1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Putting down dogs that bite.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cross, Apr 26, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

To me, Arabwel has the right of it. Unless there is a truly life or death situation, due process should be used to determine whether or not a dog -- or any other animal -- belonging to someone else should be put down. Due process implying, of course, that the whole truth comes out and all factors are considered before a decision is made.

2. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

What ever happened to the "reasonable person" test? If a dog is an immediate danger to you or a member of your party, down it goes. However, if a dog attacks you or your child, and then before you get a bead on it, it runs away, you can't go on a hunt for it. That crosses the line of being a vigilante. So we are back to the "reasonable person" test, is the animal an immediate threat or not?

AJ,

Cross said:
    and you said:

As we live in the same state, I am curious, by state law, I don't believe that anyone has a right to "present" unless he or she, or an immediate family member are threatened with imminent harm. If you were walking down the street, and a complete stranger was being ripped to shreds by a dog, lion or tiger (I live near a place that has exotic animals, and I can hear them when I take the kids for a walk), technically I believe that you would have to call the authorities and attempt to stay out of harms way (in other words you can't put yourself into danger so that you can justify drawing your side arm). Is there an exception for animals that I am not aware of? :confused:

I am not trying to be hostile to you, I am just curious. ;) :cool:
    Thanks!

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    EJ, what I mean is say, the dog is sent to chase someone outside (I think it's done... I recall seeing articles about training dogs to do just that) And then someone seeing the dog jump a person and bite their arm in a police-doggish fashion, you know what I mean, and think "Damn, that dog is attacking that guy!" because the cop whop's working with the dog is further away out of sight, seeing as he's not as fast as the dog is, and the poor dog gets whacked. Does that make any sense?

And I agree, there are some "killer" dogs that are rerally sweet, and then there are lapdogs who want to kill anything is sioght. Been there, done that, got bitten. :(

(*trots off to hug her uncle's mangy mutt*)

4. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Arabwel, yes, police dogs are used in that fashion, at least in Norway. It only happens, though, when a criminal is fleeing the police and they release the dog so that it can run him down. But theoretically, it could happen like you said.

I don't know about other countries, but here, attacking a police dog is considered (in court) as "assaulting a police officer". This actually happened a few years ago; someone kicked a police dog badly, and was tried and sentenced to prison time for assaulting a police officer on duty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.