1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Seayer - Distinguished member?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 15, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

About 180€ per month? Erm... Why don't you just buy your own server or something?

As to the 'Distinguished Member' -title, well; what are the rules to have it?

/Insert some nifty, official declaration below. :D

2. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My hearty agreement with Spellbound, and congratulations to both of you, Spellbound and Seayer.
    SP needs people like you :thumb:

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Because that would cost roughly $10,000 USD as well as colocation costs. You're looking at the same price either way. SP is on a dedicated server right now as is.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Wirhe, I already am leasing a dedicated server at the cheapest possible rate with a reliable host, and have learned to administer it myself simply out of necessity. But the server's in the US, and the only access I have to it is remote. If I could buy a server locally and set it up in colocation I probably would, but there's no such option here at any normal price. Also, there are several great advantages to leasing a server, the most important being I can drop it any time and switch for another, or change hosts if need be. If you buy your own box and put it in colocation you're then stuck with it and, usually, the host. Not to mention the substantial initial investment, which I couldn't really afford.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's 10,000 of a brand new, shiny server, but there are other options too: buying a bit older server, renting one (like now), or making a Linux cluster (like in some universities). 20+ cheap machines and one T1-3 line should do the job far to the future. :D

But, of course, since it would still cost >1000€ and expertise, I doubt it is possible for SP, not to mention the lack of 'cable...' Nevertheless, 180 * 12 = 2160€, so in 3-year term that would mean 6480€ + inflation... Quite a ridicilous amount to pay of rent, when there isn't even option to buy the server out after a time. :hmm:

(In poor students terms, 'course. :p )

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Dedicated servers are expensive. Yes, that's a lot more than what basic webhosting costs, but it should be as the datacenter is giving up a lot of their resources for you. In fact, the server is a bargain at it's current price.

Heh. A T3 line is $50,000/month (minimum). That idea is actually many, many times more expensive than the current situation. A T1/DS1 line is more than $600/month.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As I said, the current situation is the best in all respects, so there's no point in arguing it further. All of this is also completely off topic, so please make a new topic if you want to discuss hosting details.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll say yes for Seayer...but can I get one that says "Tightwad?" It seems only fair.

9. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I guess the originater of Member of the Week doesn't get any credit. That's OK, I'm too in debt to get acknowledgment anymore :p Congrats again Seayer, That avatar is worth big bucks ;)

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not to mention, it *cost* big bucks... ;)

j/k!!

Way to go Seayer!!! (and Spelly!!)

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

How much is a generous donation? is there a link to where it is explained? Perhaps more would donate regulary (or in one huge fundrage) if they knew they were working towards a title and knew when they reached it, recognition is very sought after here at SP or any other forum I think. A great motivator.

Or is dignity and the right for privacy above the Hype of capitalism, competition and fame?

EDIT; Forgot. Good Job Mr $eayer. Enjoy the deserved fame :)

12. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Way to go Sayer. You truly deserve the title of honor, ever the stoicist (or however you spell it).

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    @Nobleman. I think if peole thought they could get a title it would cheapen it. It's better people donate out of sincerity, than with a prize in mind, though I doubt Tal would care why the money is coming in, so long as it is.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Anyone who donates $100 or more gets the Member of the Week title. The people who hold the Distinguished Member titles have each donated around $500 during the time they've been hanging around SP. I guess it won't hurt to make these numbers specific. I'll do it when I get around to the next update.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gee...I wish my member was distinguished.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.