1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Selling your life juices...(Blood)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Hardly the best blood to donate... Rare yes (only 3% of world population) but the worst blood to donate.

Since AB can receive blood from both 0 A and B
    And Since AB have both A and B antigens then both Bloodtype A (with B anti-bodies in the blood plasma) and B (with A-antibodies in the blood plasma) will reject blood from AB.

To sum it up you have the worst blood type for donation. AB people have no antibodies in their plasma (universal reciever). AB red blood cells have all Antigens (worst Donator)

EDIT:

Here is who can recieve what.

Bloodtype A (red Bloodcells with A-antigens on cellsurface, hence B antibodies in the blood to kill off any B-antigens entering the organism)

Bloodtype B (red Bloodcells with B-antigens on cellsurface, hence A antibodies in the blood plasma to kill off any A-antigens entering the organism)

Bloodtype AB (red Bloodcells with A-antigens and B antigens on cellsurface, hence no antibodies in blood plasma (wouldn't want to kill your own blood))

Bloodtype 0 (red bloodcells with no antigens on surface but carries A and B antibodies in the blood plasma to kill off any A and B antigens and therefore naturally AB red bloodcells too.

Likewise Rhesus is another antigen on the bloodcell surface (like A and B antigens). (Rh+ has the antigen and Rh- doesn't) The reasoning behind figuring out donation is the same as above.

Hope it wasn't to wordy an explanation. heh

EDIT 2: Woooooooops. Sorry Kitrax somehow read your bloodtype as my own Rh+. If yours is AB- Then matters change quite a bit since the lack of the Rhesus antigen is rare, still you can recieve blood from anyone without the Rh antigen on their bloodcells. just for a mentioning the 0- is the worst bloodtype to have if in an accident (7%) because 0- has no antigens on the surface and hence has all Antibodies in the blood.

Confusing? just remember the more antigens on the cellsurface, like AB+, the less antibodies in the plasma to kill intruders, since the body shouldn't kill its own blood cells.

[ February 05, 2004, 16:41: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

2. Redemtion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I dont believe in blood donations for two reasons:

1) Its not at all heroic, in my mind, to take a piece of yourself, your own lifeforce and sell it away like *please excuse me* a whore who sells her body away....its like taking your heart and giving it to someone else for money. If someone needs blood to live i would not give it to them , 0- here, because it is their time to leave this earth...only god may give or take life, people who donate blood go directl against this comandment

2)Because its lost its meaning, people today either do it for money or too look good or heroic...

I know your all gonna think I'm some heartless freak...but i'm not, I've needed blood before but i didnt take it when it was offered to me, and god let me live...for that i thank him everyday but i will never regret not taking the blood and suffering imensly till i got better.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Are you serious, Redemtion (proper spelling: redemption)? I bloody (pun, heheheheh) hope you're not. I think even Chev will smite you if you are.

If you are, woe will be the day when you have someone else's fate in your hands and you let 'god' decide whether he/she should live instead of letting him/her have access to medical facilities.

This is just a side note: People who do the above in my general vicinity often die mysterious, violent deaths thus removing their genes from the gene pool and benefiting human evolution.

Edit: I just reread your post and saw (1). Let me say that if I'm there as well and my blood is unsuitable but yours is: Blood can be extracted from a gaping knife wound to the genitals or throat as well as from a syringe to a vein on the arm. Hint: I'm pretty handy with a knife. In other words: pray to your 'god' that you NEVER run into me.

Strange. I seem to be aiding the forces of good today. Bah!

*Goes off to make a few sacrifices to Bhaal*

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Redemption - ???

Should we not have doctors then? She would stop giving babies immunizations? Should we simply let "god" decide if they live or die? Oh, come now, you're being silly. While many people believe that only god makes a decision on whether people live or die, I do not know of anyone who thinks that modern medicine cannot be used to extend or improve someone's life.

@ Abomination - No, donating blood does not pay the bills, as it is considered a donation - a charitable contribution. You ever give things to good will? You don't get paid for that either. And as far as being in no condition to work, unless you do a job that requires manual labor, you're completely fine. I gave blood a week ago on my lunch hour, and I went back to work in the afternoon. Yeah, it kind of sucked that my arm was bruised up (first time that ever happened) but I didn't feel light-headed or feel ill or feel in any way that I couldn't sit at my desk and do my job. They recommend you refrain from heavy lifting for the rest of the day when you give blood, so unless you have a job that requires such, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go back to work.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I would gladly give it.

It is a good job that everyone does not think like you Xei Win Toh :wave:

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Donating blood is meant to be healthy for you or somesuch (don't ask me how, I have no idea), so hey, 'tis probably a good idea. Selling it would be an added bonus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.