1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The evil that is WalMart.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Same happens here, and is in all kind of busines, like Zara, Burberry, etc.; I work in a Burberry's brand and I see everyday how it works, we have 6 stores in 200 mts (one for boys, one for girls, one for woman, and so on) and there are also another stores around but you can see always 10 customers at Burberrys and sometimes 1 or 2 on the others.
    Same is happening with El Corte Ingles, a mega store which started selling clothes as competition with Zara and Burberry and now is a mega store that sells from fruits to trips to the Caribean. Now opened another hiper-mega-store, adding stuff like the one Ikea sells. So, you think Ikea is going down? I think no, because almost every people bought something on Ikea and seems that they like so they will keep buying there.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I also forgot to mention this...

Here in UT, USA, Wal-Mart is synonymous with 'white-trash'. :doh: Why? Just enter one and you'll see them. There’s the fat dude wearing overalls without a shirt, or the skinny lady not wearing a bra, but wearing ripped, thrift store clothes. The list goes on and on, but those are two examples.

Also, almost all Wal-Marts here have a McDonalds inside them...which makes 2 evil companies under the same roof. :mommy: :rolling:

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I have a Sam's Club card, and will shop there from time to time.

I mostly use them for processing my digital pictures.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

They have a friggin' monopoly on the 'stuff-for-cheap', and it is greedy companies like this that ruin small buisnesses. It should be split up to prevent them from having a monopoly, but should not be abolished, because that would put tons of people (it employs the most (or second most) employees in the world) out of work, but it should be restricted.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

They are powerful because of their business model. They have huge stores, thus spreading fixed costs out over more products. They don't have comissioned staff, so wages are kept down. The stores are laid out efficiently so you can find what you are looking for. Mind you they don't have every movie so people will still go to places like Cinema 1, or ever videogame, so EB stays in business. They don't have much of a selection of books, so book stores are safe. They cater to the mainstream, so if you want something off the beaten path, then you still need to look elsewhere. But if it's mainstream stuff you want, they're probably cheapest...

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Wal-Mart made its money by giving the masses what they want. They are not some evil corporation ruthlessly forcing the "helpless small businesses" into bankruptcy. In fact, the employees at Wal-Mart generally earn more money than they did at the small stores and prices are lower.

With that said, like pretty much everyone else here, I won't shop at Wal-Mart. The products that they sell are almost always the lowest quality things available. Even in the cases of name-brands, it is generally the lowest quality of each brand. When it comes to things such as electronics, auto supplies, and so on, Wal-Mart will not carry the best brands but will instead carry the low performance, low priced brands.

The food products in their superstores are substandard. Put anything that you buy there into your refrigerator for more than a day or two and it will be ruined.

Heh. That one is true and pretty much stopped me from going anywhere near one of their stores.

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Jim Cramer equates Wal-Mart to the old Soviet stores.

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Jim Cramer probably never saw any of the old Soviet stores :) .

Walmart is quite useful for a certain segment of the population. That is, those who make average wage, or less (the average wage is about $24,000, in US, I think). It's all well and good to say shop at speciality store and pay higher price when you have spare income, but otherwise...

Also, it is convenient to get most of stuff you need in the same place, and moreover, in places I've been, most of these stores are accesible by public transportation. Which does not matter if you have a car, but, contrary to public opinion, not everybody in US has one (at all times, anyhow).

If I had a choice, I would not buy food from there, though :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.