1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: on real magic

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Did you hear that Fel? Don't mess with magic or you will be cursed!

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Shoshino:
    Yes, they did use the term esper to describe the magical beings in FF3 (originally 6 in Japan), but originally the term was coined as ESPer (denoting use of Extra Sensory Perception or other abnormal powers like Psychokinesis).

@LNT:
    Whoa there. Telepathy is not mind-control; just communication from mind to mind. Mental domination is not something I would ever pursue. I prefer the randomness of the individual. :roll:

@NOG:
    Didn't you notice? I'm already insane. ;) As for the curse, I've had that from birth. Alternating tremendous luck and horrendous luck has shaped my CN nature from the beginning, leading me to believe in the chaos that is the universe. :roll: I fully expect to meet a bad end, but it's not something I'm worried about at the moment.

3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Fel, if possible, could you please give us a description of your magic: how you do it, what happens, flashes of ethereal light, ect...

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'll have to say that I'm too very sceptical about Fel's abilities but everyone has the right for their beliefs I suppose. ;)

I don't believe in magic, fate, destiny or anything like that. Afterlife being one exception, since no one can really say anything about what happens after we die and no one ever can, so it's to me a bit more complicated matter, probably mostly because of just ceasing to exist does not sound all that fun to me. ;)

5. Felinoid

Okay. Nothing fancy happens (no light or sounds or anything) and gravity defiance is both unconfirmable and very unlikely, IMO. I've only managed it once for a fraction of a second (by accident) with an inanimate (and very small) object, and my own seemingly floating stride could just be the way I walk.

Horizontal movement seems to be the current limit of my ability, and pushing is considerably harder than pulling. For larger objects like a door or chair, the best I've been able to do is move it a couple inches into my hand, and only rarely at that. Pushing large objects is even more limited, and so far almost negligible.

My technique is fairly cliche: arm pointed at object, open palm facing object. I've also made it work with simply a piercing look, but it's considerably harder to concentrate that way. Emotion helps with focus (the stronger the better), and on occasion I've even done things accidentally when feeling a particularly strong emotion, but such events are rare and untestable due to their unpredictability.

Telepathy is limited to a very small amount of group empathy (sensing the emotions of groups), but is completely (and frustratingly) unconfirmable at this stage since I could just be reading body language or the situationally probable emotion. (Example: Strong belief in a church? Well duh! :rolleyes: )

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Felinoid, surely the scepticism being displayed in this thread should not come as a surprise to you. What you are describing is something that none of us have any experience of, so it is only natural that our first reaction would be to say "no way, what are you smoking?"

It is a shame that there is no way for you to show us what you can do so that we can expand our horizons.

7. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Haha, very funny thread.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Well, I don't think you are trying hard enough Fel.

Practice, practice, practice! Commit yourself to practicing every morning, for one hour, nay, two hours, beginning at 5:30 AM. Videotape the entire process, then watch the video, every night, from the hours of nine until eleven PM, taking rigorous notes of all occurances.

If you really want it, you'll follow through.

9. Felinoid

@HB:
    No, I'm not surprised, and frankly I don't expect anyone to believe me, no matter how sterile an environment I perform in. The real question I put before you is "Do you want to believe?" If you do, then whether I can or not is simply an incidental question to your belief, and can be shrugged off easily. If you don't, then I'm certainly not going to convince you no matter how hard I try. As JREF puts it, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Proof which cannot be easily gained in a single lifetime.

That is why I've dedicated myself to the development of telepathy, to the near-exclusion of enhancing my PK. If I can pass my knowledge on to another, perhaps someday the proof can finally be achieved. :bigeyes:

@LNT:
    I guess I haven't adequately impressed upon you the difficulty involved. If I did what you're suggesting, I'd have no time or energy for a normal life (much less posting on SP). The continuing utter lack of energy would lead to depression and most likely suicide. Moderation is always the best policy.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's not a case of wanting or not wanting to believe. If I get enough evidence then I will believe. I try my best to be unbiased.

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Hmm, clearly your failure is a personal fault. Your just weak Fel. Someone with something so extraordinarily beneficial to his fellow human beings would devote the whole of his efforts or else be judged abominably selfish by any reasonable individual.

If you weren't such a bad person you would practice ten hours a day.

12. Felinoid

@LNT:
    Let's see you do it. :p You probably don't even have the reserves necessary to pull it off once, much less repeatedly as I have. If I am weak, then you are weaker; consider that before you criticize. Though it's just a theory on my part (derived from subjective experiences, and thus not entirely trustworthy), the difficulty is on a logarithmic scale not unlike the Richter scale.

And it's hardly selfishness to want to be able to continue practicing and learning for as long as I can. Consider a high level of effort (say, your ten hours a day) over a remaining life span of perhaps a year. Compare that to a relatively easy one hour a day over a life span of many decades, and you can see that it's more beneficial to take it slow at first. It's quite likely that I will ramp up the effort as I get older (especially if I'm able to retire comfortably and have more free time), and it is certainly my plan to do so. Still, one can never be certain what changes the future will bring.

13. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"Side effects may include: dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water
    retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis,
    coma, death, and halitosis. Magic is not for everyone. Consult your
    doctor before use"
    Seriously now there are plenty of things we don't not understand dreams , the "placebo" effect (witch was considered by science not true until recently ) etc. ,the worst opinion someone can have is the impossibility of something ,like so many times in history

14. Felinoid

:lol: Well now that you mention it, my bum has been feeling a little itchy lately... :shake:

You do bring up a good point, though. Remember the deep meditiations I mentioned earlier? Poking around in your mind is not for the faint of heart; you can and will find dark things about yourself that you never knew existed. Dementia, psychosis, and pretty much any other psychological ailment are definite risks when attempting something like this.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, and for all I know, my ability is simply a delusion resulting from prodding where I shouldn't have. Given others' reactions to things I have made happen, however, it would have to be an extemely large delusion that encompassed my entire world (including SP and all of you :jawdrop: ). And endulging in such thoughts is counter-productive at best; I prefer to simply go on with my life. If this is all real, then I'm fine and nothing has changed. If it's fake, then I'm simply enjoying myself until they pull the plug on my real (and probably comatose) body.

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Well Fel, I can only offer a word of caution: Beware as you graduate to larger and larger objects; the force your mind projects will be equally returned as a telekinetic force projected by the object. If you budge a heavy chair, you may receive a concussion for your efforts, if you budge a horse, your brain could be squashed against the back of your skull. It is a dangerous path you "float" down young man.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    We are rapidly leaving the realm of AoDA and entering Whatnots -- however, the thread is not moving. Please refrain from posts that are only jokes. Make a point and add a joke, fine. Make a joke with no other point, not fine.

'nuff said.

17. Felinoid

@dmc:
    So if LNT continues to be a joke without a point (JK ;) ), does that mean you'll ban him from the Alleys? :hahaerr: (Uh oh, must make point quickly or face mod wrath.)

@LNT:
    It doesn't work that way. I've never felt any 'backlash' from doing it. I figure the alternate force (if any) is applied on the air molecules that the moving object is displacing, in order to move them to the space the object is vacating. Considering the way everything else in the universe works, though, I doubt it's that tidy.

For all I know, I could be ripping a hole in the fabric of space-time (in which case there's SO much more I could be doing :evil: ) or maybe I'm ... well, I can't seem to think of anything mundane, but that's where I was going with this. Wherever in the spectacular-to-mundane spectrum this really fits, the explanation of it is still an unknown, even to those who practice it. I guess if it ever really gets consistant and measurable, they can look for an explanation then; I'm certainly not going to waste time on it while the results are still somewhat unreliable.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would be interested to know whether your claim to magic has anything in common with this: http://www.whywiccanssuck.com/learn0.html --- which I found some time ago but lacked (and am still lacking...) enough belief in magic to be bothered putting it to the test.

Maybe some more dedicated magic-people here can try it or something *shrugs*

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Aik,

Sorry but the link doesn't appear to work.

From memory I have had three personal experiences of the paranormal.
    Two dream visions, one of which was a mundane household scene which repeated itself identically the next day. The second was a landscape scene as seen from a house. A couple of weeks later we visited a historical building and the landscape as viewed from the building was a damn close match. It was the first time the building had been opened to the public (it was a country house that had never been fully completed and was being converted to a museum detailing it's life. - It still had graffiti from soldiers based there in world war 2)

The third experience was specifically putting an object at the far side of the room, and finding it at my bedside the next morning.

I have absolutely no extra sensory perception, but I know a number of different people on totally seperate occasions have had reactions to the fireplace in the main hall at my mothers.
    Coincidence? possibly - and I'm not aware of any reported haunting of the house. However, the Lady of the house was raped and murdered by the Roundheads (The Parliamentarians in the English Civil War) The house also contains a priest hole with all that might entail and, (supposedly) a secret escape tunnel. However, History does not relate any tale connecting to the fireplace.

The town I grew up in had a history of witchcraft. The infant school was apparently sited where the local coven used to be held and the witches weren't exactly happy about it. I remember Mum (as head of governors) being called out on a weekend after the caretaker had discovered bones in the school grounds. (There was a concern it might have been a sacrificed chicken, which it wasn't). I never understood what the big deal was about. Wicca is not about worshipping the devil as some people seem to believe (thanks to early church teachings). Just treat it as a different religion with their practices as different ways of praying to their gods. (Maybe with a better chance of having your prayers answered?)

20. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wicca is a very insincear religion based (stolen!) on Alistair Crowley's teachings (who lets face it, was a madman).

How can someone believe in Jesus, the Irish goddess 'Morrigan' and Isis all at the same time, and not expect conflict within their 'religion'?

Whats even more strange is that most Wiccans love Buffy and Charmed. That says it all!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.