1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Poll - has a death in a game made you cry? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Cúchulainn, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has a death or other situation in a game ever made you cry?

If so please state.

[ July 27, 2005, 16:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 44 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Poll - has a death in a game made you cry? (44 votes.)

Poll - has a death in a game made you cry? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 25% (11)
    * No - 75% (33)

2. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The saddest ending to a game I've ever played was Final Fantasy 10. While I found the end of FF 10 to be sad, I didn't cry. They are only games after all.

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

No, but I did feel quite emotional at the end of Planescape: Torment, when you realise that there's no happy ending. Just loads of endings of unhappiness.

[ July 26, 2005, 15:16: Message edited by: Alavin ]

4. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There aren't enough games that really make you feel for a character to the point that you cry when they die.

5. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Anachronox spoilers -

Although this isn't strictly a spoiler since she's fairly obviously dead from the beginning of the game.

The flashbacks of Fatima's death from different points of view, and the slow unravelling of the love triangle between her, Sly and Stiletto were masterfully done. Hearing Boots say "Trust me" for the last time left a cold, hollow feeling in my stomach. Made all the more bittersweet by the fact that any chance of a sequel, and carrying on with the other half of the plot got destroyed together with Ion Storm. Thanks Eidos.

6. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think several games have made me cry.

Four come to mind right now.

One is "The Longest Journey", not only a death, but the whole ending (Oooh...still so long till the release of "Dreamfall"!) - actually the whole story was very moving, and epic.

Second is "The Black Mirror". I won't tell you what it was about the ending, but it really made me cry. Also, somewhere in the middle, someone dies who I would not have wanted to die.

Then there is the ending of "Grim Fandango" - it is actually a kind of happy end, but still, it is kind of melancholic.

The end of "Syberia" was strange...the whole game is quite drab, and sad. But at the end, I wanted to shout at Kate Walker (the protagonist), because I thought she was missing that chance...

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Can't remember a single one. Some movies, yes, but no game has done that, AFAIK. Usually this is because the games do not build towards that kind of ending but just throw it to your face like a pancake, complete with sudden fanfares 'n all.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I had a friend that cried when Alis died in Phantasy Star 4 (Megadrive), but in some games you do get attached to the characters.

9. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No, but the endings of Planescape and Grim Fandango made me almost shed a tear.

*minor Grim Fandango spoiler*

It was so sad to see Glottis and Manny saying good bye to eachother :(

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

bah! Macho men! :p

I cried :cry: I don't think I would've if he had merely died, but it was the fact that he just ceased to exist. It was as if he had never been. And, having so much to lose, he knew that but made the choices that would lead to his err "demise" anyway :(

I also felt pretty bad in Warcraft 3 in the end of the Orc campaign cinematic, when Thrall's friend (or is it brother?) dies to save him :(

11. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I didn't feel bad when Grom died. Heck, if anything, he would have wanted to die that way: redeeming his honor in battle, protecting Thrall.

I've never played a game that actually made me cry, though the story of Fatima's death came close.

I've heard a lot of people say they cried in Final Fantasy 7 when Aeris dies. I laughed.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No game death has ever made me cry, but I did swear a blue streak that I could've painted my house with when Aeris died in FF7. The only time I've ever felt even close to crying over a game was the romantic plot in FF8. Seeing Squall's barriers gradually fall to Rinoa was touching, and the music was spot on for the mood.

Keep in mind, though, that I've never played FF10, as I can't find it for the PC. :nolike:

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm good at choking back tears, so no. But I have to agree that FFX was the saddest, even though you saw it coming from a long way.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Betrayl at Krondor...but I cried harder when I found out there would not be a true sequel. But I'm female so may cry when ever I feel like it.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I have never cried over a game but some death in games have made me sad

FF7 Aeris death..

FF10 endding, one of the best and saddest enddings i have seen. same goes for PS:T

QFG 4: when tobby gives his life so tanya the child vampire can become human again...and when the rosulka dies....and when the to ghost finaly meet and goes to the afterlife....damn QFG 4 was great.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yes....

I shot Sarge in Quake III arena... he fell on his face and the cigar broke :cry:

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, I'm not trying to be mean, but you surely you can't be serious about crying over a computer game? :nuts:

Unless of course it's from frustration over a buggy game that keeps crashing.

18. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

No movie, nor video game has made me shed any tears yet. I doubt that a game will have such a great impact on me, it's just not "right", heh.

:lol:
    Funny, and correct ;)

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Harbourboy, there are lot's of people who cry during movies. Okay, most of them are girls or men with lots of femininity inside.... but still... movies are also not real too (I hope you already discovered that ;) ) and if some people cry during a movie of only 2 hours, is it then strange that some people cry during a many more hours during game? :)

I voted "no" but I think people who cried because of something happening in a computergame must be great role-players :)

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I voted no, but there must be a fair few "nearlys". One that stands out as almost tear-inducing was in Ultima VII, where Jaana got blown up by a trapped chest after a battle - owing to the fixed isometric perspective and opaque trees, I didn't realise until *after* I'd saved, and had to bite the bullet and replay a whole chunk of the game. That had me moping around for hours feeling very pissed off.

That and any scripted (cutscened) death get on my ****, because I get really annoyed in being unable intervene because the stupid game says so! But that's more about being a really bad loser than anything else, I suppose :lol:

As for crying at films - again - I nearly go, but never actually produce tears. I have a lot of control that way; even if I am getting emotional I can usually keep myself in check enough to ride it out. Call it British stiff upper lip, I guess. :heh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.