1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Pc vs console

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Stu, May 23, 2004.

1. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I fully agree with Rastor, there are so many junk cheaply thrown out games for Console aswell, most of these come from Japanese companys.

Also i could make a very good computer for $500, including case, keyboard etc... but it also helps that my dad gets a discount from a place thats already one of the cheapest stores (i mean cheapest for the same producs as say PC world, not cheapest as in has lots of scabby products :p )

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That leaves you with $158 (less perhaps shipping and taxes). That would almost be enough for the motherboard and only 512 meg of PC3200 RAM; on top of that, you still need a case, power supply, hard drive, cd drive, mouse, keyboard, speakers and operating system (although granted, you might be able to carry over some of these items from an older system, but at some point they would need replacement - if not this upgrade, then the next). I'm assuming you're going with on-board sound.

Again, I'm not arguing that you can't build a decent $500 system to run today's games (assuming you are either recycling parts from an older PC or are using budget-ranged components), but I seriously doubt that this system would be able to handle all games coming out for the next six years, even with all settings set to minimum. (I'm assuming that we're defining "handle" as meaning "playable", and not that you can get it to load, but end up running at an average of 5 fps.)

[ May 31, 2004, 22:56: Message edited by: Splunge ]

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Most controllers for a console have two joysticks, you use the left for moving forwards, backwards and sidestepping, and the one on the right to aim and turn in a "freelook" style.

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

IMO, aiming with a gamepad is simply painful. I have tried many times to play console games that require you to aim (Goldeneye comes to mind) or to steer using the gamepad's extra joystick-like accessories and had to desist after my thumbs grew numb. Perhaps I am clumsy, but I never had that much trouble aiming in Half-Life using the mouse.

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Yeh sure, using the mouse is easy to aim, but so is using a gamepad, i find its simple and easy to use the gamepad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.