1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Public Transportation?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Oct 24, 2005.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I usually walk to college these days (it's only a mile away) but I take the bus when I'm too lazy :p

It costs £1.10.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bus only occasionally -when it's cold and I'm visiting the city. At summer-time I usually walk. I could, perhaps, use busses more often it they simply drove them at least once for every 30 minutes (ATM, it's 1/h). When I need to visit the capital, it's always train.

Can't afford a car or a motorcycle just yet, being a student as I am. As such, I also live near the uni.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Same around here, I think. ;)

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Now that's strange. In Helsinki a monthly regional ticket would cost atleast 50 euros monthly if not even more. The difference between regional traffic and commuting traffic between cities must be a lot bigger around there then.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Bombay has a pretty good overlapping network of trains and busses. I use them a lot, specially when I need to go to the south of the city where parking is a bitch.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I live out in the country, where there is no Public transportation. When I lived in London (Ontario, not England) I used the LTC (bus) regularly though.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Speaking of reagonal monthly passes, I think they cost about $45-$50 per month, and you can take as many busses and light rail trips as you want. During the winter, I think they have special discount passes for taking busses up to the ski resorts, which are about 20 to 30 miles away for the nearest ones.

If we are without our 2nd car for much longer, I'm thinking about buying a monthly pass. I guess you save a little money...but the problem is, I just don't know where to get them. :rolling:

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I catch the bus if my other half is working, all other times I have my own personal chaeuffeur ;)

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    When at home I either cycle, walk or have mother/father/friend with a driving license drive me around.

I have to take the train to get to my uni city (1 hour of train on Sunday evenings and Friday evenings. Next year it'll be 3 hours. Can't wait.) and then the bus (free) to get to my room. Once I have arrived I mostly cycle everywhere.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My monthly pass costs almost twice as much as Kitrax (though I do have to travel 10 miles to work and college) I get unlimited travel throughout Ireland on weekends!

My weekends have not been boring sinced I switched from bus travel

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    My pass costs $165/month, but gets me unlimited transportation in all five counties in the Philadelphia metropolitan area.

The fun part is, a strike is looming. My train lines will the the only part of the system still running. Guess who's likely to be working form home in November?

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Is that a misprint or are you kidding? You might want to look into getting a car if you want to save some money if its true that you pay that much...

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bahir - the gas, prorated insurance, prorated administrative costs and prorated maintenance easily eclipse that $165/month, and that doesn't even count the cost of the car itself!

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I was talking about a *magic* car... duh...

:rolleyes:

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The busses here are horribly overcrowded at rush hours, and there's no train station in the town where I live. So in the past I used trains only when I was out of town, but mostly busses. Which I've never used for anything but intra-city transport for as long as I've had a car. Just about the only advantage of busses is that you don't have to worry about crashing or parking them. With anything else you're better off in a car.

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I take buses daily - there's a good system here. All buses eventually go to the City Exchange, which functions just like a train station. Most buses come every 15 minutes on weekdays, although it's about half an hour on weekends. I take it for school, and generally use it to go out on Sunday.

17. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I live in the southern u.s. & drive 45 miles to work if i'm working at the office. Most of the time i'm working 165 - 250 miles from home & only come in every other weekend or so. Most of my friends drive no less than 25 miles each way to work. In fact i dont know anyone that lives close to where they work.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    yay, transit's out on strike. The only thing running is the trains, which will be horribly crowded. Thank God for telecommuting.

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, do occasionally avail of the 'Metrobus', though the system is severely lacking - no routes into a major industrial park when most of the labourers there aren't earning enough to afford a car, for example.

And as Kuemper said, there are other LARGE gaps between stops and routes.

But Kitrax, you may wanna check your city's website - they may well have info there about where to buy the monthly passes (I'd guess city hall, as well as the main transit depot's office)

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I hate public transport! Very unreliable you know! Especially the trains, always being delayed or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.