1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Olympics - how many players should the EU get?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Thank you everyone.

The point of this little exercise was to see if Europeans see the United States as a nebular "state" rather than what it is - 50 individual states. It is evidently so.

Of course, this is also how many Americans view Europe. This however, is a different thread.

Thanks again.

P.S. If a "union", of any sorts, elects officials nationally and this vote is inter-state, then the union is not a federalism.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think you have misunderstood something here, I think most Europeans consider USA to be 50 individual states but not 50 individual nations, and there is a huge difference between a state and a nation.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Huh ? Well, that phrasing is a little bit cryptic to me, but are you implying, Europeans don't understand the concept of a federation ? Well after that blunder with confusing a canton with a district or a province, I am not so sure, if you just had a misconception that Europeans wouldn't get that concept and read that into the replies you've got to a quite different topic.

On the other hand, I still think that the US is de facto more like a federal republic with a pretty strong central goverment like Germany, and not a federation with a lot of actual individual state rights, i.e. cantons, even if traditional terminology is still upheld in this way.

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I find this topic to be a little silly, but I need to throw my 2 cents in here.

I live in the Free and Independent Republic of Horry, which is located inside the great state of South Carolina. Up until 1865 the United States of America was THE United States of America. In other words it was a collection of independent countries. The US civil war (or war of northern agression as it is called here) changed the political make up of the country into what it is today.....1 country.

5. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I too think this thread is silly, but it also has made me think about how valid the Olympics are now. Instead of hijacking this thread, I will create another one if i have time.

I think Blackhawk's last statement was a cowerdly attempt of making this thread die.

6. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] I also posted this thread on another website where the membership is overwhelming - if not completely - American.

The reaction on that thread was also pretty much as expected - for that demographic.

I expected the arguments for the other website to basically fall into two major categories.

• The pro-side would stress the federal aspect of the Constitution and that the U.S. was underrespented in many world theaters.
    • The negative side on this issue would stress that the U.S. needs to be able to pull from a larger gene pool if victory is to be obtained.
    • I didn't see the "Give Europe only one" argument. I expected at least one.
    On this thread:

• The Pro-side was not really expected to be seen.
    • The Anti-side was expected to be either 1) outraged at the idea or 2) of the opinion that the idea is ludicrus. The latter was predominant.
    As far as "cowardly" goes - don't be naive. Do you think every question, topic or point is direct? Most people on this website and this forum say things that are not always their opinion.

Do you think Ragusa, for instance, posts everything thinking he is going to convince people? No. He's watching people's reactions.

This is a Internet forum. Never assume it is anything else. Nothing we say or do here matters and will not affect the world in any way, shape or form. We come here as a diversion - perhaps due to boredom, perhaps due procrastination. We come here to provoke, watch, argue, and lie.

Its how the world works. Sad, true, but humanity is humanity.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    People such as John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Geroge Washington and Alexander Hamilton would have been very surprised to hear that.

I am reminded by the words of George Washington, when he asked for a committee to wait for him as he put his spectacles on while attempting to read a document, "Please wait a moment gentlemen, I had only one set of eyes to give to my country." No one had more right to make that statement than he did, even though he was from Virginia. It's really a shame that there are some who still fail to understand the meaning of America as a country of states.

We may all be mere shadows walking in their footsteps, but in such matters I consider myself to be an American first before anything else; that I reside in Texas is always secondary to being an American. Like Washington and Adams were, I am glad to be one.

[ February 16, 2004, 08:19: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just as I return and what do I see? Personal stuff flying around in the Alley. *sigh*

Confine comments to the subject of the thread itself please. If anybody has something to say to somebody else specifically, use PM.

9. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

To draw such a grand conclusion from a simple question makes me think that either: you are naive (I assume you aren't) or you are trying to change the subject by picking a fight. But this...

...make it seem that you are trying to back out of a losing argument. So you must be a coward (or a wise man, if you believe we are all fools.)

Sorry Beren, I tend to think to much and I don't always write what I think for it would be an awful long (and hard) post to read. This is what I might have written if I had thought that this thread wasn't dead.

This question is silly because the EU is not united like the US. Their union establishes the basics, which might lead to one country in the future. But for now it is just a connivance thing with other added bonuses thrown in. Like the UN it does not have any real power (unlike the US federal government). They are not a country. (Look up the definition of country for more information.)

I saw the movie 'Miracle' a week ago, and when the US scored it gave me goose bumps. Do you think a typical European would have the same reaction? Hell No! Your question is the same as asking 'If the US and Europe decided to accept an accord that would give us one currency with a few added benefits, should they be forced to send one representative or should they each be allowed to send someone?' I for one do not want to be represented by a #^*$^@$% <insert appropriate country> person.

[edit] The off topic part that I did not explain: This topic has made me think about how valid the olympic's are now with the franchising of major team sports and how the team that the US sends is just an all-star team and not a real team. As in we do not get behind a US team as much as if they were the Red Wings (which contains many nationalities).[/edit]

[ February 16, 2004, 00:47: Message edited by: Nameless One ]

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG]
    If you inspect the thread closely you will realize that I did not take a stance on this issue. I stress the nature of federalism, but not whether each member should have representation.

In fact, I am of the camp that supports one set for the U.S. However, my opinion was not implied.

There is no argument to win or lose. I'm sorry.

If it is your need to have a last word, then it shall be yours.

[ February 16, 2004, 10:32: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

11. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Silly question. None of the States have currently seceded from the Union, and the EU consists of independent countries.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.