1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Poll: What Puts You to Sleep?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Injection of poison, maybe? Good thing I'm no animal though. :p

Never had any trouble in going to sleep when it's quiet, but if there are noise or I'm feeling restless, it's better to stand up, have a cup of hot cocoa, and watch some (good) show for a while. Usually relaxes and puts me into a good mood, provided that the show was really something worth watching.

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    What puts me to sleep?

In a good sense: A certain special someone. :p

In a bad sense: Hmm...maths, definitely. And bad films.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't need anything, all i have to do is lay down, and i'm gone. It even happened once when it's not supposed to happen. I won't step into details, it was embarrassing enough as it is. :shake:

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) Yes 2) TV

Then I read the posts. I could quote Felinoid almost verbatim for my explanation. :D

I moved here after living in NYC for 25 years. The silience keeps me awake. If I need to sleep all I have to do is turn on the TV. In fact turning on the TV puts me to sleep. The other thing I find useful is St Augustine's "City of God". I've never gotten past the first paragraph. Sorry, Chev. :p

5. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

"Sleep? Yakman never sleep."
    "You never sleep? You must sleep. If you didn't sleep it would drive you...oh."

If I'm listening to music laying on my back, I doze off no matter what time of day. I've merrily slept through a Slayer album...go figure.

At nighttime it's difficult sometimes. The quieter it is and the less stuff buzzing in my head, the better.

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I don't have any problems with sleeping. I even sleep in public transport. But if I find it hard then some very doom metal helps :D

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I can sleep anywhere anytime. The only time I have problems sleeping is when I've slept for 8-9 solid hours and I want to sleep for a few more. It just doesn't work.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Depends on the day. Sometimes I go to sleep within minutes, others 5 hours later (which is usually near morning, and means I get a couple of hours' sleep at most)

Never tried sleeping pills, but ironically one of the most potent solutions I have found for insomnia is a large, hot mug of tea :)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've heard stories about people moving from a big loud city into quieter areas and can't sleep. It was true in my parents case too... when they got to Canada, there wasn't as much traffic noise and sirens at night which they were used to hearing. So they found it hard to sleep for the first couple weeks or months? until they got used to the silence.

But for me, I don't need extra noise when sleeping at night. When sleeping in the day, I find that car or bus rides are great for sleeping. And at school, it is far easier to sleep with a prof lecturing in front of a class than it is to sleep in an empty room. And of course reading journals and academic stuff puts me to sleep.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

If I *really* can't sleep, then I pop in my Bloodthorn or my Candlemass album, and off I go. :D

Never tried sleeping pills... not really interested in them, to be honest... Try watching the channel of people selling crap. The narrator has a voice so boring it's impossible not to fall asleep.

11. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Yes Candlemass is execellent help here, esp Epicus Doomicus Metallicus album :D
    But some funeral doom is perfect :evil:

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've been an insomniac for over 30 years and always have some music playing softly on my cd player which I set the sleep function on for 90 minutes. Usually I manage to drift off before it shuts down and stay asleep for 2-3 hours and then either repeat the process or get up again.
    The worst times are when the player switching itself off wakes me up so that I have to start the process again.
    I don't use anything to try and force my body to sleep as I find that generally makes things worse and besides I'm used to it.

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I used to have some problems with tinnitus, so going to sleep wasn't that easy with the constant noice in my head. But my case of tinnitus wasn't that bad, so putting on an episode of South Park helped a lot. Fortunately, the tinnitus has almost gone away, but since I made a habit of watching South Park episodes every night I just couldn't stop.

By now I've memorized about everything from all 9 seasons of the show, but it's still great fun to watch/fall asleep to.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've actually never had problems with sleeping, i just close my eyes and off i am! :D
    Well, i had some problems when i was little, but novadays sleeping is eeeasy.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm generally so bloody exhausted when I finally get into bed that I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't really need anything to help me fall asleep (on five of my last eight airplane flights I have managed to fall asleep before the plane even took off :) ). Still, I like to sleep with a fan running to provide a little noise to drown out other sounds.

When I was a baby my parents had huge problems getting me to sleep, until they figured out that all they had to do was put me in a car with the engine running and then :sleep: I went.

17. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Bahir -
    Now that you mention it, I think the study in question concluded that a rhythmic, constant sound (like a fan, or a/c) resembles the sound of the mother's heartbeat from when you're in the womb...subconsciously taking you back to the time when I you had to do was sleep *envious sigh* (and yank on the bell pull for room service :lol: )

18. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can't sleep without music in my hears, so I use headphones, of course in the middle of the night the cable get tangled up around my neck, one of this days I will wake hanged :grin:

When I lived alone, I used my PC to put the music, and in the exactly time when the music stop for whatever reason I woke up. I can't stand the sound of silence.

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I am quite hyper at night time. sometimes I can sleep at 11pm if I'm tired enough, but normally I can't go to bed earlier than at 1:30 or 2am or so... Reding is the only thing that helps.

20. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i can sleep anytime andywhere, exept when i'm at home and my computer screen is on with the computer off, the screen has a very very small green lamp that flashes, VERY annoying. the funny part is that i can sleep with the tv on, or the internet buttons flashing(Routers' in my room)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.