1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Potentially Allowing Ragusa and Darkwolf to Post in AoDA & AoLS Again

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I have to vote yes as anyone staying around for so long without posting rights is dedicated to the site. Let em in.
    I also want to say at the same time that US bashing that came in on almost all conversations on any subject has stopped me form posting.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's a shame, but remember that many base these on something, base this on previous experiences. If we're not allowed to speak critically about the nation boasting themselves as the land of the free, then what use is the AoLS?

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, yet another person that fits Tal's unexpected demographic - never saw it, dunno what all the big deal was about.

*peruses 'culprit' threads*

Ah. Seen a few of those in USENET or fora - they were basically ignored after a while, got bored with a lack of response and either adapted themselves into the froup or just left.

*checks further*

Hmmm...interesting...each seems to have a decent sense of humor at times - like any other BoM'er. But...
    :skeptic:
    ...where exactly have either *posted* since october of last year? They haven't posted *anywhere* I can see in about a year, yet they are still "willing to return"? Call me Advocatus Diaboli but I get a silly image of a couple of barbarians sitting outside a city gate, waiting patiently and playing rock-paper-scissors to pass the time. :lol:

Well, both seem to have clearly-defined views, and as long as everyone else remembers that, I don't see much risk of future strife; the occasional 'drama,' but the Alleys haven't stopped that in the absence of these two gentlemen. And I'm a firm believer of reminding myself of differing opinions to my own - the occasional extreme example helps keep a 'relative standing' in my mind. Add to which, my skimming gives me the impression of interesting minds behind these posts and opinions.

Well, the worst thing that can happen is that a few alley-dwellers get incited, and some mods get a little extra work - that's the closest to a 'net loss' in this situation.

Not to mention that if ye don't let them back, we'll all wonder if it was the right decision and never be able to be sure... :2c:

(besides, winter's starting to take hold up here and I could use something to keep warm ;) )

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Technically I think I've been around long enough. My original account is this one: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/profile/5449.html, and I lurked for a good long time before creating that account. That said, I rarely visits the forums in question. I come to this site for the games, not to get in political debates.

With that disclaimer out of the way, it sounds to me that plenty of time has passed, and a couple of longtime, dedicated board members are surely worthy of another chance. If they blow their second chance, then that should answer the question of this topic once and for all. If they don't, well that's a good answer too!

It's not like anyone is going to die, or lose their life savings over this decision. So, go for it, says I ;)

5. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Absolutely let them back in.
    To be honest, I was disapointed they were banned in the first place, it's always interesting to get a fresh perspective on something. Half the fun of the Alleys is reading other peoples arguments.

I'd have really liked to have seen a three-way discourse between them and Svy, any chance of inviting him back?!

I also found it useful as news stories came up which didn't reach our media. I could then some further, slightly less biased, research on the subject.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No, no, NO, no, no, and no.

The difference between Svy and Darkwolf/Ragusa is that the latter two provide something to a discussion, Svyatoslav did not. He refused to listen to anyone but him, and called everyone that wasn't a fascist to be biased, refusing to listen to sources that weren't written by fascist authors and apologists.

And don't even get me started on his supportal of the genosides in Spain, by the Slavic parts of the Red Army, and by the Wermacht. Ugh.

7. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yeah, Svy is an other case than Darkwolf/Ragusa. I would not support Svy's return.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Spoilsports. :p

I was being sarcastic, but I don't see how you can get so worked up about someones who's obviously a complete loony tune.

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's not get into a discussion about this, Register. Stick to the original question. Right now, I'm asking people for their opinions. I value Old One's, and I'm not expecting an argument about politics or require anyone to defend their opinions, but simply to state them.

They pretty much haven't posted anywhere else on the boards since they've been barred from those forums. So their interests here are quite obviously narrowly focused on those two forums. Make of that what you will...

They weren't banned. The only thing that was asked of them was to stay out of AoLS and AoDA.

No, I don't think that Svy's contributions to the debates are worth the hassle of letting him back.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yeah... this is a gaming site... but we are kind of family-like here, and it ends up that most of us post in Whatnots, AoLS, and AoDA rather than the gaming sections anyways.

:lol: No... no they weren't.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Even though I spend little time in the Alley these days, I feel it's an excellent idea. But it would appear that most of the old timers, who would remember them, are gone.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, if Ragusa stops posting monologues and treating threads like his own blog (as stated earlier in the topic), I see no harm in it, though I'm not really an Alley regular.

Indifferent about Darkwolf, though.

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If they learn how to discuss like grownups and we won't react to them as touchy crybabies, then yes, please, let them in. I think they have done their time in the BoM's Spellhold long enough and should be given a second chance.

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well this "old one" is still around -- and I almost didn't post my opinion here, since it is clearly in the minority. I had always thought that Ragusa and DW were asked to cease posting in those forums, not only for attacking each other -- but for attacking OTHERS as well....i.e. in Ragusa's case, the non-stop degrading comments about American policy AND it's citizens. Asking Ragusa to stop writing inflammatory posts such as that is like asking a tiger to drop its stripes -- ain't gonna happen.

Oh -- and what many of you new posters may not realize, is that he wasn't just asked to leave those forums without any warnings. He was given many, many warnings to stop the American "slam" posting, but simply couldn't. So I really don't see this as his "second chance".

I vote NO.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... If we are at it, I believe Ragusa has many times been "moderated" by non-moderators, so if we let him back in, we need to make sure that doesn't happen because, after all, the rules apply to everyone and not just to him. I don't always like the tone of his posts but I often find the replies he gets to be more inflammatory than what he writes.

Also, according to my knowledge, he's been given warnings to tone down the intensity of his evaluations and make things more civil in some cases and mind the feelings of the readers more, but he hasn't really been given warnings to stop criticising American politicians and policies, as it were... In fact, I don't even think that's a generic offence. What's an offence is being rude or contrfactual and with that let's deal.

[ November 24, 2006, 21:22: Message edited by: chevalier ]

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Positive.

Though to be honest, I don't really get the whole concept of asking them back...it's a bit of an artificial way of making the alley more colourful IMO.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

chevalier -- he was given warnings about stepping over the line and slamming Americans, not just their politics.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If he can come up with something to back his arguments, I can't see why he should be prevented from talking about people's attitudes or made to pretend that what he sees as a general pattern is a loose number of unconnected incidents. The moment one stops being civil, or starts making absurd claims one can't possibly verify, that's where there's a problem. But in a hypotetical exchange like, "Americans should lose some of the exceptionalist attitude and start applying the same standards to themselves as to other nations and people they judge," "Hatred speaks through you, you're rude, you've just offended every single American on the boards..." I'm more inclined to like Ragusa's way of framing thoughts, no matter if I actually agree with them or not. I suppose a general, massive, concentrated and continual critique of the national traits of a certain nation can be majorly annoying, but it's not like Ragusa actually does that. It surely would be nicer if he posted in other forums more and made the amount of critical threads in the Alley more followable, but we have a lot more comments about the attitudes of people of a certain nationality or religion or whatever than just Ragusa's ever recurring point about American exceptionalist attitudes. Of course, if he actually breaks a rule, he should be punished like everyone else, but I think this holds also for the replies he gets, and keeping him out doesn't invalidate his points, whether they are real or not. I'm getting the impression that the fact that he brings some things up tends to be more problematic than the style in which he does it and I wouldn't like to think that.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's a certain recent poster here in this thread who is far worse than Ragusa and Darkwolf to be honest. Aye, let 'em back :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.