1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Putting down dogs that bite.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cross, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Here in Norway there is a new law around the corner that says, in brief, that dogs that "significantly hurts" people can be put down on the spot by anyone present. Needless to say, there is a vicious debate going on about it. As a matter of curiosity I'd like to hear what SP members have to say in the matter. Are there laws like that in your county? And if so, how do they work?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 15 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Putting down dogs that bite. (15 votes.)

Putting down dogs that bite. (Choose 1)
    * Dogs that attack people should only be put down if the owner agrees. - 13% (2)
    * Dogs that attack people should always be put down, by anyone nearby. - 27% (4)
    * Dogs that attack people should always be put down, but only by police or other qualified peronnel. - 60% (9)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That seems a tad weird. A guy can stop by your house to say, borrow a CD. He notices your dog is particulary vicious (which, hypothetically, is the case here). So he kills it, and you can't pursue legal action against him. Odd.

=

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I don´t think that is the idea of this particular law... If a dog attacks, of course anyone should have the right to shoot it to the Heaven of Bad Puppies without first needing to consult every damn lawyer. Besides, would you really sue someone because of that? (And not spank the hell out of him yourself?)

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No. In the case you describe, the person would have provoked a situation where the dog attacked him. So, this law would not be applicable on the described case.

"significantly hurts" people. This means that a person has not only the duty to come to the rescue of someone attacked by the dog, the person would have now the additional right to put the dog down on the spot. (Which the person theoretically anyway had).

But I want that law too. Last year in Zürich, a dog attacked a woman on a bridge. The attacked woman fell into the river and drowend, because she couldn't swim. Whereas the woman who owned the dog, just walked away, as if nothing had happend. But she got caught 3 days later.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Actually, I think I just misinterpreted the first post. I thought it meant dogs (in general) that hurt people. But now I'm all cleared up.

Still, I wonder if this will be extended to other domesticated animals. Certainly wouldn't want to make people purchase very exotic/expensive animals as pets.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It basically works the same way in a lot of States in the US.

If you have a concealed permit, and a dog attacks you, you kill it. Right then, right there. Attacking, defined as within 20 feet, and growling/showing its teeth/barking/crouching. I forget the distance, to be honest; it may be more like 40 feet. The idea was a guy could throw a knife, rather than just stabbing or slashing with it. Whatever distance it was for a knife, will be the same distance for a dog; in my State, at least.

Now, if it's a poodle or something that you can just punt and get 5 or 6 yards on it, then obviously you just do that instead. But if it's a great dane, or a doberman, or some other kind of stray that's big enough to seriously hurt you, then it's justified (by law, at least).

It works different if you're in someone's house. But if you're just out walking around with your 3 year old girl, around the block, then there's not a whole lot of debate about it; even with a poodle. There will be a police report, which is reviewed by the county sherrif, but that's as far as it goes. As long as the round only hits the dog, that is. You have to pay damages if it passes through and hits someone's car. And then it goes to a whole other matter if you injure someone.

Which is just all the more reason to use hollowpoints and practice at the gun range...

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course you are allowed to defend yourself, with or without that law. If the situation has cooled down though just anyone shouldnt be able to walk up and put down the dog. It should be reported to the police and they would take nescessary actions.

What bugs me in occasions like that is that it never is the dog's fault. It is the stupid owner that never should have had a dog in the first place. The dog should perhaps be put down but the owner should get assault and abuse charges laid against him just as if he had attacked the person the dog mauled himself.

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Kill the dog. Instantly.
    If a dog is attacking a person and I am capable of killing the dog I would do it, regardless of if I have the law on my side or not.

9. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree. But what if you don't actually see it happen, but hear about it afterwards? Do you think it would be OK to go out to find the dog, possibly seek it out at its owner's place, and kill it? Or should that be left to the authorities? What bothers a lot of people about this law isn't people killing dogs that are attacking people right in front of their eyes, but people seeking out dogs that have previously attacked people, or even are rumoured to have done so.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I can see people provoking the neighbour's dog and then using that as an excuse for killing it. Unless there is an attack in progress, then violent dogs who need to be put down should be dealt with using due process. In particular, if the animal is behind a tall fence, or securely chained, it should take a court order to get that animal killed.

11. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A dog killed its owner, a woman only one mile away from my home two years ago. That dog wasn't even provoked by anyone, the woman was just walking the dog. The dog ripped its muzzle apart and killed woman.

