1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Controversial Imoen Romance Mod...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Isn't it obvious? Telling what happens would be to spoil the mod for those who've not tried it yet. But all there really is to it is an opportunity to romance Imoen, with either sex (yes, unlike with the original 4 romanceable characters, Imoen romance mod doesn't assume you to be of any sex and will treat you as whichever sex the charname turns out to be). It has a few nice little songs to it, and some additional invented history among other things between the charname and Imoen. The only thing wrong with it really is that the dialogue is too, how should I put it, childish. Suspension of disbelief works as usual, but without it there's not much to enjoy. She does blabber a whole lot (though I could go with much more), but mainly how she blabbers is the problem. Imoen wasn't a manic-depressive yadda-yadda before, in the mod she becomes one.

It was worth the try for me at least. I liked it, even though Tashia and Valen mod are of better literal quality.

2. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think that it's just a game, I guess nobody would romance his sister in the real life.
    This sounds like the controversy that violent movies/games make violent people, that sucks, I think anyone has the ability to see what's right or wrong.
    About the mod, I think some dreams are too long.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You'd be surprised :rolleyes:

Half-sister, step sister.

In Middle Ages paying belated tithes would bring you more trouble than premarital sex. You would also certainly find people who would extend this to your soul's trouble.

Not really. Until 1215 it was forbidden to marry up to six generations from common ancestor, hehe. Then they changed that to three generations. Incest was regarded as so grave a crime that even the people born from incestous intercourse (one Pope included) felt guilt and the need to repent.

Today you can even marry your aunt, uncle, cousin of any degree etc etc under most laws. Under Roman Catholic Canon Law they'll never let you get away with aunts or uncles, but you could talk them into even the closest of cousins (common grandparent(s)) in special cases.

So I bet Middle Ages were a bit stricter ;)

====

But to actually say something not off-topic:

The truly moral part of the decision is how you estimate the bond between you (charname) and Imoen and what you do with it. There are various questions you could ask yourself. There are many questions to ask, like if it's allowed (for those who care), if it's a good thing, to what extent she's a sister, how important special circumstances are, if you would frown on such a romance in similar circumstances but not involving yourself, or ultimately: if you would still romance her even if you frowned on the idea.

I can honestly say I would never romance my biological sister, even a half-sister, but I would have to live through it to tell whether I would romance her if there would be no biological relation but she were a sister. Generally no moral problems of the metaphysical sort, but I don't know how I would feel about it.

Another thing is that until her rescue in mid SoA (correct me if I'm wrong) she's to the same great but limited extent your sister as a sandbox friend can be. As I have already said, even a childhood love seems likely.

Last but not least, the Taint is removed if you stay mortal and she drops the Taint anyway. If Bhaal's parentage wasn't biological or, more correctly, didn't involve any direct DNA transfer the normal way (DNA similarity if existent could be just Bhaal's artificial intervention), then you're not related at all. It's possible if Bhaal only prolongs his little soldier when necessary, like with dragons ;) :p

[ June 10, 2003, 19:12: Message edited by: chevalier ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.