1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I was 3 out of 4. While two favorite and two underdogs won, if you play the point spreads all of the underdogs were winners. That's probably the first time that's every happened, especially in this round of the playoffs where the home team's advantage is the greatest. In the divisional round, home teams win nearly 80% of the time. By the time you hit the conference finals, home teams don't even win 60% of the time - a rate that is very similar to the regular season home team winning percentage of 57%.

The Patriots did win as I predicted, but I think that it is more appropriate to say that the Chargers lost that game more than the Patriots won that game. There were a lot of tough luck bounces, stupid penalties and stupid mistakes. If any of those things don't happen, the Patriots lose that game.

To wit: (1) Not covering up the fumble on the punt, instead of trying to pick it up and run with it, and as a result losing the ball. (2) That stupid, stupid, STUPID head-butt penalty that set up the Pats for a field goal to make it 14-13. (3) Letting Troy Brown strip the ball on the interception - great play by Brown, but you have got to hold onto the ball. That one was especailly a killer, as there was only about 6 minutes left in the game, and if the turnover had stood, the Chargers could have run a significant amount of the remaining time off the clock.

Harrison is not Manning's only receiver. Reggie Wayne is also on the Colts, and this year his statistics are almost identical to Harrison's.

2006 stats:

Harrison: 95 rec, 1366 yds, 12 TDs.
    Wayne: 85 rec, 1310 yds, 9 TDs.

So yeah, Harrison had a slightly better year, but not significantly. In fact, Wayne is averaging more yards per catch (15.4 vs. 14.4), and Harrison's receptions per game aren't even one greater than Wayne's (5.9 vs. 5.3).

Having said all that, I still think I have to go with the Patriots. Both the Pats and Colts won this weekend while getting less than spectacular play from their QBs. I doubt that will happen to either QB two weeks in a row. Still, even though it's in Indy, the fact remains that the Brady-Belicheck combo is 12-1 in the playoffs, and until Indy beats them in the playoffs, I see no reason to pick against them.

For the Bears, it's the same thing as last week. If Grossman plays even an average game, the Bears are the better team. Given the inconsistency we've seen from Grossman this year, I don't think he can do it two weeks in a row, so I'm taking the Saints. (Besides, unless you happen to be a fan of the Saints' opponent - like T2B for example - you simply CANNOT root against the Saints.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I feel disparaged here, even violated.

I AM NOT A BEARS FAN.

Whew. That makes me feel better. I really want the Saints to win, I just don't think they can overcome the weather here. This morning it was 8°F (yes, single digit) when I woke up. Current forecast calls for 32°F at kickoff. A few more degrees and the Saints will have a good chance.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :doh: You're a Seahawks fan. I know that. You know I know that. I know that you know I know that. I have no explanation for my mental lapse.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    *ahem*

I would like to point out that NO ONE chose the Bears as a possible Superbowl winner in the poll, and there's only ONE vote for the Colts. That would be mine. :D :roll:

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, in that case, you're looking really good Rally - as I would have taken whoever came out of the AFC to beat whoever came out of the NFC. I'm kind of bummed out about the Saints. I was rooting for them - how could you not - ever since in became evident the Steelers were stinking up the joint this year.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The colts against the bears. I have seen it with my on eyes. I stil have to look again to believe it. This is the first season I was able to watch and I already dislike some teams. Gladly those did not make it, so I can watch a great game. Only problem is to get home before someone tells the result. It starts in my timezone around midnight.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Almost game time.. I'm rooting for the Colts, after a comeback like they had against the patriots they deserve the win.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Today, not next week?

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

:bang: got the dates wrong :rolleyes:

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    A true Bears fan....

A man had 50 yard line tickets for the Super Bowl Bear's game. As he sits down, a man comes down and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next to him. "No," he says, "the seat is empty."

"This is incredible," said the man. "Who in their right mind would have a seat like this for the Bears Super Bowl game, the biggest sporting event in the world, and not use it?"

He says, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Bears game we haven't been to together since we got married in 1967."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. But couldn't you find someone else - - a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat?"

The man shakes his head. "No, they're all at the funeral."

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hehe, that's pretty funny :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.