in the back of his skull, and he is currently recouperating.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Last time I played BG1, I got so pissed at the dumb AI that I almost threw the CD out of my window. Almost. I promptly sold it after that. :p

14. Edwin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I would definetly choose BGI

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.