1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Test Your Mathematical IQ, Profesionally

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Nobleman, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Baezlebub -> As long as your Danish is not too bad, you have no problem understanding what is said about your test score.

:shame:

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Hi again
    Before everything gets out of hand with that word "spredning".

First off, its called dispersion in english, my bad. Sorry. Anyway you can never really calculate dispersion wrong. The only thing that number means is how concentrated around the average, the poll participants are. Which is entirely a subjective opinion.

Examples;
    For example if we think that every person is around average we would calculate dispersion with a low number like 6 or 7. If we on the other hand think that the poll participants are very different from the average persons for some reason we would use a higher dispersion number like 24 to reflect that, and hence get poll participants scattered more on the IQ graph.

A less "wordly explanation".
    You can say that the more dispersion you have, the more you hammer on the top of the graph, spreading everyone from the average blob out on whole x-axis.

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmm... that wasn't as mathematical as I first thought. More like logical, anyways...

I'm with the (current) majority of voters here.

I think the spreading thing is similar to "standard deviation", for those with knowledge in statisics.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

yes, I used standard diviation a few posts up but my dictionary said the statistic term was dispersion. Nomatter what name, it is just a cosmetic haggle, the explanation I gave above fits like a glove.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I came in at 137, although I must admit to guessing on the last 6 because I had a meeting that came a little earlier than expected. Oh well, they looked tough anyway, so who knows how many I would have gotten right (or wrong).

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

He, he, he, Funny test. 87. :eek: Guess I won't make it into Mensa. :(

Snobs. :D

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have just received a 126, which proves the test to be wrong :D

Frankly, it's the lowest score I've ever got. I always get like 145-146 or Mensa levels. Perhaps it's some scale thing, but AFAIK the differences aren't that big. Next test, please :D

And yes, I don't need anyone to tell me that maths isn't exactly my area.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

woo woo...i got 132

i was in special classes for the "gifted" as a child but then i grew up...boy what a mistake

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Sorry, Chevalier. I guess your luck is out. :1eye:
    And the test isn't only mathematical, its based heavily on sense of logic and pattern recognition and data processing like filtering out irrelevant data in your mind. All very helpfull tools in your everyday life. But I guess that didn't help your selfconfidence. :D But like any tool, they won't get the job done themselves. Hence succesfull life is not granted. and vice versa successfull lives can be lived without them. This cannot be said enough.

Anyway 126 with standard diviation 16 is good. You can honestly say to everyone you meet that you are smarter than them in the above terms, cause there is a fat chance they are statistically below your magnificent mind.

10. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

that's right chev...even the LNT beat you...umm...can you try not to drool so much? ;)

Reminds me of a line from the Simpsons..."Great, even Milhouse is scoring off me now!"

...and did *anyone* get that last one with the red, blue and green squares on the grid? the only thing I could come up with was possibly the blue one following the red one and the greens filling it out...but that didn't seem to be the case...now excuse me...i only have about three brain cells left and they are argueing heavily

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Please, spare me this sarcasm, both of you. My mind is no more magnificent than any other mind and I'm not as self-confident as I would like to be. I just think something is wrong about the test because the difference in comparison to other, also from Mensa, tests is so big, OK? I also see that some other people's IQ must have fallen rapidly. It's better to know that you're stupid than to think you're a genius. It has so far produced quite a few surprising scores, so that's why I'm babbling.

[ June 12, 2003, 03:39: Message edited by: chevalier ]

12. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

awww chev *pinches cheek* it's just a wee little test...it doesn't mean anything...now clean my armor SQUIRE

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG]
    OMG :hahaerr:

Chev, I wasn't sarcastic. 126 is very good. And I meant what I wrote. Anyway, it has been said before, many many tests claim to measure "g" which is the foundation of the IQ scale we know today. Most of them fail miserably. Tons of them don't even know what they are measuring and in what context. Many of them fail deliberately to score some cheap points on your account for some product advancement or anything else. Now this one *is* a correct test. You can of course make your own system called CQ or LMAO and set your score to 145. or 2454 for all that matter. :)

PS: Please don't post ANY answers to ANY of the questions here. You'll figure it out later tonight if you really want to. You are the Late Night Thinker aren't you? Anyway if it is the one I think you are having trouble with, bear in mind that Superman can be a square too. :D

EDIT: Ahh. Doh. Just clicked through it to see which one you meant. I have PM-iled the answer, which I am pretty sure is correct.

[ June 12, 2003, 02:48: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    139, thats AFAIK one weeee little point below gifted, ah heck it just a weeee little test, right?

oh and SIlverblade, :lol:

[ June 13, 2003, 09:04: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    As I said above,

16. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I finally got some time to try this out and I think there may be a problem with the site. Here's what the page said...

Now, I don't read that language, but I'm guessing that it says to inform the webmaster that there is a problem. :(

17. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

18. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This is the message I get after pressing start on that site.

Didn't want to do it anyway, see if I care, stuff your bloody test and your, your, (What else do Danes have?), well anyway stuff it.

*Bluin has a sulk and then goes to find a site that doesn't allow Danish people in.*

*Just kidding :rolleyes: *

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

20. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Um... you all know that there aint any point in revealing your score if you just "guessed" at half of the questions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.