1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Online versus Pen & Paper

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Kitiara, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

How many have actually played the pen & paper original version. I am curious to know in this day and age is it still played?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at January 10, 2007 09:36 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Online versus Pen & Paper (35 votes.)

Have you played pen & paper D&D (Choose 2)
    * Yes - 91% (32)
    * No - 9% (3)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've only played a few characters online for not too long. Fara invited me to his TableTop PnP game (A Game of Thrones d20, not D&D) which will probably start within a few weeks. A very low-magic campaign, I like that.
    I'm really looking forward to it. I also wonder how it would be to play PnP, cause i have never done that before.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have, and I do as often as I can. Much better than computerized gaming.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I prefer online. Can focus much more heavily on the RP side of things (without looking like idiots). But then, only played proper PnP once, and half the group were falling asleep with jetlag and the other half were Australian.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    PnP is about total freedom of choice and unlimited possibilities (if you're lucky enough to play with a good DM).

Playing online can be fun, it is a lot easier but I don't like having a limited number of "quests"; when you play a PnP campaign you can do whatever you want and that's the definition of RPing IMHO.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Quite right Caradhras. roleplaying games on a computer will allways be inferior to the pen and paper game.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Perhaps I misunderstood the original question. I thought it was refering to tabletop verse online (such as playing DnD using OpenRPG, IRC or some other program). If it was talking about CRPGs vs PnP, then PnP all the way.

8. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yep. Been playing for about ten years now. I think it's more like twelve. But, ten is a good-sounding number. "2nd Ed. all the way!" and such. Non-Weapon Proficiencies were a [bleep].

CRPGs are still good and all. But, PnP is far-and-away much better.

@ Rotku: Only a New Zealander would have something against an Australian. But, I laughed, 'cause we Australians still have Phar Lap, Pavlova and Russel Crowe...Not that that last one is that great...

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

:lol: It has been more than ten years since I played PnP myself, so I have forgotten most. I enjoyed it very much. I don't know more than one playing PnP anymore, wich mainly is the reason for not playing anymore...

10. Rotku

Cheesegear - not that wikipedia is a failproof source, but it says that the earlist mention of a pavlova was in New Zealand, beating Australia. Just like the ANZAC buscuits. And no idea what or who Phar Lap is/was :p

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have been playing on and off since I was a teenager. I love the unpredictability of the game.

12. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31

@ Rotku; I know Pavlova is a New Zealand-ish invention. And Phar Lap is Australia's most famous race-horse, and he was imported from New Zealand. And I know about ANZAC biscuits. And Russel Crowe....
    But, most people over here (Australia) consider all of the above as 'Australian'.

I think I saw an ad on TV while I was in New Zealand one time that said;
    "Good Things in New Zealand can be measured by how fast Australia can steal it."

...That was the joke.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Played it a few times but the end result was usuly a lot like the "...I'm casting it at the darkness" sketch. The DM was hopeless.

14. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have both played and DM'ed, if you get a good or decent group with a good or decent DM then it can be awesome. Unfortunatelly im an average DM at best, and usually not even that so i can not say my own sessions as a DM have been "groundbreakingly fun" for everyone. :(

I have not tried the online version i must admit, i have tried to set up something like that with a couple of buddies a time or two but it just never worked out.

15. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Both have their good sides and bad sides. I admit I played PnP in a single session and that was it, but the people there were quite good by themselves. Maybe it would work itself out after few more sessions, but I found that I don't have enough of an actor in myslef to enjoy it.

When it comes to computer, one is far more limited, but doesn't have to actually "play it out" himself. Then there's the keyboard thing and it really puts a cramp in one's style if you are not "all ten fingers" profficient. ;) (At least in mine it does).

16. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Both are great fun, but for the few I know who play online or single player PC games, most agree: PC games are just filler between campaigns.

I'm a DM. I've run a total of three games. One to completion, one to a dead end (invited old players to invite their own friends and got another DM who never understood what "house rules" mean), one in progress and a fourth about to start. Yep, I'm planning on running two games at once. And you know what, I think I'm very good at it.

Lots of book work, though.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Playing with 'real people' is fun. It's communicative, you're there, all that. Also, actually rolling the dice makes it different.

Online it is different in the sense that typing is very time consuming, especially when people to expect you to write on the adventure epically on a board after already playing for a couple of hours on a chat. I think you'll remember, Kitty ;) Not to mention that you're hard pressed to argue why typing is indefinitely preferrable to more direct forms of social contact and interaction, right now. Good point.

It's bad enough when you play computer games online, but at least then something's happening on the screen :shake: In that sense, NWN offered a compromise, though I never bothered trying out real DMed online adventures.

18. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have and still am; currently in a group with 3 other PCs and, of course, a DM.

I've played online as well and it's certainly very enjoyable, but in my opinion you can't beat meeting up with your friends and really getting into character :)

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

P&P is fun!

20. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I agree with some of the above posts in regard to Roleplaying (capital "R")... I was recently invited to join a campign where they "Needed a couple red-shirts," so I created a pop-culture charicature of Anna Nicole Smith (Annanika Swift, human ranger) and her sidekick, Bobby Trendy (Halfling Bard). I introduced them with the story that she's trying to redecorate the palace to be more "retro" and she heard that the old wizard's tower had some great furnishings... The idea for these two was really to have fun getting them killed. Two gaming sessions in, they're still not dead, but the party may cheer when they they do die... Meanwhile, everyone agrees the game is a lot more fun just because of all the roleplaying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.