1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Potentially Allowing Ragusa and Darkwolf to Post in AoDA & AoLS Again

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Brings some things up??? He shoves them down every American's throat -- ad nauseum. I don't have a problem with him attacking American politics in a POLITICAL forum. I DO have a problem with him crossing the line and making generalities about the American citizens, in a very snide and offensive way (yes..style). That's what blogs are for. I daresay...that if he attacked the Polish people like he did the Americans, day in and day out, like it was in here....you'd feel quite differently.

And with that, I'm out. I'm not up for the arguments of old, nor do I want to read his comments in here that you paste -- once was enough.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, this "American" never had much of a problem with what Regusa, nor with what Darkwolf have had to say in the past. And I can match my American credentials against anyone else's around here, for that matter.

In fact, I got along with both of them, and I hope that the feelings were mutual, since I happen to like and respect them. As an American, steeped in the tradition of civil liberty, I happen to believe in freedom of speech. I understand what it means to allow others to have an opinion that is different than mine. Darkwolf was never one to spare my "liberal" sensiblities, but that never stopped nor scared me away from the debate. Some people may not like what others have to say, and as is often said, if you don't like what you hear, then just "change the channel" and find something that suits you better.

Both Darkwolf and Ragusa had good debating skills, and they would take the time to research and develop their arguments in a systematic and logical method. Hence, their posts were not easily brushed aside with a few pointed and emotional remarks, which tended to greatly annoy their detractors.

In my opinion, it was a bit of an injustice that they were both banned from the Alley in the first place. But at the same time I understood that something had to be done to sooth those whose feathers had been a bit ruffled, or even scorched, by the intense debate that the Alley used to generate on a daily basis. I'm sure that some won't agree with my comments, but then, that is what free debate is supposed to be about.

[ November 25, 2006, 08:35: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To be fair, our American visitors who couldn't stomach Ragusa shoved his posts down their throats voluntarily. If you'd entered a thread in AoLS made by Ragusa, you knew what to expect. Considering the repetitiveness of his posts, you wouldn't have found anything new there. If despite that someone digs into every post of his, it begs the question why, and where's the common sense. Because it's something akin to a Democrat going to a Republican convention (or vice versa) and then complaining that he felt he found himself in a hostile environment. Well, uh... There's a reason why it isn't done much.

The problem on our boards is that both sides have exactly the same amount of freedom. Darkwolf was a pretty good counterweight to Ragusa. His posts felt just as unfair to those agreeing with Ragusa, as I'm sure that Ragusa's posts felt unfair to those agreeing with Darkwolf. And yet, they both posted freely (as long as they posted within the rules).

No one is forced to read Ragusa or Darkwolf's posts, let alone the entire AoLS forum. Staying out of it effectively makes sure that you don't have to see their political views anywhere else on the message boards. I still feel that this is the most sensible solution for those who don't want to read either Ragusa or Darkwolf's posts.

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

At the risk of not contributing to the dialogue, I think BoM's Graemlins can illustrate this activity being discussed most recently:

:bang:

(oh, and :deadhorse: )

But after having researched through the archives back to the point of the thread: I now get off the fence and take a side - LET THEM BACK. (if only I could revise my 'indifferent' vote ;) )

I for one, am looking forward more to Darkwolf than Ragusa; my personal views skew more towards the latter than the former, and if I'm going into the Alleys, I'm looking for intelligent debate rather than preaching from the pulpit. I *think* I squared off against DW once, and to be honest I lost...but I like that - how can my own arguments grow and strengthen if I don't face them against contrary people who will find 'the chinks in the armor'.

:book:

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It appears you have a very short memory. Ragusa did NOT keep his political anti-American posts to AoLS. I remember him posting such posts in Whatnots as well, AND the anger you had at his doing that.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, he started doing that after he was barred from AoDA and AoLS. It didn't last long.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

It really tends to be that the people who take offence are more the problem than the people who say the stuff.

Anyone can say something contraversial and go unoticed, it's when people leap onto their pedestals that the problem begins.

It helps if you can laugh at yourself, too.

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    What measures can you realy take? The fact that this poll was even started shows your willing to consider removing the ban. Speaking of which Tal, if the support is overwhelming are you realy going to let them back into AoDA and AoLS or was this just a fact finding mission?
    P.S: I still stand by my Neutral vote in this matter.

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I'm pretty sure Tal has already answered those questions.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, it seems pretty simple to me. If they "violate their parole," so to speak, I would think it simple enough to immediately and permanently re-institute the ban and return to normal, right? Isn't that more or less how you envision it?

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Well, call me a woolly-minded free speecher, but they should be let back in. I always thought it was a tad harsh kicking them out in the first place, and it's not like their posts violated the rules in the sense of unwarranted personal attacks, etc. They just flogged the same deceased equine over and over again. There's always the option of ignoring them, after all, or further banning if they're naughty boys. Svy was more of a bad apple, but these two's diametrically opposed views weren't truly extreme.

Just everyone remembers that passionate attacks on your country's politics aren't the same as launching an actual invasion, and everything'll be fine. Give peace a chance!
    :hippy:

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

A resounding "Positive" from me...I miss both of them. A bit more polarity might make it fun again.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Positive here also - I hated the idea of kicking them out in the first place.

But then, I also generally only skimmed their posts because there generally wasn't anything new or different in them. It was the same old long winded debate again and again. So if they do come back I would appreciate some restraint on their behalf in regards to the infinite and going nowhere debate :)

(edit: hey, didn't know about the no politics in the chatroom rule. That's a bit of a shame ... not that I can remember any time where I've discussed politics there, but I'd rather have my options open...)

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, I think that this thread has been up long enough for most people who care to chime in. Given the results, we've decided to allow Ragusa and Darkwolf to post in AoDA and AoLS again (for now).

As I said, the mods and I will be monitoring their posts closely to ensure compliance with our rules. If anyone spots any suspected irregularities or rule breaking, do let the moderators know so that we can look into it.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread and poll, and I hope that letting them back won't be a decision we'll regret making.

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] Great news!

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I have a bad feeling about this. But here's hoping I'm wrong...

17. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Thanks everybody.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I said I didn't mind you two back. They way I see it, you two now owe me a favour! I'll think on it and get back to you, eh? ;)

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like to point out that no matter how far Darkie and I were (and probably are) apart in our views, it wasn't personal.

PS: Never imagined I would become subject of a poll. I appreaciate the result. Thanks.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You haven't really 'made it' in this world until you have featured in a poll. That should be everybody's main life ambition.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.