1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The SP Order of Ancientness

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Harbourboy, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sniper, I've only visited a couple of Retiree Homes and didn't even see a computer:nolike: Until they get PC's they will have to put me in a straight jacket and sedate me to get me there. Probably have to keep me in a padded cell. By the way I do play scrable when I visit a relative who :rolleyes: does not have a computer.

2. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have to agree with Nakia on computers in retirement homes. I have visited many people in such places and have yet to see anyone with a computer or even a computer in the so called recreation areas that anyone could use.

Most places I have visited seem to be more set up like a hospital than an actual place to live. I've always wondered if the people who lived there were limited on what they could bring with them when they move into the place

Then again it could be that most retired people or older people living there at the moment were not part of the computer generation. Still, you would think places like Veterans Homes in the U.S. would at least have a computer someplace other than at the front desk. Who knows, maybe the times they are a changing.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I know people in their 80's who have computers and use them. Usually the computer was given by a child or grandchild. I think the Homes are just behind the times. Computers can help keep people mentally active and in touch with the world around them. They also feed my ego because I can go around helping these people with their PC's and look smart.

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

26 here (and going down real fast).

My parents are both still in their 50's and it took me years to convince my mother to start learning how to use a computer. After she did her first course, she loved it and enroled in many more. Now, my dad... that's a hard nut to crack.
    I'd love to interest them in using the thing, because chatting or using netmeeting is way cheaper than phoning them to Spain every week! :nolike:

5. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To follow up on my previous post, being the curious person that I am, I called four facilities this morning to see what their views on residents having computers. First two were in West Virginia, the second two were across the river in Ohio.

1. We would love to have a computer for our residents but current financial strains have limited what we can purchase for our residents
    2. Nobody has ever asked that question before I will have to ask a supervisor...can you call back tomorrow.
    3. We are not set up to have computers in the rooms. Our rooms dont have individual phone lines to accomidate internet service.
    4. Finally, Brenda (the recreational director) said and I quote "I discourage any activity here that is not a group activity. The last thing my residents need is to sit all day in front of a computer at their advanced age and not be physically active. Therefore I do not allow residents to have activities that would keep them in their room and not an active member of our community"

Thanks Brenda, hope your gone when i get there.

6. Nakia

Media:
    4) If I meet Brenda or her ilk I'll use sneak-attack without any compunction. I guess sitting in front of a TV in the common room is okay because it is a group activity. That's the only thing I've seen the residents do except sit in the halls staring at the walls. Another group activity? Retirement Homes are for those waiting for death - IMO.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Obviously, it has never occurred to Brenda to maybe put some computers in a common area, set up an small LAN, and let people play multi-player with each other. I don't know that a lot of seniors would be interested in this (at least initially), but from what Nakia says about knowing many senior who play games, I'm sure there would be some takers.

8. Nakia

Media:
    Unfortunately "retiree Homes" don't want thinking people. There are probably exceptions but I haven't come across them. Yes, I know people who would love your idea, Splunge. Maybe not D&D RPG but there are RTS/City building games that have MP capability. Splunge, by the time you & I get there maybe these places will have caught up with the 21st Century. If not we'll make 'em suffer! :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.