I think that too aggressive dogs and dogs, that have attacked someone should be put down. Not by shooting, because putting down is much better method for both, the dog and people.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Personally I don't like dogs. I feel that if a person can't train their mutt to behave, then they should either be sent to obedience school or to the pound.

Two of my neighbors have rottweilers. One of them will only bark if it's owners are in danger, or if you tell it to "speak", he is also very friendly and can take walks without having to wear a lease. The other dog can't be trusted with a stranger without the owner in sight. Now which of these dogs do you think should be sent to the pound? Personally, I wouldn't mind if the second gets sent to the "glue factory"!!! :rolling:

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Here in Malaysia, there is no such thing as dog pound. To deal with wild dogs problem, they just shoot them on the spot. It is a bit hard to get Muslims to catch these dogs because Muslims cannot touch them. i remember when i was in high school, we can hear gun shots every now and then and find blood stains in campus. My high school is rather big and so is the canteen which attracts the dog with left over.

Attack? They even kill them when they don't attack. Dogs are dirty animals for Muslim, and since Malaysia takes Islam as the federation's religion, they don't really care more or less about killing a dog. Also, i know some people who just love dog meat. In here, we don't need to wait until for a dog to attack in order to kill.

[ April 28, 2003, 06:47: Message edited by: teekc ]

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In my opinion that law should be applied to humans. Even if I like dogs equally much or more, I'd apply the same law to them as well.

The poll is flawed though. You should give the extreme utopian animal-rights activists an opportunity to vote for: "Never kill a dog no matter what the circumstance!"

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, here's a scenario for you to think about... What if someone, based on this law, accidentally, say, shoots a poilce dog becuse they mistake it for a "normal" dog that is attacking someone? Or kill a dog that is defending its owner against an assault? Or just overreaact. Someone walking onto a scene from behind a corner can never know what happened before. or something like that.

Anyone remember the movie Beethoven? Where the nasty vetenarian sprayed goop on his hand and the dog's face, faking a bite so that he could get the dog for animal experiments?

Wjat I am trying to say is that one can never be certain of what has happened, so immediate action is not always appropriate. Thus, my opinion is the third option.

(Trying to be coherent... for once)

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Here in Queensland, Australia, we have something called 'scienter principle'. It means 'kept knowingly'. Basically it says that if we keep ANY animal that we know to be of 'ferae naturae' of a feral nature, and that animal harms in any way a person and they bring it to court, then the animal is put down. It is simple as that. However, there is some controversy as to the species of dogs that can be considered of a feral nature. Breeds like bull mastiffs and satffishire (spelling) terriors are considered to be feral, so are then put down, whereas a sausage dog would not be. There is also the added variable of aggrivation, and this can change the results.

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Cross
    If I knew that a dog had attacked I consider it ok to seek it up and kill it.
    Hearsay or rumors is not enough.

The dog races that are bred killers should not be kept as pet animals and I would feel no remorse for killing any of those. I'd be glad if those races were extinct. Whenever I see someone walking such a dog - which isn't often - I always think of that person as utter scum.
    Yeah, can you tell I hate those dogs? :flaming:

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now I think you are racist Earl Grey. :p
    As I said before, it is never the dogs fault. I know plenty of pit bull terriers that are the sweetest most loving dogs anyone could ever ask for and that wouldnt bite anyone for anytihng in the world. I also know of vicsious little lap dogs that would try to maul any little baby it can sink it fangs in. It all depends on what kind of owner the dog has and if they are really suitable to have a dog.

19. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I would go with Joacqin. The dog is not the problem. The human is the problem. There are a lot of people who own dogs, which are just not suited for it. They are either overcharged with the dog or even worse, have serious antisocial tendencies. Specifically people who have a preference for certain dog races. But as long there's no system in place, to control the people who own dogs...

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ara, the police dogs are used in a specific directive in the US. The cops don't send the dog into a crowded building to get the gunman. Although, Texas has done that with their Federal Inmates in the past; I would tell you they got good results, but there are tree-huggers who would differ with me.

As for the dog protecting the owner, that's always a risk. Even police officers in plain-clothes have gotten either shot, or held at gunpoint, by just a joe-schmoe who stumbled onto the scene.

It's definately not a perfect system. I sweat it all the time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.