1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Sports forum?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Or perhaps "Battle Squares" would work as a forum title...

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I would say make a "Sports and Recreational Activity" forum that encompasses not only the professionally played sports but also those played in our backyard. Practically anything done for fun that does not invole dice or mice.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yes Shrikant has a point. Also it may encourage people to discuss sports they practice themselves. Beside spamming of course.

4. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Well, I just made it a 50/50 split at 18 each. Bet that helps a lot, eh Tal? :lol: ;)

One question, if you decide that it isn't working well could you roll them back together?

If so I say go for it, of not, perhaps some further thought is needed.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sure, it helps... because there's an inherent percentage of people who always vote "no" when the topic of changing anything comes up. So 50% is way more than a fair majority in this case.

Yea, we could always merge the forums back, but there's never been a need to do so thus far yet, and I don't think there will be in this case.

As for the forum not only encompassing professional sports, that goes without saying. There'll be more than enough room for discussions on all sorts of recreational activities.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or the "The Fields of Slaughter"?

Or something to do with an arena?

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Ooh, how about "The Coliseum"? :grin:

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Voted yes.

I've already got a nice topic inside my head.

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Honestly? I think Whatnots is pretty d*mn empty compared to what it used to be. And it's really handy to just have all the lighter topics gathered in one forum. Whatnots was where the fun was at. There was always something that could catch your interest: quizzes, sports threads, relationship threads...it's losing it's silly random character. I supported most of the other Whatnots subdivisions (the Alleys were obviously necessary),but well, I'm just not convinced. :)

And just for the record: I don't have anything against sports. ;)

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Oooo! I tied the vote! 20/20!

All for a sports forum. A nice simple way to check the sporty things when I'm feeling in a sport-reading-sorta-mood.

11. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Meh, I don't think it's necessary.
    The current sports thread are neither overwhelming nor disrupting the current Whatnots.

It probably wouldn't be an all-bad thing, but I think it'd be rather pointless

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

A sports forum would be good. I voted Yes.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

And so The Colosseum came to be ... and Tal took my naming suggestion! :banana:

Does this mean we can't Random Babble about sports anymore, though? :cry:
    :idea: Maybe we could have Random Sports Babbling. :hmm:

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Hurray for the Dragon! Hurray for the Sports! Hurray! :banana: :banana:

Edit: There are you happy Olimikrig? :lol:

[ October 10, 2005, 01:57: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Although I did not vote for it, I certainly don't object to one for those who would like to see a sports forum here on SP. There are a few serious issues facing sports these days, including the criminal element, drugs (of all kinds), over paid athletes, illegal gambling, etc - essentially a haven for organized crime...but some see that there are some benefits to sports.

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Oh for the love of ...
    @ Chandos: Its The Colosseum not the AoDA. Please keep drugs out of it. :rolleyes:

Hurray for the opening of The Colosseum. :banana: And the first Gladiators are Barmy and Harbs :p

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Like pretty much all of the subdivisions so far, I find it unnecessary. But oh well.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's a topic that merits some attention by those who care about sports. But judging by your reaction, this may be correct:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1208/p08s02-comv.html

If you would like we can continue this debate in either AODA or the sports forum. Either would be fine...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] No, not either... Only AoDA. If there are any serious debates about drug abuse in sports in general, for example, they're better off in AoDA, so that we keep all the more serious stuff there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.