1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: TCG: Magic The Gathering

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lycrius, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Pah, all you need is AIM and integrity. Well, and a deck and skill.

I loved Mercadian Masques and all the Urza's blocks, but I didn't get a lot of them before they became very rare (and consequently, expensive).

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Well, I had my first run from Fallen Empires to Weatherlight, my second run from Judgement to Legions, and my most recent run from Saviours of Kamigawa to Dissention. If I had access to a steady group, I'd still be buying cards to keep up with it. I found the changing environment a constant challenge.

3. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I mostly use Boros Legion (red/white) but now since the 2/2 power troop waves are not enough to bring down biggest enemies I first build Dimir (blue/black) deck and it worked better than ever (but lags power against other black decks). The current deck I have is of course the all mighty Selesnia Conclave. Haven't played with it yet but considering the powerfull creatures with ability to pay them with other creatures on game gives hope. With little adjustment we'll see if it beats house dimir.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I bought a few decks back when I was a kid and they first came out. I never learned how to play though, I just liked looking at the art and reading the quotes and descriptions hehe.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I played Magic my senior and Junior years in high school, 1995 and 1996. I was one of the lucky few to have a first edition black lotus and a few other very rare cards. My friends and I took the game seriously; after 96 I sold my decks as I lived in a small town and all of my friends went away to college. I did play in a few tournaments and always ended up in the top three. My local card shop was surprised the day I stopped in and ask "how much" for my mint black lotus.

6. Lycrius Gems: 2/31

Didn't they make redo for the black lotus with some restriction like it couldn't be used at the first turn or something.

7. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I don't think so. I think its only restricted, so only one per deck.

And wow, a mint black lotus. Must cost a fortune now.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I just found out one of my best friend plays... so we played a couple rounds today. I brought some decks that don't go well together, though, so it was interesting.

9. Gnarfflinger

In Mirage, they made a card that was like a Lotus called a Lion's Eye Diamond. When you drew the mana out of it, you had to discard your hand. I've still seen it abused though...

10. Lycrius Gems: 2/31

That must have been it. Though everyone must agree that the original black lotus still beats the heck out on starting hands =D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I used to play mtg frequently - haven't done so in years though. I did it back when I was in college, and I guess I have since grown out of it.

12. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I played MTG when it was a school fad and everyone was doing it. Unfortunately, I was a subpar tactician ("hey, I'll mix white and black because it sounds cool!" NO.) and people started bending or ignoring the rules so they could do ridiculous card combos. I think my favorite was someone discarding a creature from their hand and then using it's regeneration to get it out of the graveyard so he didn't have to pay the full summoning cost. I told him regeneration doesn't work that way, and he argued with me for a while before saying "well this is how I play it!".

Needless to say, I gave up shortly after that. And not just because I'm awful at it. :I I'd kind of like to get back into it, but I'd feel a bit pathetic playing what is essentially seen as a children's/ man-child's card game. I suppose I'll just have to stick with Arkham Horror.

13. Gnarfflinger

Discard + animate tricks are already easy enough to manipulate. No need to bend the rules...

14. Lycrius Gems: 2/31

I personally don't have any animate dead cards anly raise dead so no use for discarding and then taking it back to my hand. But one of my friends keeps using those cards, and the worst thing is that he uses them on creatures that allow him to pick one creature from graveyard and put it in play EACH frigging turn. Thats why I love Dimir cards, they don't give the opponent a change to use his cards before they are "one way or another" history.

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I play a little when I get the chance, as well as a bit using the online version.

There are some powerul ones, but there are also a fair few powerful older ones. Just look at Ancestoral Recall, for example. The modern equivalent costs two generic and one blue more to play- for exactly the same effect.

Oh yes. Urza's Saga became infamous for its power.

16. Gnarfflinger

One thing I like is the fact that they keep coming up with new things for players to try.

I Love the Dimir cards, especially Glimpse of the Unthinkable. Knocking out 10 cards for 2 mana kicks ass. Pair that with Replicate (Izzet Guildmage, Djinn Illuminatus) and it's lights out.

I'm the guy that likes to build all kinds of decks to see if certain tricks are as cool as they seem. Still thinking of ways to abuse Doubling season even though it leaves Standard this fall...

17. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

IIRC it's called Lotus Bloom. It has suspend, new mechanic that basically says the spell only is really played some turns after you initially payed the cost. In the case of Lotus Bloom it's only really played after 3 turns after you pay the cost, which is 0 like the original Black Lotus. After that, once it's entered the game, it acts exactly the same as Black Lotus.

One word: graft. All your graft guys come into play at double their size. Same for the Spikes. And it pairs nicely with Fungal Behemoth and Mindless Automaton. The only difficulty is that doubling season has a higher mana cost than any of your creatures, meaning you most likely will only be able to play it once your creatures are already on the board, but even then, it is rather good, since everytime you move the counters, you get to double them.

You can also try to combine it with Vanish creatures. They will stay double amount of turns in play than normal.

18. Gnarfflinger

I've got two doubling season's in a spike deck. It works quite well. Looking for for as many ways to abuse it as I can. Graft and saprolings are also nice.

My Cousin runs Soul Warden and Darien, King of Kjeldor. He wants some Doubling Seasons for the deck...

19. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I just remembered that the doubling seasons also work marvelously with Thallids. They double the counters that are put on them, and you get double saprolings whenever you remove those spore counters to make a saproling. So it doubles doubly. And isn't that what doubling season is about? And with the new thallid from future sight, combined with only one doubling season already produces two saprolings per thallid per (your) turn. Each additional doubling season multiplies this by four.

20. Gnarfflinger

Yeah. I was looking into a Black Green deck. Rotlung Reanimator, Cabal Archon, Shepherd of Rot and a way to bring the sucker back (Lord of the Undead or Unholy Grotto maybe).

For additional abuse, Golgari Germination and Gravepact. Maybe even a Krovikan Horror for added punch and a Vengeful dead to make me the target in a Multiplayer game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.