1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Ultimate decision

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Baronius, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Echon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

2. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Bleh, graphics always matter!! If the grahpics give me a headache, with 400X680..., (why not just play diablo????), I'd rather not play :p

3. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ok, A. omni godly you obviously do not play any older classic games, like black and white, stuff like that, B. Bg1 had plot level in abundance, and Bg2 was nothing in comparison to the ultimate experience of finding out that you are the offspring of the god of murder!

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Maybe it depends to some degree which game you play first. I played BG2 first then BG1 about a year later and while I really enjoyed BG1, it didn't have the same kind of effect on me that the second game did. The discovery that you're the child of a dead God lost the majority of its impact for me because I'd already played the second game and knew it all.

5. cadderly Gems: 5/31

Yes david w, thats precisely what im saying, playing the second game first gives you in depth details about the first, thereby you lost most of the good surprises.

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

For me, it's currently BG2. However, the advantages of BG2 are slowly being eroded by BG1 mods such as the BG1 NPC Project, Echon's Fields of the Dead, and Tutu.

7. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What I judge RPGs by is the plot and that says it all. BG1 is unbeatable in this respect. I admit though that BG1 was my first RPG and that of course had to affected my decision somehow. ;)

8. cadderly Gems: 5/31

yes first rpgs do have that effect, however, if you play a bad first rpg, then its really not the same effect, so essentially this tells you that Bg1 IS in fact a good game.

9. david w Gems: 19/31

I have to admit, Tutu has made a hell of a difference to playing BG1. A lot of the things I used to dislike about it - only being able to restore 1 HP when resting, the game not pausing on the inventory screen, the resolution set too low - have all been fixed by this pretty amazing mod.

Now all it needs is some decent banters between party members, more quests, forgable magic items (as with Cromwell and Cespenar), a few cut scenes setting up Sarevok better and it might well start giving BG2 a run for its money.

10. Aces Gems: 19/31

I'll have to go with the original BG! :thumb:

11. cadderly Gems: 5/31

well i kind of like the fact that sarevok was way more mysterious in the first BG, but thats my personal opinion.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No doubt, BG II is a way better game. IMHO, BG I was a very average game - not bad, but should have been much better. Three reasons: The dungeons were awesome in BGII (except the very first one), the party interaction was way more interesting, and the gameplay was better thought out. As an example, many of the levels that did not need to be were not blacked in BGII. In BGI I found myself wandering around in huge blacked-out screens were there was - nothing. Another nice addition was the strongholds, which added a lot more to the game. Besides, the party members had a lot more personality in BGII than in the first one.

13. cadderly Gems: 5/31

The first one was all about mystery, thats why you had to explore, their was no instant gratification, it was earned dammit, problem with young people today, besides the fact that im 17, YOU ALL WANT THAT INSTANT GRATIFICATION, btw any girls in this forum i go all night ;)

BACK TO THE STORY AT HAND! the first one was also 10X better to solo a character with, because you actually started as some rookie who could barely hold up against 2 gibberlings, and rose to power slowly and showed how great of a player you truly were!

14. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

As I said before, it really depends on which one you played first. People who've played BGII first really can't go back to BGI. It's impossible, you've grown way too used to the better interface, the better graphics, the bigger and better dungeons, and the kick-ass enemies. (Dragons!! :eek: )

On the other hand, if you've played BGI first, you probably fell in love with its mistery, its great story, its "starting off at ridiculously low-levels" (Personally, I liked that about it very much.) I think it's not much use arguing about which one is best, because I really think it depends on order in which you've played them.

15. david w Gems: 19/31

I played BG2 first and then played BG1 about a year after and while I think the second game was the better one, the first was still an amazing game in its own right.

Often, combat was better in BG1. More edge-of-your-seat. In BG2 you start at a level whereby you have access to some pretty decent spells, and like someone said elsewhere in this thread you get so many magic weapons thrown at you so early in the game that your abilities are actually well beyond what they would normally be for someone of your level. A lot of the fights in the early part of BG1 could end with a single wrong move - mistiming an arrowshot at a bear left my 3rd level fighter dead - something which seldom happened in BG2.

16. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

BG2 is better because it is bigger, more spells, monsters ect... but im soon getting neverwinter nights and expansions, and icewindale 2 and i will see how they compare....... we will see :thumb:

17. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

bg2 is the better, nwn sucks and icwd\icwd2 sucks. they just doesnt have that good story, cool dialogues and all.

18. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

well thanks death wisper for the advice on nvw and icewd2 i might reconsider spending my money on them :thumb:

19. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"If you had to choose"
    Good thing I dont, since there is no way I could settle with only one of them.
    Sure, BG2 is bigger and has more items. But it doesn´t give me the same feeling as BG1.
    When I think about it, this is probably the only choice I couldn´t make.

Btw, NWN is a waste of good money.
    IWD2 though is a pretty good game, I´d buy this one.

20. david w Gems: 19/31

Install BGtutu and it's like playing one big game.

Agree about NWN. Boring. IWD2 is okay but don't expect the kind of replay value and storyline that you get in BG.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.